Bill Mayer saddle questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I've been watching the various Bill Mayer saddle threads closely and have PM'd several of you with questions already.

My ride-in is next Thursday, I leave for Reno Friday, via every backroad I can find..

Questions I have are:

1. Is the saddle 'raised' in front center? The pix kind of show that is. If so, does this interfere with sport riding positions? e.g. being able to move around the seat from side to side when playing in the twisties?

2. For those of you with leather saddles; how do they behave in wet rainy conditions? Even after 2 or 3 days of rain?

4. I've not had a saddle with this kind of shape before; does it 'lock' you into one 'spot' thus preventing you from moving contact points?

Sorry for all the questions - cause I'm going to get one anyway, but if I get feedback,especially about question 1, I can provide better input for Rocky.

Thanks - dcarver

1. You're calling the shots. He can sculp it many ways.

2. Rain? California? Not to worry. Actucally, I got caught in a mighty day long deluge the last time I tried to run 49. Keep it treated and no worries. They make seat covers if it really worries you (others, not Bill).

4. See 1.

Why don't you and I hook up half way. Just a thought.

I've been watching the various Bill Mayer saddle threads closely and have PM'd several of you with questions already.
My ride-in is next Thursday, I leave for Reno Friday, via every backroad I can find..

Questions I have are:

1. Is the saddle 'raised' in front center? The pix kind of show that is. If so, does this interfere with sport riding positions? e.g. being able to move around the seat from side to side when playing in the twisties?

2. For those of you with leather saddles; how do they behave in wet rainy conditions? Even after 2 or 3 days of rain?

4. I've not had a saddle with this kind of shape before; does it 'lock' you into one 'spot' thus preventing you from moving contact points?

Sorry for all the questions - cause I'm going to get one anyway, but if I get feedback,especially about question 1, I can provide better input for Rocky.

Thanks - dcarver
1. This is up to you. You have the benefit of doing a ride-in so have them make it like you want it.

This is one area I had them shave down a little after a test run.

Just a little too much pressure the first time out. After a little shaving of the foam it felt like I was sitting in the seat, rather than up on top of it.

The second part. I'm not much of a sport rider, maybe when I get more miles under my belt.

2. I have leather but I have only had 10-15 minutes in the rain (Never rains in San Diego, except at night)

4. I don't think being locked into a position is an issue. Over the stock seat it was so flat and sloped towards the tank with little to no side support my ass just went numb. The new one provides the right angle for me and side support I really don't feel the need to move around.

Stock seat I was squirming all over at 75-100 miles trying to keep some blood flow going or as I thought of it. "Spread the pain around until I am done with this tank of gas"

Rocky is there to listen and knows his stuff.

My seat came out great, I'm sure yours will too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Questions I have are:

Thanks - dcarver
Dan I have just completed 500 miles on a Bill Mayer leather saddle that I had made on 11 July for my 06 AE Flicker. As has been said they can make just about any reasonable shape that you want. Adrian the lead maker is really skilled at checking your weight, size and preferred riding position. For my seat I told him I want to make the seat and my body feel a part of the bike, not to feel like I was just straddling the bike. He did his shaping to make that happen. Mine is pitched up in front and the tip is centered on the gas tank. I also had them contour the leading edge of the passenger pillion to the shape of my rear and hips. It gives great support on the g's we pull on hard acceleration on the bike. I have been in the mountain twisties and the seat does not empede any reasonable body movement in turns. I have had leather saddles on many bikes and rain is not an issue for me. They get cleaned and oiled and they wear and wear.I had the top of both saddles covered in a light gray to help with reduce heat absorbtion of the seat. I rode 300 miles today in 108* bright sunlight and the seat was very comfortable and amazingly the 06 AE did not generate as much engine heat as my 05.

Hope this helps. FYI, Kaitsdad, Blue Streek and I will be heading out of Truckee on 22 July Saturday at about 0700 heading north in CA, OR and WA, about 2k RT. You are welcome to join us if you want. Please advise if interested by PM. Thanks we will be back in Reno for WFO5 for first day activities. Check Parts and accessories link as I posted pics of my black and gray saddle.

Thanks guys! Didn't realize Rocky was so flexible on the seat design. Looking forward to getting this done.

