Bike-to-Bike Communications...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a license for my CB. Used to be required by law. I was never asked to show it to anyone. I guess it just gives them something to 'take away' from you if you do something really stupid. And, of course, there was a fee, so it is a source of tax revenues.

I haven't used the CB in many years and never had it connected to a bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaps,
Have a Starcom Advance. Want to buy, install and use a CB. Questions.

1. Please recomend a decent CB (robust, not too big, whip aerial OK, water and dust proof) and mounting (alright not a question as such). I will have to buy via over internet.

2. How do the controls work (PTT ?) and where are they mounted ?

3. Does the Starcom Advance PTT input work with CBs ?

Cheers,

Paul.
My Starcom price list shows that Starcom has a cable to connect the Starcom Advance to "some CB radios". It does not say which ones.

The newer Push-to-talk switch from Starcom attaches to the left grip and goes to the unit.

Chaps,
Have a Starcom Advance. Want to buy, install and use a CB. Questions.

1. Please recomend a decent CB (robust, not too big, whip aerial OK, water and dust proof) and mounting (alright not a question as such). I will have to buy via over internet.

2. How do the controls work (PTT ?) and where are they mounted ?

3. Does the Starcom Advance PTT input work with CBs ?

Cheers,

Paul.
Answer #1.....Midland 75-822 portable CB.

Answer # 2.....you would use the PTT that comes with your intercom. It has to match the pin setup for the CB you choose.

Answer #3.....I dunno, I have an Autocom. ;)

But the most inportant thing about using a CB on a motorcycle..

in order to get ANY decent range (beyond 1/4 mile) you have to have a long antenna. I'm currently using the "rubber duckie" antenna that came with the Midland and it sucks. Run a 36" off the rear rack and you'll transmit/receive just fine.

I would recommend FRS/GMRS radios for bike-to-bike. I would suggest just running on FRS frequencies where everyone is legal. From a handheld radio, you won't get much more than an extra mile of range from the extra power of typical GMRS handhelds. I have gotten more range and much more pleasing results out of FRS/GMRS than from CB. There is simply too much noise on CB and the antennas that you would want to mount on a motorcycle are not efficient. I would suggest spending time performing a reliable install that will allow solid communications out to a mile or two with radios and using a cell phone for the few times when you get farther separated from the other rider.

I have had CB base stations, mobiles, and the optional CB unit for my GL1800 Gold Wing. I could only turn the modulation up to about 60% on the Gold Wing CB which further limited it's effective range to a little over a mile between two same equipped Wings.

You can expect a consistent 2 miles from FRS/GMRS. Don't expect anywhere near the advertised claims. You would only get the 10 miles or greater range on a good day if two bikes were parked on the peaks of two mountains and had line of sight between them.

The antenna on an FRS radio is relatively efficient especially compared to a rubber duck on a handheld CB but also compared to a loaded CB mobile whip mounted on the bike with it's minimum ground plane.

My riding buddies think of me as the "radio guy" when it comes time to rig up our bikes for a trip. I have an Advanced Class Amateur Radio License, but have not been active for a couple of years. I also have an 180 feet tower with my own business repeater. I have installed Chatterbox, J&M, and a few others I can't think of the name of. I prefer Autocom products over all others that I have experience with. The thing I want is a complete Bluetooth wireless system to do away with the "rat's nest" of wires.

Mount your helmet speakers as close to your ears as possible or comfortable. Mount your microphone as close to the front of your mouth as possible or comfortable. If you have a cell phone and bike-to-bike radio both hooked to an intercom system, mount them on opposite sides of the handlebars. You sometimes have injected noise that is solved by running off the internal batteries of the radio instead of being powered from the bike.

Enforcing the FCC requirement for a license to operate GMRS became overwhelming when GMRS radios became widely available in shrink-wrap packages to the general public.

A Radio Operators Permit was required when I received my pilot's license in 1978. The FAA has since cancelled that requirement for domestic flights. To my surprise though, a Radio Operators Permit was listed as a requirement a few years ago when I flew our Archer to the Bahamas and then again last year when I flew our Maule to the Cayman Islands, panel shown below on our way home.

mih2mc.jpg

Here's a question for the communication gurus here. DH and I have GMRS Chatterbox bike-to-bike radios. They're not great, but adequate for what we need. I plug an MP3 player into mine and enjoy the music while riding.

We've just got XM radio but not having any luck getting it to play through the Chatterboxes.

Any suggestions?

Jill

Use of CB is dependent upon your needs..Talking to buddies or other bikers = don't need cb.

Truckers use CB. realy nasty vulgar jokes and language is what cb is about!
NOTE...NOTE...

FOR TIGHTLY WOUND, don't read further so as to avoid the trauma of severe emotional injury.

Hmm, vulgar, nasty.....Gee doesn't that describe this joint here and there, for ex. just read the well written rules* about the "anything goes" section ??? :blink:

*Example, rule 3 and rule 4 of the forum guidelines are very impressively written. ;)

Last edited: