Bleed valve nipple caps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPRIDER

Reaction score
I guess you don't really need them, but I guess I'm a bit anal about keeping any kind of dirt or splooge out of the bleed valves on the brake calipers. I lost one and want to replace it and get some spares. I've been googling the hell out of it and almost everything made to sell is in the UK. Most won't ship here and the ones that do are pretty pricey to ship the overpriced rubber caps. Dealerships don't keep them in stock for some odd reason and places that do brake jobs on cars don't have them either. You can order them through Yamaha if you order the bleeder valve with it. WTF! All I want is the little rubber cap to put on the bleeder valve. Anybody here found a place here in the states where you can get them that doesn't charge 50 times what it cost to make them. :glare:

GP

Suggestion -- Instead of trying to find the exact same cap, visit the local auto parts store and find a blister pack of vacuum caps. Or...a very short piece of rubber hose with a small dab of black RTV to plug the end.

No one will know the difference but you!

--G

Edit, or visit Cycle Parts Warehouse and buy the whole bleeder for $3.56 and have a spare! Never mind...you've already thought of this option. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thanks for the replies. The speed bleeders sound interesting, but I can change the fluid with the old Mighty Vac in about 30 minutes anyway. I've been to several automotive stores and didn't find any vacuum caps. I'll try some more. The short piece of hose with the black RTV in the end sounds like a good temp. fix till I find something close to the original cap. Might have to try a salvage yard too. There are quite a few motorcycle salvage yards in the Dallas area, not to mention auto salvage yards. Still don't understand why motorcycle dealerships don't have a box of them behind the parts counter to give or sell to customers though. Even stanger that you can order them all over the UK, but not here.

GP

Well, I found something that will work and not look bad either. I found some rubber vacuum caps(at Oreilys auto parts) similar to the ones on the throttle bodies that you remove when doing the TB sync. Go on easy enough and are snug enough to stay on. 2.29+ tax for six of them. Not too bad.

GP :)

Brake fluid tends to break down the rubber ones, but you can get OEM Yammy or Honda ones for not a lot, more like a rubbery plastic.

Brake fluid tends to break down the rubber ones, but you can get OEM Yammy or Honda ones for not a lot, more like a rubbery plastic.
Well truth be known, these would be for my Vmax and not my FJR. The ones on the Vmax seem to be rubber and have broken down(the ones on my FJR seem to be rubber also) and yes I know the brake fluid deteriorates them. That's why I need to replace one or more of them. My original post stated that I couldn't find any OEM caps that you didn't have to buy the bleeder valve with it. $4 or $5 isn't too bad for both, but I don't need both. I just need some caps. Also the shipping is almost twice the cost of the item I would be ordering. So in the end I would be paying around $10 or more for a 10 cent bleeder valve cap. I guess I'm too much of a tightwad. I haven't checked the Honda OEM parts websites, so they may sell them seperate and cheaper, but I doubt it. I'll bet the vacuum caps will last for quite a few years before they need replacing. :)

GP

Go to your favorite Honda dealer. When the parts counter man asks for a bike make & model, tell him 1982 Honda Ascot. The brake bleed valve caps can be had by themselves for a nominal price.

Good luck

smile.gif

Brodie

Thanks Brodie. I tried a Yamaha dealership and a Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership and they didn't keep them in stock. The only way to get them was to order them with a bleeder valve.

GP