Better Riding Techniques

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclebabble

Reaction score
Well trying to be a good forum member I searched using "riding techniques", "better riding techniques" and didn't come up with anything.

So then tried to find an appropriate forum for this question and wasn't sure where to put it. So please move it if I made a boo boo.

Anyway since EOM I have been thinking about learning to ride my FJR better. I have read Sport Bike Riding Techniques, Proficient Motorcycling and many others. But I can't see any real improvement in my abilities. It could be that I was amazed at the way many of the riders were so confident and the control they had over there FJRs. I had heard how the Feej was a very capable bike, and was impressed at what I saw people were able to do. Extrememarine, Zooomm, and many others I tagged along behind completely blew me away with their "spirited riding"as Jim called it.

Michigan doesn't even begin to have roads like Southeast ohio, West Virgina, N. Carolina or many others. The roads in W.V. just blew me away, I had fun negotiating the turns, but yet lacked confidence in negotiating blind turns. I know the bike is capable of far more than I am.

So my question is How do I become a better more confident rider?

Is a track day something to consider? Maybe a riding school?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Chris

Yes.

Gaining confidence to ride aggressively on blind curves is a fool's mission.

We have great twisty roads here, running up and down the Cumberland Plateau, and on over into the Smokies.

There are many times when I've rounded a blind curve and found

a) tree down across road

b.) group of deer in the road

c) tractor with empty hay bale skewer awaiting any comers

d) local in late model SUV or pick up truck taking their half of the road out of the middle

e) vehicle backing out of blind driveway in blind curve

etc. etc. etc.

I have personally come up on all of these things.

We also have the rockwall and the cliff which I've been fortunate enough to avoid.

If you want to do a Valentino Rossi impression, take it to the track where your "off" will be set up for better energy absorbtion, and where animals, trees, and other vehicles won't be in your lane.

On a public road, don't carry speed into a curve that you can't scrub off within your line of sight.

Last edited by a moderator:

That would be two great starts.

Racetracks are the best place to learn the limits of the bike , (and your own).

Although nowadays I am a fairly sedate rider, back in the day I did my best to "push" the edge riding on the street and actualy thought I was a force to be reckoned with.

Then I joined WERA and got out on a track and found out I did not know shit about riding fast.

Like any sport a good coach can be of great help, so finding a riding school will help alot.

Reading books and looking a photos just is not the same as being on your bike and having someone knowledgable to show you what you should be or should not be doing.

Track days are a great place to exercise and hone your skills. There's the added bonus of instructors to help with body positioning and other tips to accurately manage your motorcycle.

It's usually better to have an experienced rider work with you because they can observe what you are doing. What you might "feel" you are doing correctly in many cases is not the situation.

And don't ever plan on ripping a blind corner unless it's on a race track. On the street, the risk far outweighs the bennies.

One last thing is to consider your suspension set up and possibly upgrade the shock in particular.

You are already on your way to becoming a great rider in light of this thread.

Kudos!

Well trying to be a good forum member I searched using "riding techniques", "better riding techniques" and didn't come up with anything.
So then tried to find an appropriate forum for this question and wasn't sure where to put it. So please move it if I made a boo boo.

Anyway since EOM I have been thinking about learning to ride my FJR better. I have read Sport Bike Riding Techniques, Proficient Motorcycling and many others. But I can't see any real improvement in my abilities. It could be that I was amazed at the way many of the riders were so confident and the control they had over there FJRs. I had heard how the Feej was a very capable bike, and was impressed at what I saw people were able to do. Extrememarine, Zooomm, and many others I tagged along behind completely blew me away with their "spirited riding"as Jim called it.

Michigan doesn't even begin to have roads like Southeast ohio, West Virgina, N. Carolina or many others. The roads in W.V. just blew me away, I had fun negotiating the turns, but yet lacked confidence in negotiating blind turns. I know the bike is capable of far more than I am.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Chris
Word. Print out this post and hang it where you keep you bike's key or helmet and read it before every ride.

Yes.

Gaining confidence to ride aggressively on blind curves is a fool's mission.

We have great twisty roads here, running up and down the Cumberland Plateau, and on over into the Smokies.

a) tree down across road

d) local in late model SUV or pick up truck taking their half of the road out of the middle

etc. etc. etc.

We also have the rockwall and the cliff which I've been fortunate enough to avoid.

If you want to do a Valentino Rossi impression, take it to the track where your "off" will be set up for better energy absorbtion, and where animals, trees, and other vehicles won't be in your lane.

On a public road, don't carry speed into a curve that you can't scrub off within your line of sight.

OK, sorry, quoted wrong post. I meant to quote this one. It's late and I'm tired.

So my question is How do I become a better more confident rider?Is a track day something to consider? Maybe a riding school?Thanks in advance for your comments.Chris
As has been stated above,yes to track-days,and riding tech schools(be it race/street/both).Well worth the cost,think of it as saving for a toy.This one will last a life time !

A couple of safe ways to work on your streetriding,is to tell yourself never to cross the line(that includes your head),and when you go into a blind turn you can never go faster than the sight distance it takes to stop.Then you can add a sniffer ahead of your bike that can tell you what's going on around a blind turn(if you don't know where to get a sniffer,or how they work.It's like this,you find someone to ride with that's a little better than you and let them lead(important not to follow close,give them room to stop with out having to worry abuot you kissing their butt),and ride your own ride (don't go faster than what you feel safe/comfortable).You do not have to speed to work on tech.

