Bird Strike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagermeister

Reaction score
I had a meeting scheduled in E. KY, 3 hrs away today, and took the opportunity to ride. To avoid slab, I took some great 2-lane roads all the way.

On one of the few long strait stretches, I opened the throttle up, and was pushing triple-digit speed, when I noticed a Pigeon fly out of the field on my left. It was suicidal.

I've hit birds before, but never with my head. The sound of a small bird hitting your helmet at high speed is deafening, and it's one of the most disorienting experiences I've had on a bike.

IMG00095.jpg

IMG00094.jpg

ATGATT.

I had a meeting scheduled in E. KY, 3 hrs away today, and took the opportunity to ride. To avoid slab, I took some great 2-lane roads all the way.
On one of the few long strait stretches, I opened the throttle up, and was pushing triple-digit speed, when I noticed a Pigeon fly out of the field on my left. It was suicidal.

I've hit birds before, but never with my head. The sound of a small bird hitting your helmet at high speed is deafening, and it's one of the most disorienting experiences I've had on a bike.

IMG00095.jpg

IMG00094.jpg

ATGATT.
Glad you had your helmet on!!!

A couple of years ago on one of the Roadstar forums, there was a story of a guy you was wearing a "lid" and had a similar hit per riders in the group. Unfortunately for him, it it him in the template and killed him.

If you'd been wearing one of those real cool beanie style cruiser helmets, you'd be in a wolrd of hurt, and possible eye damage etc.

Glide you're OK. :dribble:

You could start a new helmet fad with feathers coming out the side. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
BTDT!!!

I've hit a few small birds and bats over the years and it's amazing how something the size of a robin can make you think somebody threw a brick at your head.

Damn man, you didn't bring that baby back for dinner? I had nothing in the fridge last night, could of went for grilled pigeon.

It's already been tenderized...

"It all happened so fast!" :rolleyes:

I actually flinched at the last .01 second, and turned my head right, causing the bird to glance off the left side of the helmet. If it hit me head-on (no pun intended), I imagine it could have cracked, or worse, broken through the visor.

Never, never wearing a half-helmet.

Glad you came out ok. I hit a large bird last year at around 100mph and my riding partner almost died laughing once he knew I was ok. He said nothing but bird shit and feathers exploding from my helmet.

Jagermeister, Glad that you are OK. That looked nasty. It must have felt and sounded like you were shot. Good on you for keeping it together and not panicking. ATGATT. Must have been one heck of a feather dust up.

Same thing happened to me last year riding down to EOM. Only differences were I wasn't going as fast (50-60), smaller bird and not nearly as messy.

The little sucker smacked right into my temple area - scared the shit out of me (and them I'm sure).

All I could think of is it felt just like someone threw a fastball at the side of my head.

I also tell people that my full-face helmet prob. saved my life as a beak to the temple at high speed certainly would have an unhappy ending for both of us.

Duuuuuuuude I have never it a bird on my bike (yet) but I have hit a dragonfly dead center at 130 mph and that sounded like the crack of a rifle and rocked my head back a couple inches .. I can only imagine how yours felt...

Fukin aye skippy ATGATT

Last edited by a moderator:
Even having a collision with a bee at high speed is like someone whipping a rock at your face. I'll never wearing open faced helmets.

The other day I was crusing along in the woods and I saw a bird out of the corner of my eye "damn thats a big crow" It all happened so fast but as I ducked to miss it I realixed it was a freakin turkey. I think at 100 mph that would have taken my head off!

I'd never wash that helmet again. Even Chuck Norris would be impressed by the blood.

Nah, on second thought, he would laugh and ask why you didn't hit it in the middle of the faceshield.

Was following forum member bristercl last fall on a short local ride one weekend day.

It's true.........those stories you hear about things happening in slow motion.

While following bristercl I saw a hawk fly across the road, approaching bristercl from his left and actually hit his mirror. Feathers flew, the hawk knocked senseless kind of flapped around, appeared to do a flip or two in air, then regained it's composure and flew off :blink: .......never hitting the ground. It took bristercl a little longer to compose himself than did the hawk. He pulled over to the shoulder and stopped. He asked me........what the hell was that? a bird?.......told him yep, a hawk as a matter of fact. Bristercl never saw it approach, just the impact. I guess his periphery vision being blocked by the helmet prevented his ability to see the kamikazi.

Scarred the crap out of me watching that large bird swooping down on bristercl, I thought it was big enough to knock him off his bike if it had hit him just right........fortunately the mirror was easy to replace.

Dam birds............think I'll have fried ckn tonight for supper.