PM to TD and TWN.

Another happy owner here :)

I have nothing more to add that is any more constructive -- it's all been said.

Nevertheless -- I went from stock to Rick Mayer, then Rick M. redo, then to Corbin (which I then did my own mod. on), back to stock but only with the intention of getting a Bill Mayer.

Finally got one that works :D

Shaping & tweaking at time of making will be between you and the "staff" at Bill's

Thanks guys! Didn't realize Rocky was so flexible on the seat design. Looking forward to getting this done.
PM to TD and TWN.
I bought a Rick Mayer seat for $219 show special, and it did not come out like the display model or the site pictures. He did not want to bother with a mod and would accept a return, but time was against that for me--already into the riding season. Also of 28 ounce vinyl and any color as long as black. Felt like I was "perched" on top rather than "in" the seat. Took it to local shop and had it reshaped so sort of sit "in" the seat, added memory foam, and replaced cover with black and gray 32 ounce vinyls. Looks great and is very comfortable for the long haul, perhaps not as good as a Russell, though.

hoosier

Another happy owner here :) I have nothing more to add that is any more constructive -- it's all been said.

Nevertheless -- I went from stock to Rick Mayer, then Rick M. redo, then to Corbin (which I then did my own mod. on), back to stock but only with the intention of getting a Bill Mayer.

Finally got one that works :D

Shaping & tweaking at time of making will be between you and the "staff" at Bill's
Reply was intended for this message, not the preceding one.

Noticed that someone else was unhappy with Rick Mayer saddle.

hoosier

I put a Bill Mayer saddle on my '06 about a month ago. Last week was the first long distance trip I've done with it, and it's absolutely the best fitting seat I've ever had on any bike. I did a 16 hour day in the saddle with only a stop for lunch and gas, with no soreness whatsoever.

The only issues I had with the seat as they originally set it up was that it was extremely difficult to install or remove the front and rear seats because there wasn't enough of the rear seat trimmed down to accomodate the larger front seat. This was also causing the rear seat to be jammed backward into the mounting tabs which I'm sure would have caused plastic to break in time. It was obvious when the finished seats were installed at the time of the ride in that it wasn't going to work, but it was too late in the afternoon to deal with it before riding home. Instead of sending the rear seat back in for refit, I resolved this by pulling the cover back on the rear seat, trimming the pan and foam to remove another 1/2" from the front edge and trimming the pointed extensions on the bottom of each side, then recovering. Looks great and actually seemed to improve the front seat fit by lower the back of the butt section a little.

I got the basket weave vinyl since I ride a lot in the rain, and use a sheepskin when it's dry.

I went to see Rocky soon after getting the bike, with the aim of lowering the seat some. He was unable to lower the seat while maintaining the comfort I wanted, so I ended up staying with the stock height. During the very pleasant morning that DH and I spent in Ojai, I was asked numerous questions, and had lots of measurements taken while sitting on the bike.

The new seat was not comfortable at first. In fact, I felt like I'd wasted a ton of $$ since it wasn't any lower and my butt hurt just the same. Just as I was told, after 1-2K miles, the seat got broken in and I forgot it was there. I've done a couple of 500 mile days, riding for up to 12hrs, and the seat has been awesome.

Be patient with your new seat. You will learn to love it once it's broken in.

Jill

I went to see Rocky soon after getting the bike, with the aim of lowering the seat some. He was unable to lower the seat while maintaining the comfort I wanted, so I ended up staying with the stock height. During the very pleasant morning that DH and I spent in Ojai, I was asked numerous questions, and had lots of measurements taken while sitting on the bike.
The new seat was not comfortable at first. In fact, I felt like I'd wasted a ton of $$ since it wasn't any lower and my butt hurt just the same. Just as I was told, after 1-2K miles, the seat got broken in and I forgot it was there. I've done a couple of 500 mile days, riding for up to 12hrs, and the seat has been awesome.

Be patient with your new seat. You will learn to love it once it's broken in.

Jill
Words of wisdom Jill! I had my seat done yesterday, a 400 mile day. The first 200 miles were not fun on the stock seat. Let's see.. not exactly IB material, but this week I have +1800 miles on the stock seat, my ass just hurts.

