Bike won t start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pratt&whitney

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I use the bike to go at plumber shop and when i try to start again nothing like a dead battry.

So i put the charger on it and try it but nothing.

I boost it and the bike start perfect but when i remonve de booster cable it shut down right away.

Any help is welcome

thanks

'Assuming' you are connecting the booster directly to the battery, the first thing I would look at is the battery connections.

If they are clean and tight then I would begin to suspect the battery itself.

You will need a volt meter to check this out.

Yes. it sounds like a loose battery connection.

How did you hook up the jumper cables?

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I try it directly on the battery and directly on the wire from the bike: same result the bike start fine and stop when i remove the booster cable the engine die.

I put the negative on the body of my bike.

you help is appreciate.

If you can get one, put a voltmeter on the bike's battery and check voltage when no real load on it. If it's below 12 volts it's probably dead. I've had a battery die while I was riding along. They don't necessarily give you warning signs.

Bad battery

Bad battery

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks again

But i cant start the bike, my battery was at 12,8v and the bike refuse to start.

If i start the bike with another battery it should stay on when i remove the cable no?

thanks againBut i cant start the bike, my battery was at 12,8v and the bike refuse to start.

If i start the bike with another battery it should stay on when i remove the cable no?
No.

The regulator will cut the current when the voltage rises above the regulation voltage, so the bike's electricals will get a chopped-up 14 volts. Not good for a computer generated ignition system.

And, double-check the connections of the negative cable from the battery to the frame since you say your negative booster lead was connected to the frame of the bike.

^^^^This^^^^

If the battery's ground connection is bad, then the battery is out of the circuit completely, and once you remove the jumper battery. Bike will die.

Remove the negative connection at the battery, and while it's off, remove, check condition of, clean if necessary, and reinstall the positive connection. Then inspect, clean if necessary, and reinstall the negative connection.