Blue Ridge Parkway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
Last Friday, a group of 6 bikes (2 Harleys, 1 Triumph Trophy, 1 Gold Wing, 1 Yami V-Max and 1 mighty blue FJR) left Johnson City, TN for a ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Floyd, VA (for an overnight stay) and then back down the BRP to home. Roundtrip abt 410 miles. Friday was a spectacular, beautiful day...blue sky, no haze in the mountains. Here's some piccies that you might enjoy.

FirstBreak.jpg

LunchBreak.jpg

LunchBreakII.jpg

LunchView.jpg

BRPGasStop.jpg

PMBreak.jpg

PMBreakII.jpg

AfternoonView.jpg

GrandFatherMtnStop.jpg

Great pics! Were the LEO's out in full force? Could you maintain a 'spirited' pace or did you need to keep it cool due to traffic and those out to 'serve and protect'?

That's quite a mix of bikes. Add an R1 and you'd ahe all styles accounted for :D

Granfather Mountain eh? Can you tell us about that place?

OrangevaleFJR

Howdy. Grandfather mountain is the tallest peak in the Blue Ridge area. It is a privately owned mountain that charges admission...I've only been in once.

Try this clicky for more info...

Clicky

@Randy

We boarded the BRP around Grandfather Mountain. When we exited at Floyd, Va, I had only seen 2 LEO's. I don't have a radar detector so I can't say if they were running active radar.

We ran 55-60 mph most of the time except when we got behind some cage traffic. The speed limit on the BRP is either 35 or 45. There was a lot of "maintenance" going on, mowing, edging, sweeping, etc, as they're probably getting ready for the onslaught of "leaf peepers."

Also, if you've ever been on the BRP, you know it's hard to pass, especially as a group, when you get behind car traffic. Fortunately, a lot of the car drivers were courteous and would pull into a scenic overlook area to let our group of bikes pass.

Sure do miss riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway since moving from Georgia to Texas. In my opinion, it is one of the finest motorcycle roads in America. 460+- wonderful miles of limited access curvy, hilly smooth blacktop, tracking along the Blue Ridge mountain peaks. :cownoy:

@kenfjrrider

+1 on the BRP.

By the way, I was born in Mineral Wells, TX and grew up in Brock, TX. Have lots of relatives in Dallas, Ft. Worth and Weatherford.

Transplanted to East TN abt 10 yrs ago. Although I'm a born and raised Texas boy, I really like this area of the country.

Sure do miss riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway since moving from Georgia to Texas. In my opinion, it is one of the finest motorcycle roads in America. 460+- wonderful miles of limited access curvy, hilly smooth blacktop, tracking along the Blue Ridge mountain peaks. :cownoy:
How is the access limited? If I got there on the FJR, can I ride it?

O'Vfjr, I think what was meant by the comment is that there are few entrance/exit points to worry about...just lots of smooth, curvy asphalt and lots of Blue Ridge mountain views.

If you get there on an FJR, you can ride it...Boy, can you ride it!! :D

brazos parker

yes,, the BRP is fab,, I live in Roanoke Va. and ride it often,

when you were in Floyd did you try the Tuggle Gap eats and Motel on Rt. 8 ??

@g5

No, we did not try Tuggle Gap Eats and Motel...will have to put that on the list for next trip.

We ate dinner at a restaurant in the downtown area...usually, it's Mama Lasordo's but not this time. Breakfast is always at the Blue Ridge Cafe...IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you guessed, it does snow here. And, frequently, in the winter, large parts of the BRP are closed.

Also, fog can be a problem at times...can't see the entry or shape or exit of the turns. Pretty spooky for me when that happens.

Pick the good days and it's mellow riding w/ spectacular views.