Bike carrier

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnCaged

Reaction score
I'm looking for the type of carrier that slides into the Hitch and allows you to wheel your bike across the rear of the vehicle, I know there's a few of em out there, have any of ya'll tried one or another? Look'in for some feed back..

Thanks for your time........

Uncaged

Call a motorhome place. They have a ton of info on those things as per tha motorhome is usually what you see them on.

Be careful with this choice of bike hauler. Even motor homes with very strong frames and carefully constructed carriers have issues becaus eof the great amount of weight that is now cantilvered out the back. I would absolutely stay away from hitch mount carriers unless you talking about a little scooter or dirt bike under 200 lbs.

Go with a light weight trailer if you want to take your bike with you. There are plenty available that are easy to load, hook up and tow perfectly well behind the average car. I hauled my FJR from Portland up into the Nelson, BC area last Sept. behind my Acura and it was effortless and worked very well. It was a great way to enjoy a vacation with my wife in some beautiful country with great riding roads and without busting our butt in the saddle on hot freeways. I will do this often to get to an area I want to ride in the future. Besides I can carry a lot of cold beer and chilled wine for the evening this way.

Be careful with this choice of bike hauler. Even motor homes with very strong frames and carefully constructed carriers have issues becaus eof the great amount of weight that is now cantilvered out the back. I would absolutely stay away from hitch mount carriers unless you talking about a little scooter or dirt bike under 200 lbs. Go with a light weight trailer if you want to take your bike with you. There are plenty available that are easy to load, hook up and tow perfectly well behind the average car. I hauled my FJR from Portland up into the Nelson, BC area last Sept. behind my Acura and it was effortless and worked very well. It was a great way to enjoy a vacation with my wife in some beautiful country with great riding roads and without busting our butt in the saddle on hot freeways. I will do this often to get to an area I want to ride in the future. Besides I can carry a lot of cold beer and chilled wine for the evening this way.
Could you maybe post a link to the one you used?

Welp I'm using my F150 to haul it with.

I know you would think I'd just put the bike in back. BUT I want to be able to have the cover down and lock my gear and still haul the bike.

I Know there are some carriers that can take 600LBS. I just wanted some feed back on a good brand etc. etc.

I'm not concerned with the weight on the truck. I used to pull one of those old school travel trailers ya know the one's that put about 1000 lbs on the Hitch........lmao.......j/k. but ya know what I mean.

Thanks for the FeedBack................

Uncaged

TejasFJR

I don't have a link to any site. Try Google and put in motorcycle trailers and a variety of products come up priced anywhere from $500 to $5000. For my purposes, I bought a Snowbear trailer from Home Depot, put a single rail in it, added some good tie down brackets and ensured the axle, wheels and bearing were in good shape. I can ride on with the tailgate dropped and back off real easy. Light, tows easy, works well for me, for under $1,000.

Uncaged

Go to Google and check out motor home motorcycle carriers and read some of the reports from folks who have had nightmare experiences from the units that are welded/bolted to the frames or hitches of the units. I would not trust these carriers with my toys.

bikerskier?

I can't find any negative information anywhere, I'm sure you must of had a bad experience. If the thing is built correctly I don't see how it can be a problem.

I'm sure if you buy a chepo depot kind of unit it might fall apart. But I'm not gonna buy somethings that's crap. Thanks for your concern though.

If it does fall apart and it's rated for the weight I'm carring........

Can you say LawSuit!!!......lol

Uncaged

My trailer coupling exerts 500 lbs downforce at rest from my 5,000 boat and trailer. And that is AT REST. I am sure that 500 lbs is GREATLY magnified when going up and down over uneven road surfaces at speed. Although I can feel it in my Avalanche, it has in the past 3 years not caused the least bit of trouble with my frame mounted hitch, which I think is rated for 750 lb downforce and about 7500 trailer weight. However, my trailer tongue hitch does not load the hitch with any torsional moments that a mounted MC would.

On another note, and since this is almost ANYTHING GOES.....(and I will mention the FJR)...........

For those who hate the SUV's...my Avy, although weighing 5,800 lbs......gets about 18-19 mpg on the highway, but only about 12-13mpg around town. Hmmm it can do this when stuffed with 6 people and a bunch of stuff in the back. My FJR, which weighs about 10 times less, gets only about 38-42 mpg with at most 2 people plus very little else. Fuel economy in that comparison, (people and hauling) goes hands down to my evil SUV. Actually the FJR is embarrassingly UN fuel efficient in comparison. Those on this site lambasting the fuel wasting SUV's surely can find a two wheel ride that is not so fuel in-efficient as the FJR. :)

Last edited:
You Go Centerline!

I have a Full Size SUV myself! I didn't buy it or my bike for Fuel economy!

I bought them because I like them!! that's all. If I want good gas mileage I will ride my Mountain Bike.......lmao

Gas Was meant to be burned..........so was Money..............lol

Uncaged...................................

I have a used tommy lift on the back of my truck that I have mounted wheel chocks & strap points ,, works great for me ,, ride onto it from the side ,, set the back chock ,, strap her down ,,

the bike !!! you guys kill me!!!

I have used it to take the bikes to shows or to a shop ,, longest trip was 1500 miles to get some work done on my Indian Chief

BTW it's on a '86 Dodge Ram Royal long bed ,, 128,000 miles ,, bought it off the showroom floor ,, :cownoy:

I have a Versahauler single bike model. I use it on the back of a full sized Ford Bronco with an additional leaf spring added. It does exert a lot of force on the backend by virtue of the leverage and weight. Without the spring, it would carry the bike but caused a lot of sag. You do need to watch dips when driving as the rear can scrape. You will need a vehicle with good carrying capacity. I have a Tahoe and I think that it is sprung to soft to carry it without a lot of sag. I also had the heaviest duty reciever hitch installed that was available. The hitch/carrier combination will easily carry the weight.

I have a KLR 650 and a KTM LC 640, both weighing around 400#'s. The carrier handles them fine and I probably have 5,000 miles carrying them with me on trips, back and forth to my farm, and to take either my car or bike in for service and riding the other one home.

It does not seem to effect gas mileage unlike a trailer which costs me 4 mpg or so.

They are limited to 500#'s and I would start to be very nervous at that weight. They would not work with a FJR. I also have a ZX 9 Ninja and I would not consider carrying it on the carrier and the FJR is heavier yet.

https://www.allwebscooters.com/versahaul.asp