Big Day Tomorrw

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JRO said:
#1 - my wife liked it best* (she and my oldest tested ST's, before I did)#2 - no performance advantage to a de-tuned Hyabusa engine (Kawasaki promised more, but delivered a lot less)

#3 - price was better on the FJR

#4 - less maintanece costs for the FJR

#5 - the bugs are gone from the FJR - who knows about the C-14?

#6 - better extended warranty

#7 - I grew up with a nearby Yamaha dealer

* She doesn't ride, except on the back. I don't know if #2 to #7 had anything to do with the purchase, actually. Reason #1 probably fixed the deal.

[SIZE=12pt]Probably!?!?!?????[/SIZE] :rolleyes:

1) How easy to change oil and filter?
2) How often and how expensive to adjust the valves?

(Depending on how many miles per year you intend to ride, it is a maintenance cost to be factored into ownership.)

[SIZE=8pt]Many FJR owners ride mega-miles thus have to do the valve adjustment "dance". 26-28K is pretty decent mileage before valve adjustment is due on the FJR. Even if they have to be checked, there are rumors that the C-14 engine has to be dropped out of its frame to access the head/valve covers. Best to check with the dealer because that would certainly add to the cost and time of that particular maintenance job.[/SIZE]
Oil and filter is easy to change on the C-14. The rumor of the C-14 engine having to be dropped out of the frame to do valve adjustments is just that, a rumor.

(Depending on how many miles per year you intend to ride, it is a maintenance cost to be factored into ownership.)

[SIZE=8pt]Many FJR owners ride mega-miles thus have to do the valve adjustment "dance". 26-28K is pretty decent mileage before valve adjustment is due on the FJR. Even if they have to be checked, there are rumors that the C-14 engine has to be dropped out of its frame to access the head/valve covers. Best to check with the dealer because that would certainly add to the cost and time of that particular maintenance job.[/SIZE]
Oil and filter is easy to change on the C-14. The rumor of the C-14 engine having to be dropped out of the frame to do valve adjustments is just that, a rumor.
Murf,

Rumors....Hmmm....I talked to my local dealer (The Hitching Post, Fridley, MN (763) 502-9400 , They sell both Yamis and Kawis) when I was deciding between these two bikes. Here is the straight scoop. The Hitching Post quoted me $600-$900 for the 15,000 mile service on the C14 depending on valves(how many need adjustments). They also quoted me $250-$400 for the 26,000 mile service on the FJR depending on valves(how many need adjustments).

Lets compare valve maintenance cost between the C14 and the FJR1300:

Valves maintenance costs only on the C14: At 90,000 miles you'll have done your valves 6 times with the next valve service due at 105,000 miles(I averaged the quote range $600-$900 to be $750 a pop). You've spent $4500+ tax on valve maintenance at this point. Basically 33% of the cost of the ride. OUCH..... :-( !!!!

Valve maintenance costs only on the FJR: At 90,000 miles you'll have done your valves 3 times with the next valve service due at 104,000 miles(In fairness I will quote the dealers $250 - $400 average at $325 plus tax). You've have spent $975+tax on valve maintenance at this point. Basically 8% of the cost of the ride. SWEET.... :) !!!!

Ok, So valve maintenance costs on the C14 are 5 times more expensive than the FJR. This is definitely a consideration for a buyer that is truly gonna sport tour the machine and rack up the miles.

For a buyer that only puts a few thousand miles a year... Not as big of a consideration.

This was a big consideration of mine.

WW

Make sure to ask him about the cost and hassel for maintenance on the C14. You may want to look at all those issues beforehand, hint hint.

FJR valve clearance checks are at 26,000 miles.

I believe the Connie is 12-14k miles??

But, that said, either one of these bikes will be a spectacular ride for many happy miles.

One quick question for all us fjr owners.