Sniffer- I like that term. Mine rides BMW"s and is he good, clean lines and spirited pace.

I have taken Reg Pridmore's Class at Sears Point with both my FJR and FZ6. Took my riding to another level.

I am going to attend Lee Parks total performance school. I honestly do not think I am that good of a rider, and want to get better. I learn best by visual learning and then doing it, books help but I like to feel it to really understand what they are talking about. For instance today, due to road construction, I had to turn around on a dead end road and to head back.I was faced with a steep incline to get on a narrow road with a blind turn to the left. I was trying to turn right and found myself leaning to the right and almost dropped the bike, and luckily I was able to muscle it up to a neutral position. On smaller lighter bikes I could get away with it , the FJR is a heavy beast and bad habits are getting apparent. I am learning the bike, but I figure getting an expert coach would be a real asset for myself.

For instance today, due to road construction, I had to turn around on a dead end road and to head back.I was faced with a steep incline to get on a narrow road with a blind turn to the left. I was trying to turn right and found myself leaning to the right and almost dropped the bike,
Not sure if I understand you clearly but for the low-speed situations you want to be more or less on top of the bike rather than leaning into the turn.....again, if I understand what you're describing.

Books help but I like to feel it to really understand what they are talking about.
I took Keith Codes 3 day class(turned my riding life around).One thing he told me was "If you want to see how much you've learned from this class,you'll find out when you get home and go for a ride on your favorite road".

Anyway,back to the books.I find that the books come into play more for me after the classes,it's alot easier to get the jest of them.

Riding courses are essential to improving.

I would recommend the basics first. I dont know if you have taken the MSF BRC and or ERC course. But they are an excellent start.

You must put you ego away when riding with others. Ride your own bike and if they are quicker than you.. letem go... First time I rode with the california boys I was suprised at how inadaquate my skills were for their pace.

I have taken the BRC, the ERC, and the ST-ART twice.

I save up for my school days on the track. Bout 300 bucks for the ST-ART (sport touring advanced rider training) Worth 10 times that much.

To note as well.. I felt a bit rusty two weekends ago and did not have my head in the game.. After one canyon I came back to my area of town and found a large empty parking lot behind a large office building and practised slow speed tight figure 8's around planters and light poles.. I did this for almost 30 minutes straight..

Make sure you have a good master of the basics, Learn the other stuff too,mmm but wityout the basics well ingrained you will never get as much from the other techniques as you should.

Ride you own bike... Stay aware, be safe.. All of those things are compatible with riding quickly, with the proper education..

As stated above "On a public road, don't carry speed into a curve that you can't scrub off within your line of sight." That is true.. But the basics make your Ability to do this much more effecient.

For instance today, due to road construction, I had to turn around on a dead end road and to head back.I was faced with a steep incline to get on a narrow road with a blind turn to the left. I was trying to turn right and found myself leaning to the right and almost dropped the bike,
Not sure if I understand you clearly but for the low-speed situations you want to be more or less on top of the bike rather than leaning into the turn.....again, if I understand what you're describing.

Unless there is gravel or sand ignore the roads lean, your tires will hold.. If there is gravel or sand look at where you want to be and ignore the road (meaning =ignore the gravel of sand too)

The bike can lean all the way over at speed till parts drag.. The lean of the road during a slow speed maneuver is nothing to consider. Consciously ignore it and ride the bike

The poor man's method to becoming a better rider:

-Take a MSF Basic Rider Course. Then take the Experienced Rider Course.

-Ride...and ride a lot. The more miles you rack up, the more experience you get, the more comfortable you become, and the more you encounter situations that will force you to become a better rider.

-Whether you're in the car or on the bike, watch traffic and, especially, other motorcycle riders. Note what they do well and what they don't do well.

-In the spirit of the above statement, attend some FJR rides coordinated thru members of this forum (or ST-N, etc). There are some really good riders on here. I've learned quite a bit from just listening to them during gas stops and, of course, watching them ride.

-Finally, be sure to ride a lot! :D

Interesting thread.

In the past, I've been content with doing more 'touring' than 'sport' riding.

EOM changed that. In the short time down there, I've discovered the 'sport' side of the FJR's personality and I like it!

I'm going to work on my techniques and skills with the hope of focusing on even more 'sport' riding. Only bummer is, there aren't many (hell - ANY) decent roads within an hour's ride from here. And NOTHING like the roads around Lewisburg.

Now if I could get some track time at Mid-Ohio....

Here's my 2 cents..... After you have learned the correct techniques be sure to practice them ALL THE TIME when you ride. For instance, after completing a corner, reflect upon yourself what you did right and what you did wrong. If you did do something wrong correct it for the next time. Again... always practice proper techniques when riding. If you stick to doing this your skill will eventually improve the more you ride. Good luck!!!

Interesting thread.
In the past, I've been content with doing more 'touring' than 'sport' riding.

EOM changed that. In the short time down there, I've discovered the 'sport' side of the FJR's personality and I like it!

I'm going to work on my techniques and skills with the hope of focusing on even more 'sport' riding. Only bummer is, there aren't many (hell - ANY) decent roads within an hour's ride from here. And NOTHING like the roads around Lewisburg.

Now if I could get some track time at Mid-Ohio....
There are roads down in the Hocking Hills area that you could get to for a day ride easy...take advantage of those... :clapping:

Gaining confidence to ride aggressively on blind curves is a [SIZE=12pt]fool's mission[/SIZE]

a) tree down across road

etc. etc. etc.

AMEN!