Bike Drop/Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
Just bought rear bag protectors from MC enterprises. I have frame sliders but have no idea how effective they are on a low or zero speed drop. Would like to know about riders that have dropped their bike with sliders and what was/was not protected. Thanks, Bill

With sliders and a zero spped drop, you will rash the mirror and the bottom half of the saddlebag. Might rub the stator cover.

Hey Bill.

Not much mystery with sliders mounted to the engine points except the differing variables. Like; some sliders stick out more and keep more bike away from the ground when things sucome to gravity; expect a mirror to hit (and maybe fold at the hinge getting no more than a scratch); side cases will take a tap; handlebar end will go bump; foot peg will scuff before folding; brake pedal or shifter takes a bend; slope or irregular road surface will add more wobble to the weeble; forward or twisting motion as all this goes on...things like that. I think most body plastic stays clear.

Rear bag protectors...I don't know...but they will most likely pitch the bike's axis causeing different contact points.

Is this what youre asking?

Definitely worth the price of the sliders.. I can attest. Low speed (1 MPH) drop, some scratching. but not as bad as without the sliders.

I probably did more damage trying to life my fully loaded behemoth and failing on the first attempt, and needing to place her back down.

I didn't have any issue with bar ends, clutch lever or shifter. Footpeg must have folded easily - no significant rub on it. I agree that it will depend on the geometry of the slider, how level the surface might be and how far the bike goes over. I was able to set mine down fairly gently. I was lucky that the mirror decided to fold rather than break or bend the mount.

Hey Bill.Not much mystery with sliders mounted to the engine points except the differing variables. Like; some sliders stick out more and keep more bike away from the ground when things sucome to gravity; expect a mirror to hit (and maybe fold at the hinge getting no more than a scratch); side cases will take a tap; handlebar end will go bump; foot peg will scuff before folding; brake pedal or shifter takes a bend; slope or irregular road surface will add more wobble to the weeble; forward or twisting motion as all this goes on...things like that. I think most body plastic stays clear.

Rear bag protectors...I don't know...but they will most likely pitch the bike's axis causeing different contact points.

Is this what youre asking?
That's helpful. I have sliders that were installed by the previous owner. I've not dropped the bike so don't know how effective they are..Thus my question. However I have purchased the rear bag protectors from MC Enterprises so I think the bags will be well protected. If the sliders provide reasonable protection I might just keep them and not buy the canyon cage. That begs another question. Will the rear bag protectors work well with the slider as the bike might take a deeper plunge up front? Not a perfect world and not expecting a perfect solution, but I would like to get good protection without spending $300 for the canyon cage. But I'm not ruling that out. Thanks, Bill

Bill, I think you're good with what you have. You know it's your choice and your money but I think it's good like it is. Most have just the sliders and save that $300 for the touch up paint or a new mirror.

Go out and ride brother! (and just don't drop the bike!!!)
coolsmiley02.gif

Bill, I think you're good with what you have. You know it's your choice and your money but I think it's good like it is. Most have just the sliders and save that $300 for the touch up paint or a new mirror.
coolsmiley02.gif
Good answer making me think more positive about my decision. I don't normally agonize over such things but I can almost predict a drop is in my future, the bike is tall for my old legs. Just want to have some assurance that 3000 miles from home that a stupid drop won't ruin my trip and return home. Insurance will cover repair. Thanks, Bill

coolsmiley02.gif
Good answer making me think more positive about my decision. I don't normally agonize over such things but I can almost predict a drop is in my future, the bike is tall for my old legs. Just want to have some assurance that 3000 miles from home that a stupid drop won't ruin my trip and return home. Insurance will cover repair. Thanks, Bill
In my haste, my kickstand folded on me getting off the bike a couple of weeks ago... Within the excitement of attempting to keep the bike from going over, I tore my right achilles tendon. I saved the bike, but now must endure many weeks of recovery...and no more riding for a while. I'm now considering purchasing more drop protection. Just food for thought...
sleep.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In my haste, my kickstand folded on me getting off the bike a couple of weeks ago... Within the excitement of attempting to keep the bike from going over, I tore my right achilles tendon. I saved the bike, but now must endure many weeks of recovery...and no more riding for a while. I'm now considering purchasing more drop protection. Just food for thought...
sleep.png
I have cages installed, but I would probably try not to let it fall anyway.

Hope you recover soon!

sleep.png
I have cages installed, but I would probably try not to let it fall anyway.

