Bill Mayer or Russel Day-Long Saddle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both the Russell vinyl and the Bill Mayer leather to use on my 06 AE. I have mostly likes with few complaints about either one. I have done some long rides(over 1K) on both of them several times. At no time have I ended up with Monkey Butt after the rides. If I could only have one for looks, I would take the Mayer. If overall riding comfort was prime, I would take the Russell over the Mayer. Essentially, I am a function over form guy so thats why the Russell. Hope this is helpful, good luck.

I held group buys for both seats and decided to go with the Bill Mayer. You will get many opinions but in the end Russel was a comfortable couch and Bill Mayer was a comfortable sport seat. I liked everything I heard about the Russel and I liked the way it felt but the Bill Mayer was a better fit for how I am going to use the bile.

By waiting for their annual Group Buy, i saved some cash on the one for the FJR.
Anyone know when the "annual group buy" is?
I'm waiting on the group buy as well, and I believe it generally takes place in November or December timeframe. Have purchased every thing I need except for Russel seats and a 3.5" calsci shield.
yep. that's it. usually there's a notice posted as we get near the holiday season.

Russell (most likely) won't do a group buy during their busy season. That's why they offer them when they do. The demand slows (somewhat) when the weather cools. The rest of the year they work full-tilt to keep up with demand.

I do belive in the begining that the Russell was created by Bill senior and at some point he sold out to Russell with a noncompetition clause in the deal. After that expired Bill senior went back into building saddles but used all foam instead of the spring like the original. After he died his sons carried on in seperate locations. Both seats are good options so it amounts to which one puts a smile on your cheeks. My cheeks like the Russell. :D
Shame about the sibling split.

Rick used to have a section on his web site where he explained that he had experience building sprung seats, and then also explained why he didn't recommend them.

This seat stuff is very personal. No one else can tell you which seat you're going to like the best. Even if you get to try someone elses seat, it won't necessarily tell you that much... because theirs will have been broken in by them, and they're different from you.

Corbin makes good seats, but folks often complain about the company's level of responsiveness to customers who need a bit more help. (I've had good customer support from Corbin myself on a couple of their seats).

Sargent makes good seats, but folks often complain that their foam is hard to break in. (I've had no trouble breaking in a couple of Sargent seats).

I've ridden Bill Mayer saddles that were built for others, and it was obvious they weren't built for me, so I wouldn't be a good judge of them.

On this seat stuff, everyone needs to work the problem for themselves and then hope for the best. Some guys end up going through two or three custom seats before finding happiness. I don't know how it can be avoided.