Bike for GF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife rides an 06 VFR-800 Interceptor with the Honda saddlebags. She just went over 55,000 miles on it without any troubles at all. I added Heli bars and lowered the bike 3/4", which you can do in about 20 minutes by yourself. JamesK from this forum rides in our group and he can attest that she can easily ride 3-500 miles without an issue. She has used it on an IB ride around Florida and ridden with me the BRP a couple times. It is a solid bike that can do almost as much as the FJR, just a bit less power. She is 42, 5'4", and unknown weight.(by me) LOL. Definitely a bike to consider if you want to ride and do minimal wrenching.
Thank you Larry. Asa matter of fact we checked out an 07 VFR (anniversary edition) today. Nice bike, but it had been tipped over and has some bad scratches on the left lower cowl. The battery was dead, so we couldn't get it started. The GF feels it's still a little too sporty. I will keep you posted. Sam

If money isn't an issue, that new Multistrada would be at the top of my list.

If money IS an issue, a used SV650 with about $1000 of stuff from twistedthrottle.com would do nicely.

If I were in the market for another bike today ... I would probably go looking for a Multistrada instead of an FJR (if only because my wife is now pulling down a better salary than in years past).

Regarding the VFR .. it is a great bike - don't let the 100hp fool you into thinking it's real-world slower than the FJR. The fact that it weighs 150 lbs less makes up for that in spades. In fact ... my seat-o-pants-o-meter says the VFR is more responsive on the throttle than the FJR. I'd still be on it if my body could the ergo's.

Thank you, Geezer.

FWIW (and I'm sounding like a broken record....) I'm 5'4.5" (4.75" if I stand really straight) and 125 lbs (less now, unfortunately) and if I'm really careful about where and how I stop, I have no problem with the FJR. Even with a full tank of gas, sidecases and topcase full.

I LOVE it and put 24000 kms on it May-December 5th, 2009.

Thank you, Geezer.

FWIW (and I'm sounding like a broken record....) I'm 5'4.5" (4.75" if I stand really straight) and 125 lbs (less now, unfortunately) and if I'm really careful about where and how I stop, I have no problem with the FJR. Even with a full tank of gas, sidecases and topcase full.

I LOVE it and put 24000 kms on it May-December 5th, 2009.
You are welcome. My reasoning is that if the FJR is the right bike for the riding the OP does, and he wants his GF to enjoy riding with him, the same distances and whatever, then it should also be the right bike for her. She sounds like an experienced rider who should have no problem handling the FJR.

OK, here it is:
2006 VFR, purchased 5/2007. 2377 miles. Immaculate, not a scratch. Previous owner couldn't find the OEM screen or the owner's manual. The GF loves it and can't wait to ride it. Best part : $5,500.00 :) . Thank you all for the valuable opinions.

https://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/g...pg&newest=1
Nice bike. You will love changing tires on the rear. Four bolts and it is done !! My wife has the exact same bike and color. The only hard thing is changing the oil filter. That also becomes easy after a couple times. My wife just went over 56,000 miles on hers last weekend. Truly a sweet ride. If you want to lower it 3/4" in a few minutes for free, PM me and I will tell you how.

OK, here it is:
2006 VFR, purchased 5/2007. 2377 miles. Immaculate, not a scratch. Previous owner couldn't find the OEM screen or the owner's manual. The GF loves it and can't wait to ride it. Best part : $5,500.00 :) . Thank you all for the valuable opinions.

https://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/g...pg&newest=1
Nice bike. You will love changing tires on the rear. Four bolts and it is done !! My wife has the exact same bike and color. The only hard thing is changing the oil filter. That also becomes easy after a couple times. My wife just went over 56,000 miles on hers last weekend. Truly a sweet ride. If you want to lower it 3/4" in a few minutes for free, PM me and I will tell you how.

