blinker indicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrider

Reaction score
th_DSC00951.jpg
th_DSC00956.jpg
th_DSC00953.jpg
Tired of not noticing your blinker is on. I installed some led lights on my mirror mounts. here are some pitures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea, as Cota said details please! I'm constantly leaving on my turn signal on and a visual reminder would be a great idea.

Instead of visual cue to let you know to turn the blinkers off y'all should use a tactile signal.

Like a 12 volt shock to yer nutsack.

th_DSC00958.jpg

th_DSC00951.jpg
th_DSC00956.jpg
th_DSC00953.jpg
Tired of not noticing your blinker is on. I installed some led lights on my mirror mounts. here are some pitures.
Details ...details...inquiring minds want to know! :rolleyes:
I bought the led's at a local auto parts store. $9 for 4 they are about a 1/4" round drilled a small hole in the mirror brackets and a hole in the ferring under the mirror bracket ran the wires down to the blinker plug and they work great.the lower ferring does have to be removed to get at the wiring.

Nutsack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I used the word of the day! Guess It's Beer time :clapping:

:jester:

Instead of visual cue to let you know to turn the blinkers off y'all should use a tactile signal.
They make those...well not really a shock to the sack, but anyone not knowing it is there will think that is what they are getting. I had one on my VTX..may get one for the FJR. This little LED thingy is kinda cool though...

They make those...well not really a shock to the sack, but anyone not knowing it is there will think that is what they are getting. I had one on my VTX..may get one for the FJR. This little LED thingy is kinda cool though...

Ya could just sew it into a pair of underware and get even more effect from it. On those long and lonesome highways you just put a few miles with your hazards on and happily ride past those houses of ill reput! Maybe....

I've installed this electronic beeper on my last few bikes and it works like a charm. Volume depends on where you mount it. I put it under the battery panel and I can hear it up to 75mph. I fit was mounted on the outside of that panel, the volume who be good for higher speeds but a little too load (for me) at a red light.

electronic turn signal buzzer

Nutsack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey I used the word of the day! Guess It's Beer time :clapping:

:jester:
I'm one step ahead of you. Didn't use the word, but got a nice adult beverage sitting next to me. And in Utah, ya gotta do a shot of Jack to make the beer equal the rest of the real world...

I've installed this electronic beeper on my last few bikes and it works like a charm. Volume depends on where you mount it. I put it under the battery panel and I can hear it up to 75mph. I fit was mounted on the outside of that panel, the volume who be good for higher speeds but a little too load (for me) at a red light.
How'd you wire it?

Second Cota95's comment on audible beeper. Put one on my 07 for less than $5 from Radio Shack. Thought I got directions from post on here but can't find it again. But found this one and it is similar but uses one rectifier as opposed to two resistors that I used. Works great. I mounted mine in same location as Cota

https://web.mac.com/danoaks/www.dirtly.com/Beeper.html

a visual reminder would be a great idea.
Uhhhhh, your bike already has two of them conveniently installed in the instrument cluster...
True, but in 2006 (I notice that you have a 2005) Yamaha made the indicators smaller. My Honda ST has large amber indicators that I never ignore, but I have often driven my FJR oblivious the the fact that the turn signals are still on.

Blinker Buddy

Blinker Buddy generates a mild buzzing that you feel in the seat. The vibration alternates, on and off, with the turn signals. You feel every flash of your blinkers and know, positively, if the signal is on or off.

Installation is simple and easily done on either a stock or custom seat by you or your local service center. Only a 1-1/4"x3-1/2" hole in the bottom of the seat is required. The device is installed through the hole and the foam or seat padding is modified to allow the device to be pushed through it so the device goes through most of the padding but does not come in contact with the underside of the seat covering. A simple two-wire connection completes the installation.

The only problem is that this one rode all the way home with the blinkers on (and a smile on her face).

2252087623_0fec54ebef_b.jpg

==========================================

Well, if you do want to go with the extra LEDs in a visible location and don't want to drill holes you can do the install using self adhesive & paintable flat wire. The low power LEDs and most small lights can be run using the flat wire. While not cheap, a 25’ roll should last you a lifetime or you could offer to share with other FJR owners.

How'd you wire it?
You tap into the directional wires for each side. 30 minute job.

On my FZ1, I had (have; it's not sold yet) a single bright LED on top of the instrument cluster aimed at my face. It was like a shift light on a racing tachometer, but very small. Impossible to ignore on a sunny day, but at night it was too bright and unecessary, so I added a switch to turn it off after dark. It was wired up to both front blinkers using diodes (one way valves for electrical current). I need to do something similar on the FJR, but the access under the fairing is a lot more difficult. Forgetting to turn off one's signal is a definite safety issue and willpower alone isn't always enough to remember. My GPS blocks the dim indicators.

If you are looking for a single LED indicator solution for the turn signals you can tap the output of the turn signal relay. Be sure the LED you use has an internal drop resistor or add a drop resistor that is appropriate for the LED you choose. LEDs are typically sold by mA (current) angle of light (degrees) and Millicandela (MCD = brightness)

Tap this wire:

Gen I -- tan/white wire at the turn signal switch on the handlebars.

Gen II -- tan/white at the turn signal switch; or tan/green in the harness.

Examples of LEDs from Radio Shack:

276-311 Blue; moderate brightness 24°; 300 MCD

276-330 Red; moderate brightness 40°; 120 MCD

276-351 Yellow; wicked bright 40°; 1900 MCD

:nerdsmiley: Way more than you ever wanted to know: :dead:

40° @ 2500 millicandela = .940 lumens; a 100 watt light bulb = 1,700 lumens

10° @ 2500 millicandela = .060 lumens

It is apparent that the wider angles of light will vastly improve brightness.

Current limiting resistors for LEDs that require one (choose one that is close the calculated value)

60mA LED -- 228 Ω; 2 watt

40mA LED -- 324 Ω; 1 watt

20mA LED -- 685 Ω; ½ watt

10mA LED -- 1.37K; ¼ watt