Bluetooth Connectivity, Connecting Starcom 1 to other bluetooth devices.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I have a StarComm 1 Digital unit installed on my FJR. I also have the bluetooth (BTM-02) unit to connect my iPhone to the unit. Some of my riding partners have bluetooth installed on their helmets like the UClear and Blink. I've read that you have to have the same unit to talk to each other.

Starcomm has the Wire3 bluetooth dongle that is designed to pair to many of these headsets. It also says you can plug it into the passenger port of the Starcomm unit. My plan is to get the Wire 3 and plug it into the Passenger port of the starcomm and pair it to my riding partner (bike to bike). I know I would only be able to talk to one (the one it's paired to) but that is better than none.

Here are my questions:

Has anyone here tried this setup?

How does it work?

What is the range?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this heads-up. I know nothing except what the link you provided stated, but I am thinking all this device does is to eliminate the wired connection to your headset and replace it with a wireless one. The bike-to-bike capabilities would come solely from whatever Bluetooth headset you have -- I have the Scala G4 -- and have nothing to do with the Wire3 itself. Thus, I question whether using the passenger port would work. I'd think you'd have to attach it to the same port that your headset and microphone are receiving from and sending to.

If using this would allow the Scala 4 to replace my earbuds and at the same time provide all of the audio that comes from the Starcom Digital -- GPS, Radar, and phone, through the GPS -- while also allowing me to do bike-to-bike with a paired device and talking on the phone, I think it has potential!

But what the heck do I know?!

Rich.....know a couple of brothers who ride Wings and they have the U clear bluetooth bike to bike and its good for about a football field at the most.........but thats usually good enough. I also have the U clear and have a buddy wth a BMW 1600 and I can't hook into the BMW bluetooth system......if we want to communicate we just have to call on the phone.............hope this helps a little......bike to bike is still not mature IMO, kinda flaky and prone to less than ideal situations. Most of the problem is the wind noise in the helmet. I think a simple GMRS to GMRS would be good if you could cut the noise out, as it is it all pretty much sucks after 50mph...........

I’m with Tom on this one. I’ve tried various “bike to bike” arrangements and have found all of them to be pretty much stone age stuff. For the rare times I feel like talking to anyone I have a Sena SMH-10 unit on one of my helmets and just pair it through the GPS to my phone. Unlimited range (except for that one ten mile stretch southwest of Squawscunt, Arizona where there’s no cell service). The mic and helmet speakers with the Sena are good enough that phone conversations are completely clear at speeds law enforcement would definitely consider imprudent. And that’s with my ears which are all but useless from too much time spent behind crop duster motors and machineguns. And I always wear foam earplugs jammed in as far as they will go. No earbuds required and completely wireless.

I have done the GMRS radios with the starcom in the past with pretty good results. I'm wanting to change because all my riding buddies have these new bluetooth connections. I know the Starcom wire 3 will connect to the passenger port in the Starcom, at least it says it will in the online description. It also says it will pair with most of these bluetooth units.

So, If it will pair with a buddies unit and it will work in the passenger port, I should be able to talk through the bluetooth connection as if I had a passenger on the bike with me. The units wouldn't know the difference. The only issue would be the range. If I could talk a few hundred feet away, that might be doable. However, if the range is only 33' then it would not be worth it.

Does this make sense to you guys? Or am I trying to ask to much from this system? I don't see why it shouldn't work...

Okay, Rich, I think I am following what you're proposing: To make your buddy on his bike act as a Bluetoothed passenger plugged into the passenger connection. Then I think your range would be in that 33 feet vicinity, only. As I said above, for longer range I think you need to rely on the abilities of your particular headset system -- e.g., Scala 4 -- and the only advanage of the Wire3 would be to eliminate the wired connection into your own helmet.

But that is pure speculation on my part. I am intrigued enough that I may buy a Wire3 and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator: