Bike communication

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to try one of the new Autocom systems as I was happy with my old one. But they are pricey! A local FJR rider says she ditched the Sena for the Cardo Scala because it works much better. She almost has me talked into buying one of those.

I recently ditched my Collett system. I wasn't unhappy with it in the least. But I would like to talk to other riders on group rides. All these systems are proprietary which means your sort of forced to follow the crowd.

It's for sale if anybody is interested (uhm.. $175?)

Went to a Sena SMH10. Works great, but when they say line of sight, they really mean it.

I have the J&M CB unit and am pleased with the quality, the sound, and the versatility. My ZUMO with its MP3 player is integrated and does exactly what I want it to do. Depending on the wind, sound can be almost living room good to barely audible, but is mostly very good (I do wear foam ear plugs which improves the performance). CB works because it is the most universal communicator and can alert you to traffic, LEO activity, and access to general information. It also has weather radio which is the most reliable source of information that directly impacts your ride. I am glad I bought this at the same time I bought the bike.

You can get a direct plug and play unit from Mic-Mutes that will cut the mic when not in use. It cost $119. Works very well with the J&M system. I use custom molded earplugs with my system and it allows you to turn all the volume levels down. The sound quality is very good. And you can adjust all of the volumes on the fly.

I just got the Sena SMH10. Works great! My brother called me on his the other day and i never even heard him start his bike, then he took off down the street and I could hear him perfectly, no wind noise or anything. It's an excellent product! Also if that's what you decide on, get it from Alex,(real time industries) he threw me a great deal!

+1 on J&M. There customer service has always been great too. I have found the best place to buy the J&M headphones and accessory cables is Gear Up Motorsports.(no affiliation) You need to call them for pricing but they have always been cheaper than what I can find online. If did not have the jmcb2003 givin to me I would have gone with the autocom.

Just mounted a G9 scala on a Neotec and so far it is great.

Pairs well with the Iphone 4s.... Siri is there, audio is good

Might be too early endorse 100%, but so far I am impressed

Cheers

I have an Autocom and am very pleased. I do have to cord to the helmet but I don't want to worry about having something to charge on long trips so that was actually one of my requirements. iPod for music, Zumo 550 for Navigation, iPhone bluetoothed to Zumo just in case the wife needs to get a hold of me, iCom radio for bike to bike with buddies.

Works very well. Everything tucked under the seat very neatly.

Since it is very important to purchase the right cables for what you are trying to connect I dealt with Keith at Tulsa Truck Center to be sure I had everything needed. In all I have installed four of these, three for friends, and all say they are pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from 2 days of using my Sena SMH10 clipped on a Shoei Qwest fullface. Had no expectations as this is my 1st comm system.

Read reviews, watched videos on Revzilla.com and this seemed a good system for the money that doesn't drown the operator in too many options and little buttons.

The side mounted jog-dial/volume control is freakin amazing. Spin to adjust volume and functions, push in to activate. Riding in heavy 5-lane traffic you don't want to think about fumbling for a stupid button or switch.

Paired to my iPhone 4 as phone and iPod it worked wonderfully. I needed to add the included speaker pads behind the speakers to bring them closer to my ears, otherwise volume was pretty low.

As others have said, phone quality is excellent and no one believed I was on a bike and conversing. I'll be careful how I say this, but at 75 and (ahem) above ;) I could have a fine conversation and maintain all my focus on the road. With the iPhone's voice dial feature I can dial anyone in my contacts list at will.

Music quality was average, there's really no bass to speak of but it was fine with me and I enjoyed having tunes on the ride. There are better speakers I'm sure, but it's does the job.

(Note: singing along inside your helmet sounds awful, I'm gonna say it's the acoustics in there... not my voice)

Have yet to pair it with another rider but I expect that will go well since vocal communications are quite clear, just not music.

Don't have Bluetooth GPS so no experience with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from 2 days of using my Sena SMH10 clipped on a Shoei Qwest fullface. Had no expectations as this is my 1st comm system.

Read reviews, watched videos on Revzilla.com and this seemed a good system for the money that doesn't drown the operator in too many options and little buttons.

The side mounted jog-dial/volume control is freakin amazing. Spin to adjust volume and functions, push in to activate. Riding in heavy 5-lane traffic you don't want to think about fumbling for a stupid button or switch.

Paired to my iPhone 4 as phone and iPod it worked wonderfully. I needed to add the included speaker pads behind the speakers to bring them closer to my ears, otherwise volume was pretty low.

As others have said, phone quality is excellent and no one believed I was on a bike and conversing. I'll be careful how I say this, but at 75 and (ahem) above ;) I could have a fine conversation and maintain all my focus on the road. With the iPhone's voice dial feature I can dial anyone in my contacts list at will.

Music quality was average, there's really no bass to speak of but it was fine with me and I enjoyed having tunes on the ride. There are better speakers I'm sure, but it's does the job.

(Note: singing along inside your helmet sounds awful, I'm gonna say it's the acoustics in there... not my voice)

Have yet to pair it with another rider but I expect that will go well since vocal communications are quite clear, just not music.

Don't have Bluetooth GPS so no experience with that.
To me, this post illustrates the problem with using communicators whose communications are limited. If your communications needs are limited to a few riding buddies who all agree to purchase the same system and turn to the same channel, then these systems work. However, if you need information on traffic conditions, LEO activity, directions to motels, restaurants, or attractions, then you may need to talk to someone outside your inner circle. If you are riding with a different group (think SFO or SW-FOG, etc.) then it is unlikely you will find anyone in that group that you can communicate with. That is the value of a CB unit. Believe it or not, I often find truckers to be helpful with just such information requests. My J&M CB has GPS connection, the GPS has MP3 and satellite radio, bluetooth connectivity for the phone, and if I turn to channel 19, connectivity to almost every truck on the road. For some reason, I do not find the use of the CB to be as distracting as the use of a cell phone. So, I turn off the phone and store it in my seat bag until I am parked and can concentrate on the phone call.

<J&M is expensive, but extremely reliable and the most universally accepted>

My dual J&M CB is on my 3rd bike and works workeded flawlessly since (2004) & over 150k miles ago...so passenger and I have VOX communication as well

my current setup is wired and I like the fidelity and simplicity and no need for worried about charged batterys of components

J&M with medium priced headsets and single (stock) wired 3mm input to headset

Amplirider 3rd party unit which switches 3 audio inputs to 1 amplified output with volume control which then connects to J&M

Zumo 550, Adaptiv Radar Detector, and mp3 mix into amplirider with no priorty - each separate unit's volume is higher or lower to hear one over another at the same time

works well for me...I'm looking to go with Westone air protection as others have recommended to round out my sound system

I'm currently running a Starcom Digital system with Zumo hardwired, iPhone Bluetoothed, iPod hardwired and a waterproof GME CB radio with push to talk on the handlebars for bike to bike or bike to truck communication.

But I'm in Australia......we use UHF for CBs

A question for USA Starcom users: what brands/models of CB radios have you found to be effective with this system? As a prompt, I've heard of Cobra.

I'm currently running a Starcom Digital system with Zumo hardwired, iPhone Bluetoothed, iPod hardwired and a waterproof GME CB radio with push to talk on the handlebars for bike to bike or bike to truck communication.

But I'm in Australia......we use UHF for CBs

A question for USA Starcom users: what brands/models of CB radios have you found to be effective with this system? As a prompt, I've heard of Cobra.

Kenwood and Midland are what we typically see around here for the few that have them.