Bloated Angel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it all worked out and nothing bad happened to you as the result of the extra air.

This is why I check my own pressure , and even when the shop installs my tires I still check them myself with my gauge before I ride it. And this is not solely because I distrust the shop, I have found that pressure gauges seem to vary, so as 99% of the tires life I will be using my gauge, it just makes sence to go by my own readings.

And yeah, I am always a bit paranoid about having someone else touch my bike................

... So I guess he made a tare psi and added from there?
Strange, I've never heard of an air pressure gauge that can set tare. And if the tire was at zero PSI, wouldn't you suspect a leak rather then just put some air in it?

Anyway, good of them to make good on it.

Update: Upon checking, they agreed they messed up with the reading. However, they started going down the road that the bike was too heavy for the Angels. When I told them I had to wait for the E spec due to the weight...they realized they failed to order the E spec. Two new tires enroute. :yahoo:
I try really hard to stay positive. You won't find too many of my posts that dump on somebody or a vendor, but this one's going to be an exception.

Coleman's is a big chain that has a lot of advertising and sells a lot of bikes and cars. But when it comes to their service departments, the entire chain is an absolute repetitive disaster. In your case, let's see:

1. A service manager is generally a little more experienced. But this one didn't notice the tire wasn't flat when the gauge showed zero psi?

2. Services it to more than 80 psi and doesn't pick up that that tires are hard as rocks.

3. Good that they owned up to making the mistake, but then ordered the wrong tires.

That's 3 strikes right there. On just one bike.

Sorry, but this is NOT a surprise to hear a story like this for any of the Coleman's service departments. They have a few really good mechanics who try to make a difference. But start asking at other dealers and shops and you'll find lots of mechanics who started at Coleman's, got smarter, and left. There are just too many other "oops made a mistake" stories coming from the Coleman chain of stores. It only took a really fast Google search to be able to relate a whole THREAD of similar stories from the DC area Beemer owners: https://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3356

I'll buy parts at one of their stores now & then for my son's Suzuki, but even that has had numerous - ahem - "challenges."

After they install your new tires, I'd check the pressure with your own gauge, check that the directional arrows are correct on each tire, then go anywhere ELSE for further service!

Last edited by a moderator:
So they replaced your tires both front and rear and never charged you a dime because they overfilled them with air?

If that is the case, I'd say they went above and beyond. Good for you.