Bike is planted as hell now

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUT LEMME REPEAT. If you are afraid to play with your suspension, don't be.
You know you're going to grow hair on your forks!

So you are planning to go back to two(2) lines of front preload?

I sorta lost count along the way.

:)
I am at 2 lines. I am going to try 2.5 lines. 2 Seems a bit harsher than it needs to be

I also carry a razor in the tank bag to shave the forks so the hair dont gum up the works :evilgrin:

Please dont take me wrong You said "...and ad two clicks to the rear Compression dampening." I thought the rear shock only had Rebound dampening.Time for me to get flamed.
No, You are right. I mistyped. I have a stock setup. Why on earth would I flame you for being right? I may do it for fun.... but not for being right :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you use your bike and what do you like better about the wing? I like the Wings and I was just curous...
I use them both for similar reasons. I like to take a couple of big trips a year. I will be doing about 10k on the Wing in about two weeks. A USA4Corners ride on the Wing.

First off, I bought the Wing on a whim. I went to the International Motorcycle Show and sat on one. Even though I've owned and ridden motorcycles since 1965, never even touched a Wing. Although the quarters were a bit cramped, I was pretty impressed by the layout and all the doodads. So the seed was planted and started to grow in my head. After about 6 months I started shopping around and purchased the ABS model near my home (5 miles) for internet price, thus saving me a long ride home from the dealer. Prior to signing on the dotted line and sticking the key in, I had never been on one, save my short experience at the motorcycle show. On the way home I was thinking "What have I done?"

But then I had the same experience with the FJR. I had been riding a Yamaha Royal Star for 4 years when the FJR caught my eye. Although 'unobtainium', I read all the reviews about the new ST wonder in Europe and when Yamaha made the big announcement about selling them in the U.S. I ponied up the 500 bucks and waited. I got USA FJR number 376 and have gotten many miles of smiles.

What do I like better about the Wing? They are similar and different in so many ways.

Both have very good suspension.

Both need suspension upgrades.

Both have great lighting. No extra needed, unless you are an LDR (long distance - round the clock - rider) I tend to pack

it in before dark, because I camp a lot and don't like spotlighting forest rats.

Both handle dragging trailers quite well. I give a big nod to the Wing, especially with the giant torque in that huge engine. Although the FJR pulled my trailers well, it was more suited to cargo vs. camper trailers. Since I'm on the subject of trailers, I don't just mosey down the bullivard with a trailer. I've made passes over some major twisties, such as Beartooth Pass, the road to Chama NM, roads in and around Ruidoso, Lolo Pass (actually just a nice, smooth sweeper highway), Deal's Gap and associated roads in that area. Although I'm not a kneedraggin pegscraper, I can stay with or ahead of most. Hitches for the FJR were rare. I had the choice of making my own or purchasing from a company in Australia. I chose the later. Hitches for the Wing are everywhere. I chose the Bushtek, because it's very high quality and the electrics are plug and play, just like other farkles for the Wing.

Tires for the Wing last 2-3 times longer.

Integration: radio, mp3, WX, CB (extra and very costly), extra driving lamps, most everything is plug and play.

Both bikes have a fairly long range before fillup.

Both bikes get 40+ mpg (except when draggin trailers).

Both bikes have pretty good ergoes, although it's a toss up for me which is preferable.

The rider can stand on the pegs while underway on both bikes, which aids in the above.

Both bikes are quite hot, but there are ways to improve conditions in each instance. For the Wing, it's Baker Air Wings.

Both run on regular.

How do I use my bike(s)?

I like to run fast and hard, with or without a trailer. I read somewhere 0-60 comparisons and was surprised to see these:

03 FJR 2.88 seconds

GL1800 3.88 seconds

FJR AE 4.88 seconds

IIRC, I saw these numbers courtesy of MCN.

I am an original old timer FJR owner who is quite happy with my 'old' FJR. Hey, there's people out there who are still holding on to their FJs and wouldn't part with them for anything. But I am a newbie to the world of Goldwings and am quite happy with the Wing also. I have discovered that there are many Wing owners who also have FJRs, so they must make a pretty good combination :)

Nice writeup

I take issue with your 0-60 times though. I dont doubt a A model FJR is faster than an AE. But having owned both an AE and a wing (gl1800) the GL is in no way faster to 60 than the FJR, Not even close.

I also do not beleive that the A model is almost 2x as fast as the AE.

The other stuff seems cool

Nice writeup
I take issue with your 0-60 times though. I dont doubt a A model FJR is faster than an AE. But having owned both an AE and a wing (gl1800) the GL is in no way faster to 60 than the FJR, Not even close.

I also do not beleive that the A model is almost 2x as fast as the AE.

The other stuff seems cool
Just quoting what (I think) I read. I'll have to look through my old copies and make sure I wasn't halucinating. For some reason the liquid silver 03 has been proven to be a wee bit quicker than subsequent models, 06/07 not withstanding.

p.s. I really didn't have an idea what I was getting into, other than reading about the bikes (either one) Since you were part of the Wing community, you probably have heard stories about Yellow Wolf and Killboy. Rick would make movies of riders doing Deal's Gap. He said that only a couple of riders got away from him. He had two forward facing cameras and one on the rear of his yellow GL1800. I met him at the resort between takes and his bike was a real wonder. He was missing close to two inches of foot peg and he had steel plates mounted under the pegs. A few months later Rick did an SS1k between the store and the lake. I believe he had about 15 minutes to spare. This was an observed ride. IIRC he received congrats from Mr. Kneebone, but nothing official, since he had to break the speed limit rule to be successful. After he completed his SS1k he rode home. He lived one hour down the road. Doesn't work the Dragon anymore, sorry to say. I don't think his biz was lucrative enough. One tough cookie IMHO...

I also saw an mpeg on the net of some fool doing a straight up, 90 degree wheelie. Appeared as though he had to bump just a bit to get the front up. Landing must have been pretty rough on the front end though.

++++EDIT++++

Checked copies of MCN. Volume 37 Number 8 August 2006 page 17 0-60 MPH ..... 4.05 sec 06 FJR 1300AE

So I was off by a bit, but if ya can't trust MCN, who can ya?

Don't really have to research the 03 time. I have read that so many times it's branded up there in my head - 2.88 seconds. I have also seen very low 3s. Or maybe that was the slower, gay blue 04s.

Any one of the above numbers are quick as lightning!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts