Blue Tooth/GPS tech questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin98208

Reaction score
I am looking for some type of guide or walk-thru here. I have a Droid Razr M and an FJR1300. I would like to somehow combine the two. My goal is to have my phone attached to the bike somehow so I can see the screen when riding (its okay if I have to look down.) I would like to be able to play music on my phone and somehow hear it in my helmet. I would also like to use the GPS navigation on my phone, and be able to see it as I ride, and hear the turn-by-turn navigation if I so desire. (So tired of having to stop, pull out my phone, take a look at the map, put it away, then keep going.)

I know this can all be done, I just have no idea how. I am a techno-idiot. Those books that read "Iphones for Dummies" leave me confused and bewildered. If it doesn't require a wrench and hammer to set up, I am at a lost. Heck, I just got my first flat-screen TV two years ago, and my first smart phone last winter.

I am sure that the term "Blue Tooth" will come up, and related hi-tech fancy speak. I am thinking I need some type of mount for my phone, and some type of bluetooth set-up for my helmet, and then I have to "integrate" them. (I tried to integrate Windows 7 onto my home PC with a hammer and crow-bar, but that didn't go so well. Looking for a more subtle approach this time.)

Can anyone help?

Lots of options, fun stuff.

Here's my setup back when I had a Razr, I custom made alum rails to fit the stem mount.

Picture20549_zps6579ef45.jpg

IMG_20130321_083859_393_zpse2eeac8a.jpg

I have a similar setup on my bike. I wired in a USB port to power my Droid phone: https://www.cyclenutz.com/All-Weather-USB-Hardwire-Kit_p_475.html

My phone is mounted on a stem mount: https://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=7, with a Ram bracket: https://www.rammount.com/Products/XGriptradeMounts/XGriptradePhoneMounts/tabid/4688/Default.aspx.

I went the cheap route for the headphones and bought these (watch for sales): https://www.amazon.com/LG-Wireless-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B0052YFYFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373893029&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+bluetooth+headset The headphones charge off a USB port and will go about 8 hours on a charge.

John

Keep in mind when using the phone for GPS: unless you have installed an app with maps stored on the phone, you're going to be hitting data transfer all the time while using the GPS, as the maps are on the system's servers and downloaded to the phone as needed while you travel. $$$ for data plane, maybe. Secondly, if you get into areas with no service, you have no maps. The GPS will give you lat/long, but you won't have map imagery until you have data service again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ram.mount and smh10 are great options. In addition to the caution about data being used for maps (ran into this two days ago...lost data connection and lost my.map and route and had to wander around till I got a data connection again)

Also would like to caution you on battery life. Obviously with the screen on, Bluetooth connection, and data being transferred, you will wear down the battery quickly. Look into a way to plug the phone in while on the ram.mount to keep it powered.

Alternatively, and I would suggest this if you use the GPS often, get a dedicated GPS that offers Bluetooth connectivity. Something like a Harmon nuvi. Put mp3s on the GPS unit and connect it to your Sena headset. No map worries, no data worries, and you can still connect your phone to your headset as well allowing you to take phonecalls while reverting back to the GPS unit for music and directions.

I'm going dedicated GPS because of data connectivity on the phone.

Alexi

I think the absolutely easiest way to do this is to get a non-waterproof RAM mount for your phone, find a way to charge it, and then get Etymotic MC-5 or custom earbuds plugged directly into the phone's audio jack.

You will have some limitations, primarily being that your setup is not waterproof and communication will consist of hand signals, and you may need to switch to gloves which are compatible with your phone's capacitative display. You won't be able to see the phone display in full sun either, especially if you are wearing sunglasses. You may also need to find an app that will not timeout and lock your phone's display after some time.

Or, get a dedicated waterproof BT-enabled GPS with a bright resistive-touch display (i.e. it works with gloves on), and plug the earbuds into the audio jack of that device.

I've gone a step further - and I really do think this is the best setup, because it is super easy to use, rain or shine. Here's what you'll need:

1. Garmin Zumo 550: $400 or so. Not as fancy as the more expensive 660+, but the screen is much better in daylight.

2. Phone. You've got that already.

3. Sena SMH-10: $150 or so.

4. Custom earbuds ($300) or Etymotic MC-5 ($60). Dont' bother with speakers in the helmet; you won't hear them well over the earplugs.

Pair the devices like this:

Sena -> Phone, media selective pairng only (AD2P). This means the phone music will be heard through the sena, and the Sena can pause/fast forward, etc. On the phone, configure this for media only.

Sena -> Zumo, phone selective pairing only (HFP). This allows the Sena to be a hands free device for the Zumo's routing directions and when the Zumo handles a call for you.

Phone -> Zumo, phone pairing. This allows the Zumo to handle all the calls, and will forward them to the Sena. On the phone, configure this for phone only.

So when I turn all the things on in no particular order, it will all pair up nicely.

When I hold the Sena button down, I can start/pause/resume my music or podcast playlist.

When the GPS has to tell me to turn, it will beep or boop or talk into my sena headset, interrupting the music to do so.

When I get a phone call, it shows up on the nice bright GPS display, where I can actually push the buttons with my gloved fingers, even in the rain, and answer/reject or make phone calls through the Sena.

