Best Roads to ride in Washington State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my bible:

bookcover.gif

https://washington.destinationhighways.com/

:coolsmiley02:

Scott

Did you guys buy just WA state, or BC & Cali as well? I mean, those aren't cheap! BUT, I do trust the opinions of those on this forum, so if ya'll say the books are good, well, so be it. :)

Did you guys buy just WA state, or BC & Cali as well? I mean, those aren't cheap! BUT, I do trust the opinions of those on this forum, so if ya'll say the books are good, well, so be it. :)

Just WA for me, we have the map as well. On all our trips we have tried to incorporate a destination highway road, so far they have been lots of fun.

The information they give you as to the quality of the road makes it worth the money

They give a rating to twistiness, pavement quality, engineering, remoteness, scenery and character, so you have some idea of the road before you even get there.

DB

I had a chance to chat with one of the Destination Highways authors at the Seattle Motorcycle Show in Dec. He suggested buying the Wa and BC books, as together, he said, you can have the riding equivalent of riding in New Zealand. So I did, but have not had a chance to really use them yet.

Buy all three. Back in the day I'd grab a set of AAA maps and plot out a course. Now it seems I just can't have enough websites/books/maps/maping programs when planning out the yearly "Extravaganza" trip. It's almost like half the fun is matching all the different sources, comparing reviews and dreaming of the adventures to come. Jenny used to wonder how I could spend sooooo much time planning a bike trip. Short answer, I could plan a long, multiweek trip in a couple of hours for sure, but I just love the search for that one little obscure road that few have ever seen or heard of. After joining me on these trips for the last few years, she no longer wonders.

I have WA and BC and Northern CA. These books just can't be beat. I'd love for the author to do Montana too. Yes, they are slightly expensive, but have paid back handsomely in enjoyment and information.

Scott

I had a chance to chat with one of the Destination Highways authors at the Seattle Motorcycle Show in Dec. He suggested buying the Wa and BC books, as together, he said, you can have the riding equivalent of riding in New Zealand. So I did, but have not had a chance to really use them yet.
I spoke to them at the show too, asked them to put the routes on disk so that we could just upload them to the GPS, or combine them in a mapping program so as to incorporate them into longer routes.

They seemed to like the idea, but then again they could have been just tolerating me who knows. :blink:

DB

Buy all three. Back in the day I'd grab a set of AAA maps and plot out a course. Now it seems I just can't have enough websites/books/maps/maping programs when planning out the yearly "Extravaganza" trip. It's almost like half the fun is matching all the different sources, comparing reviews and dreaming of the adventures to come. Jenny used to wonder how I could spend sooooo much time planning a bike trip. Short answer, I could plan a long, multiweek trip in a couple of hours for sure, but I just love the search for that one little obscure road that few have ever seen or heard of. After joining me on these trips for the last few years, she no longer wonders.
Plusone. I can spend hours just looking at maps, google maps, thomas guides, rand mcnally road atlases, and the best of all, Destination Highways. Crap, I thought I knew and had ridden all the lesser known roads in the southwest corner of Washington, until I started reading this thread. So last night I got out my DHWA book and found some new roads less than two hours from my house that I NEVER KNEW EXISTED. Now I have a new purpose in life. :rolleyes:

...Just WA for me, ......They give a rating to twistiness, pavement quality, engineering, remoteness, scenery and character, so you have some idea of the road before you even get there.
If they could just tell you when it wouldn't be raining like hell.

Instead, I always have to call Niehart.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to them at the show too, asked them to put the routes on disk so that we could just upload them to the GPS, or combine them in a mapping program so as to incorporate them into longer routes.

They seemed to like the idea, but then again they could have been just tolerating me who knows. :blink:

DB
I think they are going to do it, as I am on their mailing list and recently got a link to a set of questions sent to me to help them determine formats and other stuff.

...Just WA for me, ......They give a rating to twistiness, pavement quality, engineering, remoteness, scenery and character, so you have some idea of the road before you even get there.
If they could just tell you when it wouldn't be raining like hell.

Instead, I always have to call Niehart.

:D
I can tell you when it's not 105 degrees.

If any of youse is planning to come to the WCR rally this year, Destination Highways is one of the event sponsors and you can get a discount on the DH books and maps as part of the registration fee. You can check out the deal DH is offering at:

https://www.fjrrally.com/WCR/index.php?page...mp;sub=Sponsors

I mean....not that you'd go to the rally just to get the discount or anything, just that if you're going to the rally anyway, there's a little bonus from DH that you can snag...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got all 3 books and the companion map, I found I use the companion map more than the book, I got them at the motocycle show. paid $60.00 for book and map. book retails for $60.00 map for $30.00