Thank you Larry,

We'll go for a ride this weekend and see how she likes it. She sat on it and reaching the ground was quite easy. Not quite flat footed, but seems to control it well and the reach to bars is far better than the 636. I will probably need you advice later on. Tahnks again. Sam

This is Susan-Larry's wife. Congrats on your VFR purchase. I looked long & hard also, when I chose my new 2006 VFR to replace my 2000 Ducati Monster 900, and, as he said, it is now over 3 years old, with 55K+ on it, and I love it! It does "keep up" ;) with the FJR, and has a similar gas tank range as the FJ also. It is a comfortable tourer, and a blast to ride when you get over 6700rpm! :yahoo: As Larry noted, we have done some minor mods, if you need any advice, he is the guy to call. Wonderful choice, I think she will be very happy!

"The mountains are calling, and I must go.."

This is Susan-Larry's wife. Congrats on your VFR purchase. I looked long & hard also, when I chose my new 2006 VFR to replace my 2000 Ducati Monster 900, and, as he said, it is now over 3 years old, with 55K+ on it, and I love it! It does "keep up" ;) with the FJR, and has a similar gas tank range as the FJ also. It is a comfortable tourer, and a blast to ride when you get over 6700rpm! :yahoo: As Larry noted, we have done some minor mods, if you need any advice, he is the guy to call. Wonderful choice, I think she will be very happy!
Congratulations on the new bike, Susan. Wishing you many happy miles. Don't forget that you CAN trade bikes now and again. Just because HIS name is on the FJR title doesn't mean he's the only one that gets to ride it.

Thank you Suan. I will ask Trudy to give a ride report as soon as she gets a chance. Sam

VFR800 ride report:

This is what my GF says:

The bike is really comfy (coming from Ninja 636 this seems a no brainer).

It handles well, but not as quick turning as the 636 .

More than enough power.

I like the V four power delivery. Very smooth.

Not as heavy as I thought.

I think I could do a few hundred miles in one day on this bike.

Here is what I think:

The FJR is a heavy beast. More comfortable, but heavy. The VFR is LIGHT compared to the FJR. Power/weight ratio is close. I think the VFR is an excellent compromise, lighter, has enough power and comfy enough for all day touring. Not a bad looking bike either.

By the way; we have Interphone F4 blue tooth intercom devices installed in our helmets. Really good. Far better than the wimpy cardo scala. Crystal clear sound at 80 MPH. I was on my RC51 Z(not much wind protection), she was on the VFR. I highly recommend it. You may want to read this https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int.../interphone-f4/

Somehow I missed your post about the purchase.

:yahoo: Congratulations! :yahoo:

One wouldn't expect the VFR to turn in as quickly as the 636 but it will certainly hold it's own once she gets used to it's weight in comparison.

Bike-to-bike communication is a great thing!

Enjoy yourselves and the possibilities with the extended range.

By the way; we have Interphone F4 blue tooth intercom devices installed in our helmets. Really good. Far better than the wimpy cardo scala. Crystal clear sound at 80 MPH. I was on my RC51 (not much wind protection), she was on the VFR. I highly recommend it. You may want to read this https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int.../interphone-f4/

On second thought, may the intercom is not such a great idea. Too much talking going on. Had to turn it off a couple of times ;) .

I'll take credit for the intial VFR recommendation :D

Looks nice in white. Not a common colour round these parts. It's kinda like a 3/4 FJR. Maybe the best all rounder in it's class. They sound great with a pipe too if you are so inclinded.

I'll take credit for the intial VFR recommendation :D Looks nice in white. Not a common colour round these parts. It's kinda like a 3/4 FJR. Maybe the best all rounder in it's class. They sound great with a pipe too if you are so inclinded.
You are absolutely right, we started looking at the VFR after reading your post. The GF loves it. Thank you very much. Definitely planning to install slip-ons. Not too many options out there: Leo Vince, remus and TB. We'll see. Sam

Late on the scene, and congrats on the purchase. May you both have many happy miles together.

My wife just got her new FZ6 early January, and we just completed a 2,900 mile ride in 8 days - I carry all our gear on the FJR (she has the left bag and 1 pair of shoes in the topbox. Topbox also takes wet weather gear, and jacket liners) You can read about it here: https://forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&...38&start=70

For info, she is only slightly younger than me (I was born in '52) and stands 5ft 6. She is really comfortable on the FZ6, even doing 400-mile days (stock saddle, no Airhawk even). She has ridden my FZ1 too, but finds that just a touch tall and heavier, but I am sure that in 6 to 12 months time we'll have matching FZ1's.