If any one of us walked into a dealer, saw our FJR, even test rode it, bought it and love it as much as we do. How many of us would actually care about valve adjustment intervals? If the maintenence schedules were reversed with the c-14 would you have bought it instead? I have never considered this for any toy purchase. We are in love with our FJRs because we connect with them. Ask a Ducati owner if they would get rid of their bike for maintenence costs. This person must buy a bike that moves his soul! Just as our FJRs do for us. So far all the points that have been made are valid, and good points but biased toward the FJR. :blink: We would love to see him get a FJR and welcome him to a great family, IF it is the RIGHT bike for him. Only he can decide.

I do hope he chooses The one we love. :clapping:

Good luck with your hunt,

Dave

Murf,

Rumors....Hmmm....I talked to my local dealer (The Hitching Post, Fridley, MN (763) 502-9400 , They sell both Yamis and Kawis) when I was deciding between these two bikes. Here is the straight scoop. The Hitching Post quoted me $600-$900 for the 15,000 mile service on the C14 depending on valves(how many need adjustments). They also quoted me $250-$400 for the 26,000 mile service on the FJR depending on valves(how many need adjustments).

Lets compare valve maintenance cost between the C14 and the FJR1300:

Valves maintenance costs only on the C14: At 90,000 miles you'll have done your valves 6 times with the next valve service due at 105,000 miles(I averaged the quote range $600-$900 to be $750 a pop). You've spent $4500+ tax on valve maintenance at this point. Basically 33% of the cost of the ride. OUCH..... :-( !!!!

Valve maintenance costs only on the FJR: At 90,000 miles you'll have done your valves 3 times with the next valve service due at 104,000 miles(In fairness I will quote the dealers $250 - $400 average at $325 plus tax). You've have spent $975+tax on valve maintenance at this point. Basically 8% of the cost of the ride. SWEET.... :) !!!!

Ok, So valve maintenance costs on the C14 are 5 times more expensive than the FJR. This is definitely a consideration for a buyer that is truly gonna sport tour the machine and rack up the miles.

For a buyer that only puts a few thousand miles a year... Not as big of a consideration.

This was a big consideration of mine.

WW
WW:

The only two items I commented on was the ease of changing the oil and filter on the C-14 and the "rumor" the C-14 engine has to be dropped from the frame to check and do valve adjustments. I made no reference to comparison of the costs to adjust the valves.

Fact is the oil and filter are easy to change on the C-14, and the C-14 engine does not have to be dropped from the frame to do valve adjustments. However, the frame over the engine design does make it a PIA to check and adjust the valves on the C-14, and will agree with ya it definitely will cost more over the miles to inspect and adjust valve clearances on the C-14 compared to the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Murf,

Didn't mean for my comments to come off sideways on you. I am unsure of what all is removed for this service on the Kawi. Just wanted to share my 1st hand information of the maintenance costs difference between the two bikes. Whether you have to drop the motor, remove frame parts, and/or remove the right mirror.?.?. The C14's maintenance cost issues regarding simple valve adjustment checks and even changing spark plugs is a motorcycle owners nightmare/money pit! No Thanks!

WW

Well we all know how good a source our dealers are...........mine quoted me 13 hours to check the valves on the C14 and 12 hours to check the valves on the FJR and he said the milage to do the check was the same on both bikes at 24,000 miles !!!!!

I may buy from these guys because they are cheap but I usually don't let them wrench on my ride, that said the FJR is looking better for do it yourself maintenance. Also the fit and finish of the FJR is head and shoulders above the C14.

I did not get to test ride them as planned because the weather was very poor that day and the C14 was not shifting yet.

Well we all know how good a source our dealers are...........mine quoted me 13 hours to check the valves on the C14 and 12 hours to check the valves on the FJR and he said the milage to do the check was the same on both bikes at 24,000 miles !!!!!
I think the mixup came from the C-14 owners manual. The valve adjustment intervals are listed at 15,000 mi. and right under that it's listed at 24,000 km. But 15000 mi. is the reccomended time interval. And I think the repair manual lists the time at 6-8 hours. But as with any inline Japanese 4 cylinder engine under all that tupperware, it has to be time consuming to just get to the point of getting the valve covers off to do the valve adjustments. And I wouldn't think the C-14 should be that much different or difficult than the FJR or a ST. I would quote 13 hours as well on the 14. I've actually heard the maintainence on the 14 is fairly easy like the FJR. Actually when you drain the oil on the 14 there is no catch area or foam pieces to interfere like the FJR. Just one example. PM. <>< :blink: :D

