Best Travel Trunk For FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texzilla

Reaction score
I am headed for Alaska in July of 06. I am looking for the best trunk available.Is it the Yamaha factory model or Givi or........? I need durability and something with a good backrest as well.

I need to get this right the first time as I will only be home a short time from the middle east before leaving on the big adventure.

Thanks,

Zilla

I've got the Givi 46 and love it. I rode to work today and have my boots, rainsuit, helmet, and HT Overpants stuffed in it without problem. I personally think it looks better than the Yami box, it's pretty straightforward to install and seems secure so far. My wife rides with me and likes the security of something behind her - we did not order the pad and she likes it just fine without. Haven't had any significant rain to test its water integrity, but that may happen this afternoon. I've been riding with the top box on w/o sidebags and can't really tell any difference. Rode with top and side on yesterday and at speed (70 or so) the bike kinda wobbled back and forth. Took the sidebags off for the commute today and no wobble.

Good luck with your decision.

I have a Givi 46 that is 7 years old and over 100,000km on it. I took to Alaska on my FJ and then moved it to my FJR and went around North America :cownoy:

I also ride with it every day. I only use the side bags on longer trips. It hold all my riding gear from sweaters, to electric vest to locking chaing, overboots, rain suit, riding pants, warm weather riding jacket, extra gloves, overpants, kitchen sink, etc etc. I have the backrest option on mine which the SO appreciates.

It is waterproof, stable, you can get one with a rear light mounted on it, the givi rack is ok to mount and if you want to get fancy some have it powdercoated.

This is it loaded for bear in the mountains of NCal.

14448011-M.jpg

I would say go for the Givi. I have the factory and the back rest portion sucks. The box itself is fine and you use the same key. I now have a sargent seat and am going to try and use the sargent backrest with factory trunk. But don't yet know how it will work

I have the Givi 46, and it's been through 5k+ miles and plenty of rain. No issues at all. I would recommend it.

Texzilla,

All I keep hearing about the Givi 46 is that it "looks better".

Bah, Humbug! My Givi 52 liter looks great and holds a helluva lot more. I can get two full face XL Shoei helmets into it with room to spare. In fact, I can take the 46 liter model and set it INSIDE the 52 liter box. You will be glad you have the extra volume when you're repacking on the road.

Good luck,

dobias <_<