Hope you recover soon!
Thanks for the encouragement on healing... Even though it's a split-second event, had protection been installed, I would have let the bike go before I heard the pop in my leg... FJRs get very heavy when they reach the horizontal position.

sleep.png
One of the first things I learned was, "let it fall" if you don't catch it early enough. I have heard of broken legs and other problem, now torn achilles tendon. LET IT FALL. At WFO8, at the bike wash, I put the kickstand down on a slight down hill, and as I climbed off, it just went forward and down on the pavement. (in front of everyone) More scuffs, just like all those other bikes have. Nobody notices. Just keep it clean and shiny and all those scuffs will be ignored, especially if you touch them up with matching paint. Trust me.

After having several bikes fall over next to me parked on downslopes I advise everbody to always park in gear...EVERY TIME so its a habit pattern. I've had BMW LT's fall over next to me 3 times on slight down slopes. One ripped off my side bag. Watched a Vstrom do the same thing. So I've seen 4 drops on down slopes. Sorry for the thread drift. Always park in first gear it will save a drop for you one day.

Bill

sleep.png
One of the first things I learned was, "let it fall" if you don't catch it early enough. I have heard of broken legs and other problem, now torn achilles tendon. LET IT FALL. At WFO8, at the bike wash, I put the kickstand down on a slight down hill, and as I climbed off, it just went forward and down on the pavement. (in front of everyone) More scuffs, just like all those other bikes have. Nobody notices. Just keep it clean and shiny and all those scuffs will be ignored, especially if you touch them up with matching paint. Trust me.
Yes, I've learned a painful lesson... However, it was a more of a reactionary thing. I have 'reset' my mind to not react, but rather let it drop.

I've had good results with frame sliders only. Minor scuffs on saddle bag and mirror.

Probably would have been worse without the saddlebags on.

A friend dropped his '13 with the cages and sustained more damage than I did when I dropped mine with only sliders.

The secret is what type of surface you drop it on.

Plan ahead and only drop it on soft flat grassy areas.
tonguesmiley.gif

Just installed MC Enterprises side bag protectors. Excellent harware and fit. Easy to install. I like how they only protrude just a few inches from the bags. Nice looking too and doesn't detract from the beautiful design of the bike.

Bill

Sorry I am late to this thread, I actually have your answer!

A few years ago Pop lost traction on a steep uphill driveway in very deep loose gravel and fell over. He was barely moving when it happened, he had lost all of his forward momentum. The thing started sliding back downhill with him pinned under it. This scratched the saddlebag, the mirror and the side of the fairing. His leg actually protected the fairing.

As a result I researched this forum FULLY and read, read, and re-read all the posts I could find concerning frame sliders. I installed OES Extended frame sliders and the MC Enterprises rear crash bars. I then asked Pop to drop the bike so we could test my work. He has adamantly refused to assist me in furthering my research.

Until... In very loose gravel on an incline the kickstand folded up on him at the Colorado border last month. The OES extended slider and the MC Enterprises rear crash bar completely protect the fairing and the saddlebag. COMPLETELY! But... The mirror will get scratched anyway.

Two drawbacks to the MC Enterprises rear crash bars: 1)The passenger pegs must remain folded out permanently. They cannot fold up once the bars are installed. 2)There is no room for the passengers feet.

If you care to search there is a thread here where I answered EarthRooster's question with a picture of my Size 10 Justin workboot on the passenger peg. That pic will fully display the dilemma a passenger will face. I think EarthRooster solved that by installing a passenger peg lowering kit.

Here is a pic of my foot! Lovely isn't it? I cannot slide it back any further because my Achilles tendon is hitting the crash bar. Note how far the toe intrudes on the driver's leg position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I installed my MC enterprise protectors, I found the rear pegs won't retract. Also I was concerned about how close they were to the rear of my foot. However test ride revealed that my small size 8 foot even with boot on did not have any problem and I can't feel the protectors. I never ride two up, but those that do and or riders with large feet should be aware of this issue before they make the purchase. In my case they are perfect. One other issue. The instructions didn't caution about the ball bearing in the rear pegs which locks them in the up or down position. So when I pulled off the first peg the ball dropped off and I couldn't find it. Then I discovered the peg couldn't go up anyway with the protectors. However the peg was now loose and might cause vibration. I solved that with a tie wrap. MC Enterprises in my opinion should put this in the instructions and also advise that that the pegs cannot retract. Also potential buyers should be aware that pillion and rider's feet might be cramped for space. For me I'm happy as a clam at high tide.

Bill