One quick question for all us fjr owners.If any one of us walked into a dealer, saw our FJR, even test rode it, bought it and love it as much as we do. How many of us would actually care about valve adjustment intervals? If the maintenence schedules were reversed with the c-14 would you have bought it instead? I have never considered this for any toy purchase. We are in love with our FJRs because we connect with them. Ask a Ducati owner if they would get rid of their bike for maintenence costs. This person must buy a bike that moves his soul!...
One quick answer -

I always ask about maintanence intervals and costs, AND reliability. I consider this before purchasing a motorcycle, and I know others who do likewise. There are so many bikes that will move my soul, I could never hope to own them all. Having a bike that will move my ass , and keep it moving, is an important part of choosing a bike for many folks.

Some important comparisons can be made right in the showroom. Riding position is quite different. If you like sport ergos the C14 may feel better to you. The FJR favors touring proportions. Be sure and bring your pillion along if you ride 2 up. Mine vetoed the C14 immediately and did not even want to go on a test ride. She played it low key as she knew I wanted to take it out. Also put them side by side sans bags. No contest there. You might actually want to ride them that way some day.

While the Kaw was nice and smooth it did not have nearly the low end grunt of the FJR, especially in the hills. Two up would have been even more of a difference. At high rpm's the Kaw really came alive but I don't spend much time at those elevated levels. The C-14 had a better low speed throttle feel stock but I have since farkled the FJR to be even better. The '08 probably dosen't need this. Both bikes handled well but I can't say I pushed them. I have since ridden both more aggressively and felt the Yami had the edge even stock and has incredible advanced potential, for the truly discerning rider, with relatively modest changes.

Throw in the C-14's appetite for Premium fuel, limited range (5.8 gal) and service requirements and the decision became appearant.

I came away feeling that the in the ST arena the C14 represented the sport end of the S - T spectrum. I wondered if riders considering a C14 would be better served by a ZX14 fitted with bags as the range and comfort are not dissimilar but the performance would be very different.

One quick question for all us fjr owners.If any one of us walked into a dealer, saw our FJR, even test rode it, bought it and love it as much as we do. How many of us would actually care about valve adjustment intervals? If the maintenence schedules were reversed with the c-14 would you have bought it instead? I have never considered this for any toy purchase.
One quick answer -

I always ask about maintanence intervals and costs, AND reliability. I consider this before purchasing a motorcycle, and I know others who do likewise. There are so many bikes that will move my soul, I could never hope to own them all. Having a bike that will move my ass , and keep it moving, is an important part of choosing a bike for many folks.
I am one of those guys who thinks it matters! I bought my FJR on the PDP program and had to wait 6 months+ to get it. Believe me, I did my homework before I put down the money. The valve adjustment and other service intervals WERE factors in my decision because I intend to keep mine for quite some time. While the FJR may be a toy, it is also a tool for my sanity and serenity. I didn't need a "hanger queen" that looks great, but something dependable and easy to maintain for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles......

While the FJR may be a toy, it is also a tool for my sanity and serenity. I didn't need a "hanger queen" that looks great, but something dependable and easy to maintain for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles......
I have that ole' Who song on my iPod Shuffle play list.

It really works well for me when I'm riding.

"I can see ride for miles, and miles, and miles, and miles, and miles....

...oh yeah! :yahoo:

I really had no idea so many people actually asked about stuff like this. Untill I read a post earlier today I never knew people actually had to wait so long for these. I first found this site after I bought my bike, so research was a couple of days while I waited for delivery. My CBR was 16,000 miles and thought this was about average. Never considered comparing maint cost for a bike. Kudos to those with fore-thought. I will still own a bike I love even if it has higher maint costs.