Best Towing Service?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I'm planning a cross country trip through the US and Canada later this summer. What's the best towing service in the event I have mechanical problems??

Route includes Rt. 2 across most of the country and 90 back the other way...

when I did some comparison shopping last year, I settled on KOA's RoadHelp plan (actually a rebadged Allstate Motor Club plan). It cost on the high end of the spectrum ($80 year), but it seemed to have the richest benefit and the least restrictions. AMA Motow is not bad if you're already an AMA member (I'm not).

You really need to look at all the details... Some plans are for your motorcycle only, other are for all vehicles owned, rented, borrowed. Some even say "2 motorcycles 1980 & newer. $5 each additional" or require you to register your vehicle with them in advance (so no borrowed or rented vehicles). They have differing limits on dollar benefits or towing distance.

The one variable I've not been able to factor is customer service and performance. I hope to not find out.

Here's some of the companies I looked at....

Let us know what you decide

Some helpful information about ama's motow. I am an ama member and have their motow ins.

Here is the catch and you make the call. They say they will come and get you any where you are on your ride. But they will only tow you 35 miles from where they pick you up, so if a town where a shop is 85 miles away you have to pay the difference between 85-35= 50 miles times per mile charge is it worth it?

If you find one better post I am interested in changing for something better.

hopes it helps.. weekend rider :)

that's one of the things that attracted me to KOA. Their website says...

Whatever type of RV you have, if it becomes disabled anywhere in the U.S. or Canada, call us toll-free. We'll send the help you need. And, if necessary, we'll see that your RV is properly towed to the nearest shop capable of handling the repairs it needs, even if that's hundreds of miles away
Remember that their coverage is for all vehicles, not just RVs. Well most people consider motorcycles as recreational vehicles anyway.

I have the AMA (though I'm Canadian) & our CAA Plus which works both sides of the border (your AAA...I believe)....anyway, with the plus membership they pick up bikes....& will tow 200 k (125 miles) on either side of the border....at least that what I was told....just FYI.... :D

I have the AMA (though I'm Canadian) & our CAA Plus which works both sides of the border (your AAA...I believe)....anyway, with the plus membership they pick up bikes....& will tow 200 k (125 miles) on either side of the border....at least that what I was told....just FYI.... :D
My wife and I have Gold Wings and HRCA or Honda Red Rider Club will tow you to the nearest honda dealer, no penalty on milage and they are supposed to make it to any bike if you have HRCA membership. Will find out for sure next week while at wingding in Nashville Tn :clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: .

rogerfjrfaster :D

I read through zillions of threads on numerous forums and decided to go with KOA. It seems the service is largely about the stated benefits since practically everyone contracts through others to provide the actual service. KOA seems to have the most generous towing benefits. Everyone else has caps of 100 mi or less.