The only remaining problem I have is that when the GPS is set up to give me navigational directions, other Sena users will occasionally not be able to reach me. SO I turn off route guidance and just look at the GPS display instead.

I have a similar setup on my bike. I wired in a USB port to power my Droid phone: https://www.cyclenutz.com/All-Weather-USB-Hardwire-Kit_p_475.html
My phone is mounted on a stem mount: https://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=7, with a Ram bracket: https://www.rammount.com/Products/XGriptradeMounts/XGriptradePhoneMounts/tabid/4688/Default.aspx.

I went the cheap route for the headphones and bought these (watch for sales): https://www.amazon.com/LG-Wireless-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B0052YFYFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373893029&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+bluetooth+headset The headphones charge off a USB port and will go about 8 hours on a charge.

John
I like the tech mount. What ram bracket did you use to attach the phone to the mount?

Stay with your android, run Co-Pilot GPS app (1.3GB pre map-tiles download for North America including Canada).

It's WAYYYY more customizable for your roads and for a motorcycle this means a lot. Also way more toggles to customize with your setup you desire. I have 2 Garmins and have not gone back to them since going to my 7" Galaxy Tab2 w (Android) running Co-Pilot Pro (paid) app but it's only like $10 bucks. Stay 21st century. Garmin needs to get up to date with their screen/resolutions/graphics. It's like watching a 480i TV set. Not bad for 1996 I guess.

John
I like the tech mount. What ram bracket did you use to attach the phone to the mount?
I used the X-Grip. It adjusts to different sized phones/devices.

... I have a Droid Razr M and an FJR1300... Those books that read "Iphones for Dummies" leave me confused and bewildered....Can anyone help?
You are confused and bewildered because you have a Droid and the book is for an iPhone. See, wasn't that helpful.

Lots of great advice Kevin. I use an iPhone, Sena and Ram mounts to accomplish what you're looking for.

As an aside...keep an eye on the PNW section for the fall Tech Day in Auburn. There will be 30-40 bikes there with all sorts of ideas for any farkles you can imagine.

Good Luck!

--G

I use the Ram X mount for my phone. Super solid and won't have to change when I upgrade.

When I only had the phone I used a Sony bluetooth "dongle", it's just earbuds and a mic. 45 bucks I think.

Used base navigation instead of Verizons pay service. Works better than the Garmin by far.... until you ride out of service... so now I also have a Garmin.

Oh... and run power for the phone and never worry about the battery!

... I have a Droid Razr M and an FJR1300... Those books that read "Iphones for Dummies" leave me confused and bewildered....Can anyone help?
You are confused and bewildered because you have a Droid and the book is for an iPhone. See, wasn't that helpful.
LMAO, sometimes the simple statements right if front of your nose passes by you so easily! Good catch.

Great information. Thanks everyone. Time to start ordering some stuff.

Does anyone use U-Clear UBC100 headset? About the same price as the Sena, but is smaller and without the boom mike. I ride solo, and not in a group, so my talking will be limited. I don't need a great mike.

Thanks so much for all the great info. I purchased a ram ball that screws to the brake fluid resevoir, then purchased the Ram X mount to attach to that. The X Mount works fantastic, and adjusts so I can get the screen perfect. I bought CO-Pilot Live Premium for GPS use as it downloads all the maps to the phone and isn't reliant on data availability. I haven't bought the headset yet, as I haven't really needed it. I am able to see the directions on my phone just fine for the few times I have needed to use it.

The Sena might be a Christmas present to myself.
smile.png

Hi Kevin,

I use the UClearHB200 and would recommend it over the 100. It has more features and you can even upgrade the firmware via the UClear website as they provide upgrades. I have dealt with their customer service and they are great.

I have the Aria RXQ Helmet (Quiet Helmet) and the FJR Touring Screen on a new 2013 Model. Wind noise with the shield up is very low, so the speakers in the helmet work great, even with earplugs in. If you have a lot of wind noise on your bike, I would maybe go the route of earbuds. You will loose the ability for the phone and no cords.

I have a Droid X, so paired up, you can receive a phone call all by voice. It will ring and all you have to do is say "hello" and it will connect the call. You can play music from Pandora, or MP3 on your phone. You can access voice commands on your phone and place calls going down the road if needed. If you are navigating with Google Maps on your phone it will give you the turn by turn and mute the music, then return the music after the directions. You can start and stop the music, and skip songs forward or backward on your phone. It will pair with the Zumo series of GPS. A word of advice on all other Garmin GPS units that have bluetooth. They will pair to phones, but not headsets, only the Zumo series will pair with headsets.

I have the "Balls Mount" sold by a member on the forum. It uses the bolts on the front of the tank just below the handle bars to mount and it's stationary. It has a 3" rod that has a standard Ram Mount Ball on top. I got the Ram X phone mount (Amazon). I ran a weatherized USB charging cord up to the mount. I use a short right angle USB to Micro USB cord (Amazon) to plug in my phone to keep it charged.

It all works really well.

+1 on the Co-Pilot GPS for my Android phone (Droid DNA). I too use the X grip mounted off of the "FJR 1300 TRIPLE TREE RAM BALL NUT" from motorcyclelarry.com

2.1A USB charger plugged into the 12V plug in the glovebox.

Latest posts