Bicycle speedometer for FJR???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw on a cycle site awhile back where a guy wired up a bicycle speedometer on his FJR - put the sensors by the back wheel and routed wire to the front and attached the speedometer on top of his instrument panel - was more accurate and easier to read than the FJR speedometer. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but maybe use a bicycle speedometer with a remote wireless sensor.

Has anyone ever tried this - with either a wired or wireless sensor? I'm thinking maybe the wireless remote sensor signal would be messed up by the electrical system of the motorcycle???

Here is how it is done:

FJRTech: Installing a Sigma Cyclometer on your FJR

The Endurance Riding community learned long ago that you don't want to use a wireless one because the signal/sampling rate is not sufficient to make readings accurate above 60-70 mph. Below that is fine - most bicycles don't move that fast.

The hard-wired Sigma is accurate up to the max speed of the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>Has anyone ever tried this - with either a wired or wireless sensor? I'm thinking maybe the wireless remote sensor signal would be messed up by the electrical system of the motorcycle???
I'll tell a little story: About a decade ago, some friends and I were leaving cold northern climes in the winter and trailering dual-sport bikes way south for riding in desert/mountain areas where it was warm.

Well, two of my buddies decided they'd install a bicycle speed computer device on the one buddy's ATK 605 (that had no device for speed or miles). They got it all installed and working (checked by rolling the wheel while on the stand) in the warmth of the heated garage (in the, previously mentioned, cold northern clime).

When ready to go in the warm southern riding area, the big Rotax single on the ATK was fired-up -- and, all the digits went to zeros (or dashes...?). Anyway, it wouldn't work with the engine running -- suspected stray electronic emissions were the culprit.

Good luck (FJRs probably don't have stray 'whatevers'...?). :rolleyes:

Can't resist......

Check out the Vapor or Vector computers made specifically for motorcycles. I've got one of the Vapors on my bike, and it's good over 200 mph. Also made to be powered off the bike, has a tach and temp sensor, backlight, yada yada...

Please don't interpret as a pitch, just trying to make you aware of a motorcycle-specific product rather than a bicycle product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is how it is done:
FJRTech: Installing a Sigma Cyclometer on your FJR

The Endurance Riding community learned long ago that you don't want to use a wireless one because the signal/sampling rate is not sufficient to make readings accurate above 60-70 mph. Below that is fine - most bicycles don't move that fast.

The hard-wired Sigma is accurate up to the max speed of the FJR.
Gunny! Sigmas are simple and work. :)

My 04's speedometer is off about 2mph at 60. I think I'll spend the $$ on beer. Ian, Iowa