New seat built, get on it for the ride back, and it doesn't feel that much better. Then after an hour, it's not so bad. 3 hours later, and I'm squirming, but probably due to already being sore.

In the next week or so I'll have +3000 miles.. I'll know for sure then!

I will say that Mayers and crew sure spent a lot of time working we me. I just wish I knew more about what it was I wanted... it took 3 test rides and a 'late day' for them...

Yo, d, it'll need some break-in time. Mine did. One thing that can help is seamless britches, especially at break-in.

Good seeing you yesterday. Have a safe trip to WFO, bro!

I've not had experience with Bill's (Rocky/Bill Jr) seats butt have had one of his dad's and two of Rick's. I have had 0 problems with Rick's seats, best thing I ever did for my KLR650. And the one on the '05 FJR is great! I like the fact that Rick builds his seats unlike Rocky. And Rick's seats (IMNSHO) is very close to his dad's in design and workmanship.

Noticed that someone else was unhappy with Rick Mayer saddle.

hoosier

Yo, dCarver,

How is the seat?

After doing my SS1K at WFO5 with TurboDave's seat, I now have a ride-in scheduled for Monday the 28th. I absolutely have to have one.

And did you notice anything different with the CO mod?

Kaitsdad,

you will love it.

You also had the advantage of riding 1000+ miles on Turbo Daves :)

If you can think of anything you didn't like with his, try to explain that to them, they are great at what they do!

Ride-in is the way to go, keep test riding until they get it right.

One final word of advice...Breakfast at Egg's n things, Mmmmm!

I had about 2 hours between the final adjustment/shaping and the final covered product.

Ok, one final-final word LEATHER

Kaitsdad,you will love it.

If you can think of anything you didn't like with his, try to explain that to them, they are great at what they do!

I had about 2 hours between the final adjustment/shaping and the final covered product.

I set my ride in appointment for August 28th too! Looks like two FJR's at the same time :rolleyes: :) :D

Yo, dCarver,
How is the seat?

After doing my SS1K at WFO5 with TurboDave's seat, I now have a ride-in scheduled for Monday the 28th. I absolutely have to have one.

And did you notice anything different with the CO mod?
Happy to say that I now LOVE the seat. Wasn't too sure at first... but now after 3k+ miles, it fits me. Just looked at the calendar, your ride-in must be for Monday August 28?

Hmm. Words of wisdom collected via TWN, PawTracks and me.

1. Leather - only way to go.

2. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I decided WTF, if I don't ask the stoopid questions or make the dumb remarks, then they'll never know what I really want. And not ending up with seat you want would really suck.

3. I had a hard time communicating what I wanted because I didn't know what I wanted. I had to keep trying different ways of expressing what I felt until something hit home. This took time - and they spent the time too.

4. Pay close attention to the 'neutral' seating position. I did, and am now very happy I did so. They will place a 'wedge' under your butt to find the point that you're not leaning forward of falling back. Since getting this right, my writsts don't hurt anymore. They used to kill after 2 hours or so.

5. Take long and numerous test rides. I had 4! The other FJR that was having a seat done only took 2. He was a repeat customer so he alread knew what he was looking for.

6. I ended up with a seat that has two 'sweet' spots. One position is all the way forward, like riding a dirt bike. This allows the pelvis to tilt which takes some of the pressure off my lower back. The other is slightly back of full forward, but very forward as compared to most riders. It's the dirt biker in me I guess. Rocky said he had not seen a seat so far forward.. I must be different.. :dribble:

So - take your time, take lots of test rides, cause if you have to go back for a re-fit, it's an automatic 85 buckeroos..

Oh, and THANK YOU for the barbarian jumper mod. The bike runs much cleaner at lower revs now. Before it seemed like it had a slight miss or was not just perfect. Crzy8 now runs like a scalded ape that's sat too long on a stock seat. :D

Kaitsdad,

you will love it.

I set my ride in appointment for August 28th too! Looks like two FJR's at the same time :rolleyes: :) :D

Rocky mentioned that the FJR crowd has been very good for his biz...

Kaitsdad,

you will love it.

OV, I'm in at 07:00 - what time are you scheduled for?

Why is leather the way to go? I thought with typical riding pants it doesn't matter?