Bike Drop/Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I am late to this thread, I actually have your answer!
A few years ago Pop lost traction on a steep uphill driveway in very deep loose gravel and fell over. He was barely moving when it happened, he had lost all of his forward momentum. The thing started sliding back downhill with him pinned under it. This scratched the saddlebag, the mirror and the side of the fairing. His leg actually protected the fairing.

As a result I researched this forum FULLY and read, read, and re-read all the posts I could find concerning frame sliders. I installed OES Extended frame sliders and the MC Enterprises rear crash bars. I then asked Pop to drop the bike so we could test my work. He has adamantly refused to assist me in furthering my research.

Until... In very loose gravel on an incline the kickstand folded up on him at the Colorado border last month. The OES extended slider and the MC Enterprises rear crash bar completely protect the fairing and the saddlebag. COMPLETELY! But... The mirror will get scratched anyway.

Redfish, based on a couple of your posts on the subject of the OES extended length sliders, I'm considering purchasing them and wondering if you could please post any pics of the sliders as mounted. I can't find any pics anywhere of these as mounted.

Thanks.

I went with the canyon cages and the rear bag protectors. Although sliders had saved me major damage on a no speed gentle drop, I wanted perhaps a bit of protection if I were in motion. I think the cages are a well thought system and they work best together.

Based on a lot of posts on this forum I bought the extended OES sliders. I think they look great and I hope I never have to find out how they work. I'll try to post some pics this weekend when I get home.

Interesting comments. I too learned the hard way to never park the bike in neutral. If I have to park on a grade, I position the bike where the nose it pointed up hill. Thanks for the comments on the MC Ent. bag protectors. I do not ride two up and I will remove the rear passenger pegs.

Okay, I dug through photobucket to see if I had any decent pics, here is the best I can do for now.

Since I hate seeing a pic and not knowing the location, 1) Hwy 163 SE Utah 2)Kanab Utah 3) Leeville, Louisiana

I hope these pics help out a little.

Everything has a bit of inadequacy in their own way.... Three years ago, I went with rear sliders from Belgium, which are really extended sliders on a long stem mounted to a stainless steel plate behind the rear peg mount and joins to the muffler mount. Then I put on the Racing 905 bars, and made a slider to go inside the upper tube..... dropped the bike more than a couple of times in loose gravel, never had any damage. That is only because the 905 bars with the slider in the upper tube stuck out 3" to keep the bike from going over onto the mirror. The bad news for 905 bars is they touch down on the lower tube if you're aggressive, load up the suspension going into a tight hairpin.

I have the Canyon Cages now on the front, and have done a drop in a parking lot, zero speed. The drawback here is the cages should be higher up and/or extended outwards some. Ya, wouldn't look as integrated, but it should be more about function than beauty........ the bike will pivot on the upper bar of the cage, then tip over further onto the mirror (bar ends too if the bars are in the right place at time of drop). So, I'm devising in my head a delrin block (maybe shaped similar to the Twisted Throttle sliders for the '13) that will mount/clamp on to the cages to extend them out, yet look good. IMHO, the cages were designed for the bike to sit on them, not tip over with any kind of momentum or a top box, or panniers full. They work if you set the bike down on them, just don't push it over....... mind you, way better than having no bars or sliders...... extended sliders a good idea.....

Redfish Hunter- Thanks very much for the photos. The OES extended sliders look good and probably afford a bit more protection as you've pointed out in previous posts. Also, appreciate your comments RaYzerman19.

RaYzerman19, I'm very interested in your plan to mount sliders/blocks to the cages to (hopefully) minimize the chances of the bike capsizing. That's been my fear from the get go with the cages pivot point.

RaYzerman19, I'm very interested in your plan to mount sliders/blocks to the cages to (hopefully) minimize the chances of the bike capsizing. That's been my fear from the get go with the cages pivot point.
It's going to take a bit of thought...... the trick to get it high enough and out enough.... any weight concentrated on that small of an area will try to move whatever it is I end up with, so will have to be solid. Gonna be a compromise there somewhere.

One concept, a tube-mounted delrin slider something like this only better... https://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/suzuki/dl650-v-strom-12-13/engine-guards-detail

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased and installed the MC bag guards and the engine gaurds. I wanted the cage but $$$ were a little funny after Chistmas. Haven't dropped it yet but did in the past had to get a bag repainted. Feel a little better now.