best seat for large riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

psymon

New to the forum. Recently purchased 06 1300ae . Love the bike! Only problem is that the seat is uncomfortale. Maybe because of my size , 6'4" 240 . Don't know... Purchased an airhawk seat pad but still get squirmy after fifty miles or or so... ... Any suggestions out there from some of the taller riders would be great. there are many seats available including the yamaha comfort seat , which is less expensive, but I haven't read to many positive reviews of this seat... any suggestions would be appreciated very much!

I did a quick search and couldn't find the thread, but I distinctly remember one discussing the weight limitations (220? pounds and over?) of foam-based aftermarket seats (i.e., those by Bill and Rick Mayer and most non-Russell custom seat makers). IIRC, Bill and Rick's dad sold Russell Daylong the patent on his sprung seats, but he and the boys all continued to make foam seats for lighter people.

Personally, I did a full year and ~13K miles on the stock seat (sometimes being cheap HURTS) before picking up a Rick Mayer. Now, four years later, I've got >60K miles on that RM seat despite my large (~240 - 250#) carcass. If I know I'm going for more than a couple hour ride, I also wear LD Comfort shorts to wick away moisture.

Don't know if the foam is finally compressing or I'm getting more sensitive because of less saddle time, but these days I'm reminded that I'm sitting down starting about 3 hours into a ride. Earlier in the seat's life, it was 6 or 7 hours before the first fidget. Guess I ought to schedule a drop-in at RM's for a refurbish.

If money's tight, the driver-only RM seat was in the $300 range and has received about 75% positive responses (based solely on my memory of seat threads). I think Russells start at about $800 and have about 95% non-complainers.

I'm not small by any means. 6'4" and pushing 290. The stock seat was terrible. I got a Bill Mayer seat and it helps a lot. Buttttt, 350-400 miles a day. I really want to try a Russell to compare. From what I've read the Russell may be the way to go, even thought I think the BMS is good and their service was excellent!! I think the Rick Mayers are similar, but I have heard people in the forum say the had some issues getting things done. ?????

If you every get the chance to ride with others trade bikes for a bit and try out some of the seats, has to be the best way! Wish I had that chance!

I don't know about weight limits for foam seats but I can do 400 miles a day on my Bill "Rocky" Mayer seat. I am 260 and not a small guy. Rocky Mayer is also a big boy and he rides very long days on his foam. The foam comes in different densities for different weight people. I have had two BMS seats made on ride in appointments and would not go anywhere else. Last time I was there they were making a seat for a guy that was well over 300 pounds. It was a big seat.

I do know that they are wonderful people to work with and would be happy to talk with you on the phone.

300 #'s here. Russel Day Long on my Harley and my 06 FJRAE. If there is any way possible, get one. You will save your self money and pain in the long run. The "wings" are the secret. Some people don't like the appearance, but your butt will love it.

Russell%20Day%20Long%20Saddle.JPG

Russell.

6'2" x 250+ lbs.

Last vacation to Canadian FJR Rally started with 520 miles, then 460, then 420. 4500 miles in 13 days, last day was 960 miles from Jackson WY to Sacramento CA.

And I could have ridden the next day.

Buy a Russell.

New to the forum. Recently purchased 06 1300ae . Love the bike! Only problem is that the seat is uncomfortale. Maybe because of my size , 6'4" 240 . Don't know... Purchased an airhawk seat pad but still get squirmy after fifty miles or or so... ... Any suggestions out there from some of the taller riders would be great. there are many seats available including the yamaha comfort seat , which is less expensive, but I haven't read to many positive reviews of this seat... any suggestions would be appreciated very much!
Here's a pic of my '05 with a Corbin seat. It's not their standard Corbin fjr1300 seat, rather it's based on the KLR650 seat. I wanted a nice flat seat that I could move around on. The stock seat was completely too confining for my size (6'7", a bit north of 300lbs). They also raised the driver portion to make it flat, so I got a little more legroom. I can slide around to take the pressure off now, but not much room for a passenger.

fjrseat.jpg

Here's a pic of my '05 with a Corbin seat. It's not their standard Corbin fjr1300 seat, rather it's based on the KLR650 seat. I wanted a nice flat seat that I could move around on. The stock seat was completely too confining for my size (6'7", a bit north of 300lbs). They also raised the driver portion to make it flat, so I got a little more legroom. I can slide around to take the pressure off now, but not much room for a passenger.

fjrseat.jpg
I like the looks of that. I prefer the old UJM type flat seats of the 70's and 80's... didn't know they would build it up for you. hmmmm

But I'm thinking about a Steve Rich Saddle out of Seattle. Sat on one for a guy near my size and COMFY. Good reviews generally. I just don't like the wings on the Day Long's.

