BigJohn's Alaskan Adventure - The Trip Begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poker run today before a steak dinner and biker games culminating in the wiener bite contest. You'll see the wiener bite at the Black Hills Roundup June 2018! JSNS......

The poker run was all off the pavement, some challenging roads, some dirt, some marbley gravel, some Rocky rugs and some soft silt/sand. I don't have a lot of experience off the pavement, maybe 500 miles of practice. I scared myself once or twice but no fall, no foul!

We start up the Dempster tomorrow morning. No more updates until Tuesday night when we should return to Dawson from Inuvik, NWT. 500 miles of Shale and gravel each way.

At least tell me that you are taking pictures and (quite effectively) teasing us with the promise of an epic ride report???

Keep going Big John. Even if you don't post any pics (and I hope you do) you are still The Man. I am in awe of you doing this ride.

There are some folks on this forum that would make Superman step aside. Big John is one of them.

Got a text from John a short while ago. He is in Inuvik. Although he says all is well, I am concerned he may be experiencing a mental snap. He said, "KLRs RULE!!!" I am deeply concerned.

Sunny in Inuvik (day and night this time of year). Temperatures in hi 60's to low 70's all week. He hit it pretty well for weather!!

Got a text from John a short while ago. He is in Inuvik. Although he says all is well, I am concerned he may be experiencing a mental snap. He said, "KLRs RULE!!!" I am deeply concerned.
No reason for concern, He's right:) :) :) :)

I'm following BigJohn on his Facebook postings. Yesterday's installment was "over the top"!
rolleyes.gif
If you are on FB, just send Big John a friend request and he'll add you. Good stuff!

Past three days have been amazing. Back in Dawson City YT after an assault on the North pole, LOL. We left Saturday morning bound for Inuvik NWT via the famous or infamous Dempster Highway. 440 miles of all kinds of gravel. We ran into thunder storms and rain about 29 miles up the dirt. Of course this was coincidental with fresh gravel. Rained on and off all day. We pulled into Fort McPherson About 2200 and spent the night some 130 miles South of our goal. Up and on the road in time to catch the first ferry across the Mackenzie River, we arrived in Inuvik a bit after noon. We had all agreed that we wanted to go to the Arctic Ocean. The local tour operator arranged a special trip for us and we flew North at 1730, it was about an hour and a half flight looking at several scenic things, an old abandoned DEW Line radar site, a reindeer farm, Some geographic features called pingels before landing at the Arctic Village of "Tuk" shortened because I can't spell it, look at the spot link or on my Facebook page for pictures. We got back to Inuvik at about 2300, still daylight as the sun doesn't set above the Arctic circle from May till August. We hit the road about 0700 this morning, the road was in much better shape on the return trip answer were able to run 50-60 mph in many places. All was well until the BMW GSA hit the gravel at the Mackenzie River Ferry approach. A low speed, 25mph get off, no one hurt, the bike list a little plastic, the rider was wearing one of those co2 inflatable vests which really worked well. After making 100mph tape repairs,we continued on the way to Dawson City arriving about 1900. Wi-Fi code for campground stolen and you get a post. Tomorrow we do Top of the World Highway to Chicken and Tok.

enjoy the Top of the World Highway. You will get to see some of the best pavement for about 10 miles on the US side of the border. The scenery is out of this world. Watch out for the graders, they tend to leave large berms while they are working the road.

Can't wait to see the wiener bite contest. All I can picture is Big John dangling by his jaws from a hot dog on a rope like a pit bull. Or The Golden Knight after he tried to

from the Del Fuegos.

Awesome looking ride. John, looks like you're doing some circles there around Klondike, you get into the good stuff stash again did ya?

The Dempster ate my chain, tires were getting marginal, my spares, both tires, sprockets and chain were all installed late in the evening in Tok, a BMW guy, CJ Johnson provided a place, a tire machine and some assistance. The rain cut loose just as we finished. Breaking camp really sucked in the rain, but the Blue Beast has new pins and is really feeling her oats with one more tooth on the front sprocket. We left Tok in rain and ran down the ALCAN to Haines Junction where the sun was finally out. I made an error in judgememnt while replacing my tires and reused my well patched front tube, it failed as we approached the Canadian border. We made short work of replacing the tube with the new one I had on hand. At Haines Junction we turned off the Alcan and the nect several hours were simply magical, religious, etheteal, simply amazing. The scenery kept unfolding as we rounded each bend, each scene better tjan the next. We stayed in the old Fort Stewart Officers Quarters, now a hotel.

Dinner in tbe same, they kept the dining room open late for us, bar too. After 4 Jamesons the sleep was wonderful and the gear we brought,inside was dried.

Thursday found us on the 1400 ferry to Skagway, Four Cruise ships queered our interest in exploring Skagway. We mounted up and headed towards Watson Lake.

We quit at Rancheria where we camped at dusk. It was relatively high and it got cold, all three of us froze out and were up early. On the road at 0730 and after fueling we turned South onto the Cassiar Highway. This writing finds us camping in Stewart BC. We will go to Hyder AK in the morning, look at tje fishong bears and head further south on the Cassiar. Next stop TBD. The KLR can now run 70 mph without sounding like it is coming apart. The new Kenda 90/10 tires are much better on the pavement. More tomorrow as I think we will hotel it again. From the Prince Edward Hotel Dining Room, Stewart, BC