Big ups to Tourmaster's Sentinel rain gear!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharif

Reaction score
The wife got me the Sentinel jacket/pants for Christmas. We're getting a fair bit of rain today, and my ride at lunch had me dry as a bone.

Great suit, roomy, fits over a jacket.

How small does it pack for storage?
Pretty tidy - the jacket folds itself into an integrated pouch in the back, and I simply roll/rubberband the pants. I'll post some pics of it next to a side bag.

I had a set, and the pants leaked like I'd been swimming. Something in that crotch panel not done right or something. I also found them extremely hard to put on, with the lining always catching on my boots. I did like the jacket, though.

Before the Sentinel I had a Defender, also from Tour Master, tore it up in a low-side, and I got another Defender to replace the Sentinel. The whole suit packs smaller than just the sentinel jacket, and has a carry case so there's only one package instead of two. And I've never gotten wet inside the Defender.

As for the packaging, here's the Sentinel, jacket on the bottom, pants above. Pants come with a carry pouch which has a snap strap to attach to the jacket, keeps them together.

rainsuit.jpg

As I said, the Defender packs jacket and pants in a bag about the size of the lower one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the picture. Considering a 2-piece rain suit instead of my 1-piece, but storage space is a factor.

For comparison, the Defender. Still a 2-piece suit, but they are sold together, and pack into a single bundle:

Rainsuit-Defender.jpg

I have the sentinel rain gear as well. With a little work you can fit both the jacket and pants in the pouch that comes with the pants. I can fit my xl pants and jacket in the single pouch about the size of the one piece shown above

Defender is not a one-piece . . . . Just sold together as a set, and fits, as designed, into a single pouch.

Another difference between them: The Sentinel zips the jacket to the pants, just like regular gear. If you don't zip them together, the pants will slide down the back and soak your butt. The Defender pants have suspenders, there's no attachment to the jacket, and they're not going anywhere. They also have a stirrup strap to keep the leg bottom down on your foot.

I had a set, and the pants leaked like I'd been swimming. Something in that crotch panel not done right or something. I also found them extremely hard to put on, with the lining always catching on my boots. I did like the jacket, though.
Before the Sentinel I had a Defender, also from Tour Master, tore it up in a low-side, and I got another Defender to replace the Sentinel. The whole suit packs smaller than just the sentinel jacket, and has a carry case so there's only one package instead of two. And I've never gotten wet inside the Defender.

As for the packaging, here's the Sentinel, jacket on the bottom, pants above. Pants come with a carry pouch which has a snap strap to attach to the jacket, keeps them together.

rainsuit.jpg

As I said, the Defender packs jacket and pants in a bag about the size of the lower one.
Same for me. The pant are total junk. Been better off buy cheap ones from Walmart. Which is what I did to wear under the Tourmasters. At least I'm dry now.

+1

Same experience with the Sentinel pants....and the jacket.

I hear good stuff about Toggs as far as keeping dry, but I also hear they need replacing rather often, don't hold up well. My son bought a set to ride from here to D.C. and they didn't finish the trip, although he didn't say why, specifically.

Interesting to read about the Tourmasters, will keep them in mind.

I know I need to find a better solution to the Frog Toggs. On rides during SFO they kept me dry, but on the way to & from SFO encountering very heavy rain they were worthless. I was drenched from my navel to mid thigh. Most unpleasant and disappointing.

Interesting to read about the Tourmasters, will keep them in mind.
I know I need to find a better solution to the Frog Toggs. On rides during SFO they kept me dry, but on the way to & from SFO encountering very heavy rain they were worthless. I was drenched from my navel to mid thigh. Most unpleasant and disappointing.

Sorry to hear about the bad Froggy experiences. Had mine 3 seasons and they've been great. Holding up well. Perhaps just lucky.

Sorry to hear about the bad Froggy experiences. Had mine 3 seasons and they've been great. Holding up well. Perhaps just lucky.
Yeah, I had high hopes for the Toggs after reading the enthusiastic reports on them. They seem fine in light rain but in a deluge mine do not perform well. It sucks to have a soaking wet crotch, especially when the temperatures are a bit cool.

Maybe the Frogg Toggs are just not meant to handle frog stranglers?