Blown Fuse?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
greetings...

i need your wisdom

I was adding the FZ1 fuzeblock today to my 2010 and testing wires down along the left side under the seat.

The usual suspects were there and the blue wire in the tail light bundle looked Ok to positap.

Just then, I happened upon a happy pair of fat and nice blue and black wires just below the taillight bundle and tested them. AHA! the blue one here is also a switched wire!

I slipped the positap on, switched the key on and tested. I had switched power!

THEN...

when when reaching up to turn off the key, the end of the new wire, now tapped into the nice fat blue wire touched the bike frame.

SPARK.

all the tail lamps are now out.

the wire no longer tests positive for switched power (or any power for that matter)

the bike will start, and run, and the headlights and dashlights come on.

The fuses in the right panel have all been checked, and are all intact.

now i'm at a loss...

i need advice and wisdom. and it's NOT FRIDAY YET

photo4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So have you checked all the fuses, sounds like a simple enough fix?

Oh and it's mid-day on Friday here in Japan :rolleyes:

simple is what i had hoped too...

I've checked all the fuses in the right panel near the battery...

are there others???

I've got a week long ride coming up in 1 week so... i'm hoping for some direction here

Don't check a fuse by looking at it. Check it with an ohmmeter.

The taillight circuit is on the same fuse (labeled hazard lighting) with the front running lights, and the turn signals. I'll bet none of those work, either.

Don't check a fuse by looking at it. Check it with an ohmmeter.

The taillight circuit is on the same fuse (labeled hazard lighting) with the front running lights, and the turn signals. I'll bet none of those work, either.
+1. If you do not have an ohmmeter use a standard test light. With the key on and the test light lead attached to the neg battery cable touch both sides of the top of the fuses. Your test light should illuminate when the post tops are touched on both sides. If it lights on one side and not the other you have a bad or blown fuse. The Hazard Lighting fuse is the third from the battery side on the inside box set (if that makes sense).

Ok. Interesting. It was the hazard circuit. The fuze looked normal but the meter showed it as dead. Up and running again! Thanks! I guess I will add a small test light to my kit!

If you do not have an ohmmeter use a standard test light.
Screw that! Any project not worthy of a new tool for your toolbox isn't worth bothering with. Go get an multimeter. You'll use it lots over the rest of your life.
While I tend to agree, all too often we find ourselves without access to our tools and purchasing redundant equipment sucks. Inexpensive alternatives to roadside fixes are always worth learning.

Hi Guys i know this post is alittle old now but where is that fuse? ive opened the left panel and checked the fuses but no tail fuse and ive checked at the battery and still no tail light fuse..hmmmm

Just a note, all the other lights are working including the hazard lights, just no tail lights...so it must have its own fuse but l carnt find it :(

Hi Guys i know this post is alittle old now but where is that fuse? ive opened the left panel and checked the fuses but no tail fuse and ive checked at the battery and still no tail light fuse..hmmmm
Falls under the parking light fuse if I remember correctly.

It's called the Tail/Position Light fuse in Gen I FJRs. Note that the fuses in positions 8, 9 & 10 were mislabeled on '03 and some '04 FJRs. My FJR is one of the ones that is mislabeled.