Big flat aluminum rear plate for dry-bags etc

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William England

Reaction score
Hi!

Not even sure what this is called - but on the ST1100 there was the 'Major Rack', big flat rectangle of machined aluminum with lots of slots. You used it instead of your top case and could easily strap a big-ass duffle or dry-bag to the back when you're camping.

Is there something like that for the FJR?

Our goal is to be able to transport the daughters softball catchers bag to games and practices - 37x14x16, about 30 pounds.

smile.png

Thanks,

Will

Take a read, sprinkled throughout this thread are issues and answers with possible solutions for your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 12" square of 1/8" thick aluminum plate, mounted directly to the OEM rear rack. My Pelican 1520 then attaches to the plate. 45,000 miles with no problems and no hints of sub-frame cracking. (The OEM rear rack distributes the load to various sections of the rear sub-frame; your mileage may vary.)

McMaster-Carr has it for $16 - https://www.mcmaster.com/#88895K36

It's not especially pretty in it's unpolished form, but I always have it covered with my Peli case. You could anodize it or powder-coat it, or even use spray paint to pretty it up.

Go to Touratech-USA.com

They have a reasonable priced luggage rack for the FJR and not bad looking either.

Sorry I could not post the URL.
uhoh.gif

30 pounds will probably be a serious overload for the stock rack, if it hasn't already been pointed out in the linked material above.

Yes, that's not the "stock" rack, but it's mounted to the stock rack, with nothing added to reinforce against the dreaded cracked rear bulkhead.