Having said that, with motorcycle shorts I did 1000miles in two days in April and 950 on the way back in one day. On my way to Idaho for WFO I did three 500 mile (+/-a couple miles) in a row, and 4300 miles in 11 days: On The Stock Seat. 30,000 miles so far total. They kinda break in but not easy after 500 miles at all. I find the miles easier in the twisties when I move around more. Slabbing it hurts more. I'm 6'1" or so and 320.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 6'2" 230lbs and I really like my Russell Day Long. The wife and I can ride all day and never even think about monkey butt again. Worth every penny.

6'2" 220. On my 1st gen FJR I have bought, tried and sold:

Corbin Canyon Close (came on the bike). This was a nut jammer and hard as a plank

2006478060098858932S200x200Q85.jpg

Corbin Canyon Regular (free trade w/ a shorter guy that wanted a "Close") More room for the boyz but still too hard for words.

2993697250098858932S200x200Q85.jpg

Stock seats (bought on eBay for a song). My bike came with a Corbin, remember?

You know what they look like

Stock seats (reworked with 1" Gel and memory foam insert by "KnoPlace.com") Not bad. Still look stock but much better.

2945505070098858932S200x200Q85.jpg

Corbin modular "custom" drivers seat with some extra padding and heated, finished in gray leather. Bought used on the forum .

Nice seat, but even with extra top cushioning this seat had the Corbin brick feel thing going on.

I did learn that I do not need seat heaters, even in New England.

2056417200098858932S200x200Q85.jpg

Rick Mayer Dual custom finished in vinyl. Bought on the forum from a salvage bike. Owner was same size as me. It was close to being good. But it still slid me toward the tank too much and I got some butt burn after only a couple hours of riding. It was the penultimate seat. ;)

2301166650098858932S200x200Q85.jpg

And now, finally, here is the last step of the above journey:

Russell Daylong solo custom (passenger seat still has KnoPlace Gel) covered in black leather in half moon stich pattern.

2765603910098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

2339826280098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

This seat is the bomb diggety for me. All of the other seats have been sold off. I can ride on this seat All Day Long, All Week Long, and not think about my butt once. It is The Answer (for me anyway)

The only thing I am likely to do is to get a matching sculpted rear seat made up for the missus over the winter. I actually have an extra stock passenger seat pan standing by that I will be doing that on so I can keep the one in the above picture. I think this one will look better when I don't have a passenger sitting on it, and it is pretty darn good for short rides anyway with the gel and foam.

n.b. - The first picture of the Russell is "as delivered." The last picture is after 10k easy"break-in" miles. It is still black, the picture is just over exposed. But the "butt pocket" has formed very nicely!!

Last edited by a moderator:
... [snip] I think Russells start at about $800 and have about 95% non-complainers.
My Day-long is still in transit from Cali, but it was 675 for driver and pillion. One could easily spend 800 on a daylong by having the seat made out of leather (mine is vinyl) or custom fabrics and such but the website actually says that the driver only seat starts at 470$. Adding in the 'big butts' option advertised on the website may add to the price but honestly I don't think you can do better than a Russell saddle. I researched obsessively and tossed it around in my mind for over a year before pulling the trigger on a day-long. In that time I can't recall finding a person that didn't like the seat. A few needed some tweaks before they were happy but everyone keeps theirs.

The other side of the coin.... I looked at a Mayer seat and found a few owners that were either self described XXL or like me, no-assed that were less than ecstatic owners.

I also own a Corbin Canyon, I love the look and when I want to drop the bags and pretend I'm a sport bike for a day, this one goes on. Like Fred W said, however, it is a nut jammer when 2-up and hard as a plank. I even took the cover off mine, used a bread knife to shave out a chunk and replaced it with soft egg-crate foam and a piece of camping pad... its still crazy hard. This is NOT a touring seat.