Bike Dolly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
I need to replace the ignition switch on the bike and I thought as long as I was at it I might as well repack the steering bearings and possibly change the fork oil.

What does that have to do with a bike dolly? Well, I was thinking that instead of hoisting the front of the bike, I could pull down on the rear of the bike. I've wanted to make one of these anyway <Link to feejer222's version> <Turn a Bike> <Harbor Freight version>

I was planning on making it out of 5/16" plate formed into a channel because feejer222 used 8mm. This morning I talked to a press brake operator and he probably won't be able to find a drop the right size (at least 7' long) which means he's going to have to sheer my piece off a full sheet. Plus, I'll also have to pay the 1 hour minimum rate (even though he could probably make four of these things in that hour - $65). He was too busy to make one for me today but could do this late next week.

Things have a way of working out. The delay has given me time to study the Harbor Freight version a little closer <Link> and I see that it is made out of much thinner gauge steel. If I can, I'd like to make mine out of thinner material. I need some help with the calculations though. The inside dimension of the channel will be about a minimum of 9", but I was thinking 10" wide. The channel will be about 7' long. As the material gets thinner, the sides of the channel can be shorter. Using 5/16" plate, the sides would have a minimum inside dimension of 1.125" high. I mention this because I would like to get the inside dimension as close to .750" as possible, to make it easier to get the bike up on the center stand.

The plate needs to be thick enough to resist two things:

1.)When I roll the bike up onto it (assuming its on casters) I don't want the channel to collapse in like a taco.

2.)If I put the bike on the center stand (on a non structural cross member) I don't want the channel to fold up in the middle like a broken bone.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Me liky the harbor freight!!!

For $119.00 in change seems to be a pretty good price. You could allways beef it up if need be. Just not in my want or need list at this time. GPS or Tire changer will be my next big purchase.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Me liky the harbor freight!!!
I just can't do it. I guess I 'm not smart enough to embrace global trade.

I'd rather give my money to a local guy. It will cost me more now, but it might be costing me a lot less in the long run ;)

My wife got me the HF version for Christmas. On sale it was $99.

I like it a lot. I guess it does help the global economy but local guys work at the HF store so it helped them, too.

If you want some measurements from my dolly let me know and I will take some for you.

What I like about it best is the flip down ramps on either end. After the bike is on and you flip them up the ramp rests on the wheels. When the ramps are down the wheels are slightly off the ground so it doesn't move until the ramps are up.

Let me know if I can help.

Lee

PM Fairlaner, he has one that is very small and compact and works great. I can't find the picture of it.

[SIZE=14pt]***EDIT***[/SIZE]

I found it from the Cyclegadgets website.

Park n Move.

Park-n-Move-1.jpg

If you want something over engineered, ask a machinist to design it. It this case, you might want to actually consult with an engineer. And not the type that wears the funny stripped hats either :p I'd go with the thick stuff since it will last forever and a day B)

Fred?

If you're just looking for something to use to get your front in the air, I came up with a VERY simple(ghetto, redneck,WTF) system that works perfectly for that. Get two 2x8s about 6 feet long, and some 5/16 eyelets with a hole big enough for strap hooks to go through. Drill a 5/16th inch hole in one end of each 2x8 towards the edge and bolt an eyelet through the hole. Lay the 2x8s on the ground where you intend to perform your work, side by side with the eyelets on the same end and facing up and to the outside edge. Now pull your bike up on the 2x8s from the eyelet end, and put it on it's centerstand,(centerstand is sitting on the 2x8). You can now use the eyelets to hook a strap to in order to pull the rear of the bike down and hold it there while you do your front end work. It's ghetto I know, but works perfect and is VERY stable. Also can be disassembled and re-used for that bench project you've been wnting to build...

If you're just looking for something to use to get your front in the air, I came up with a VERY simple(ghetto, redneck,WTF) system that works perfectly for that. Get two 2x8s about 6 feet long, and some 5/16 eyelets with a hole big enough for strap hooks to go through. Drill a 5/16th inch hole in one end of each 2x8 towards the edge and bolt an eyelet through the hole. Lay the 2x8s on the ground where you intend to perform your work, side by side with the eyelets on the same end and facing up and to the outside edge. Now pull your bike up on the 2x8s from the eyelet end, and put it on it's centerstand,(centerstand is sitting on the 2x8). You can now use the eyelets to hook a strap to in order to pull the rear of the bike down and hold it there while you do your front end work. It's ghetto I know, but works perfect and is VERY stable. Also can be disassembled and re-used for that bench project you've been wnting to build...
Sounds like a dam good idea. Leave it the feejer peeps to figure this stuff out. I think i have the basic idea but picks would help. ;)

PM Fairlaner, he has one that is very small and compact and works great. I can't find the picture of it.

Park n Move.

Park-n-Move-1.jpg
___________________________________________________________________________________

I have the "Park and Move" also and am happy with it. What is under the Harley (between and bike and the Park and Move) supporting it?

Park n Move.

Park-n-Move-1.jpg
___________________________________________________________________________________

I have the "Park and Move" also and am happy with it. What is under the Harley (between and bike and the Park and Move) supporting it?
They call that dar thingie a "Center Stand" :p