Bluetooth FRS/GPRS Radio?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I would like:

I'd like a wired-to-the-bike Autocom-like box that can process various and sundry audio inputs and outputs, but that has two bluetooth nodes so that I can run the driver and passenger stereo BT connections.

I would not care if the box had the ability to pair with any other BT devices (like my phone, etc.) but that would be sort of cool if it could. The main thing is to cut the cords between me, my passenger and the bike.

The bluetooth helmet sets should be very small with minimal battery requirements since the bike to bike comms would be handled by the box.

I'm really, really hoping that this is what Autocom has up their sleeves... (yet to be announced)

Or, a central hub (like an Autocomm or Starcom) that connects all the devices, but uses BT to the helmet, would be perfect. But alas, I don't think any exist on the market for sale yet.
Now that would be the cat's meow!

I think BT technology for helmets is about to take off. Until the major bike communications manufacturers step up with some real Bluetooth options, this technology ain't ready for prime time!
-BD
Completely agree

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd like a wired-to-the-bike Autocom-like box that can process various and sundry audio inputs and outputs, but that has two bluetooth nodes so that I can run the driver and passenger stereo BT connections.

I would not care if the box had the ability to pair with any other BT devices (like my phone, etc.) but that would be sort of cool if it could. The main thing is to cut the cords between me, my passenger and the bike.

The bluetooth helmet sets should be very small with minimal battery requirements since the bike to bike comms would be handled by the box.

I'm really, really hoping that this is what Autocom has up their sleeves... (yet to be announced)

To add to that;

Many of us are already using the wired Starcom or Autocom. How about developing a device that BT's between the existing Starcom/Autocom and our helmet?

Probably a re-itteration of what you just said.

To add to that;

Many of us are already using the wired Starcom or Autocom. How about developing a device that BT's between the existing Starcom/Autocom and our helmet?

Probably a re-itteration of what you just said.
If you read the descriptions of the current Autocomm boxes they indicate they are "ready" for the blue tooth modules once those become available. Wha they will actually do, and what there functionality will be is yet to be seen.

If you read the descriptions of the current Autocomm boxes they indicate they are "ready" for the blue tooth modules once those become available. Wha they will actually do, and what there functionality will be is yet to be seen.

Just did a brief search regarding Autocom's BT HERE and HERE. It seems they do have BT, but it only pairs between the audio control unit and a Peripheral unit such as a BT enabled cell phone, Garmin Zumo 550 or the like. Although handy, it does not pair the Audio control unit to the helmet. Ideally, I think what most of us want is the ability to have a wire free helmet, but still utilize the function of our Autocom/Starcom's abilities.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Sport

I've also looked at the Baehr units. There is a section on their web site that sums up some good points about Bluetooth versus wired. Admirable of them to take the time to point out the other edge of the Bluetooth blade.

But: No rose without a thorn. Your wireless freedom comes with a price:You have to recharge the batteries - our wire-bound systems are always immediately

ready: Just plug in and off you go.

The send/receive unit is always on air and built into the helmet, very close to your

head. The transmitting parts of our wire-bound systems are built into the motorcycle -

far away from your head.

Additional weight in helmet

Incompatibility of accessories to connect, because of no consistent Blue Tooth standards.

For our wire-bound systems we are able to offer almost 300 different adaptors,

easily enabling you to connect almost any additional equipment.

Possible loss of important information as only one signal at a time is being transmitted

(wire-bound systems transmit all signals at all times, volume depending on priority).

Significantly less volume and sound quality compared to our wire-bound systems.

As there is no consistent standard for Blue Tooth, not all Blue Tooth capable mobile phones

or navigation systems are compatible with the baehr Blue Tronic head set. The results

of devices we tested can be found on an up-to-date list on our web site.
I think we still need the new FEEJERtooth standard for wireless devices.

:)

I've also looked at the Baehr units. There is a section on their web site that sums up some good points about Bluetooth versus wired. Admirable of them to take the time to point out the other edge of the Bluetooth blade.

But: No rose without a thorn. Your wireless freedom comes with a price:You have to recharge the batteries - our wire-bound systems are always immediately

The send/receive unit is always on air and built into the helmet, very close to your

head. The transmitting parts of our wire-bound systems are built into the motorcycle -

far away from your head.

Incompatibility of accessories to connect, because of no consistent Blue Tooth standards.

Possible loss of important information as only one signal at a time is being transmitted

(wire-bound systems transmit all signals at all times, volume depending on priority).

As there is no consistent standard for Blue Tooth, not all Blue Tooth capable mobile phones

or navigation systems are compatible with the baehr Blue Tronic head set. The results

I think we still need the new FEEJERtooth standard for wireless devices.

That is a good comparo of the two. Ideally I think we'd all like to go wireless, but until the technology is on par, with say, Star Trek Next Generation, we may only be able to dream...

Just did a brief search regarding Autocom's BT HERE and HERE. It seems they do have BT, but it only pairs between the audio control unit and a Peripheral unit such as a BT enabled cell phone, Garmin Zumo 550 or the like. Although handy, it does not pair the Audio control unit to the helmet. Ideally, I think what most of us want is the ability to have a wire free helmet, but still utilize the function of our Autocom/Starcom's abilities.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Sport
See here: Autocom web site

Expand the item in the chart called: Bluetooth Adaptable

Engineered to be expanded in the future with optional Bluetooth phone and headset modules (in development).
So they do have some modules already for pairing to devices (like phones, etc.) but not the headsets yet. That's the part I want to see...

That is a good comparo of the two. Ideally I think we'd all like to go wireless, but until the technology is on par, with say, Star Trek Next Generation, we may only be able to dream...
You can bet I will buy the first SevenOfNine model available.

You can bet I will buy the first SevenOfNine model available.

I'll just take the seven; you have have the nine?

Resistance is futile.

See here: Autocom web site
Expand the item in the chart called: Bluetooth Adaptable

Engineered to be expanded in the future with optional Bluetooth phone and headset modules (in development).
So they do have some modules already for pairing to devices (like phones, etc.) but not the headsets yet. That's the part I want to see...

I hope they're not expecting us to sell our current Audio Control Unit to go BT. Hopefully they'll develop a plug-n-play addon for their existing customers.

Nevertheless, as stated above; they have some tremendous obstacles to overcome.

btw ~ thanks for the link :D

But, as stated above; they have some tremendous obstacles to overcome.
I'm assuming that you mean the "obstacles" presented by Jeff A:

But: No rose without a thorn. Your wireless freedom comes with a price:􀂄 You have to recharge the batteries - our wire-bound systems are always immediately

􀂄 The send/receive unit is always on air and built into the helmet, very close to your

far away from your head.

􀂄 Additional weight in helmet

􀂄 Incompatibility of accessories to connect, because of no consistent Blue Tooth standards.

􀂄 Possible loss of important information as only one signal at a time is being transmitted

􀂄 Significantly less volume and sound quality compared to our wire-bound systems.

Almost all of these are only a problem with BT headsets if the headset device is combined with an RF device to perform the bike to bike and/or the design is such that the BT headset is expected to "pair" uniquely with each of the peripheral devices.

Suppose that the only wireless connection(s) was between your headset and the Autocom (and between your passenger's headset and the autocom). That would reduce the power requirement greatly (think of the tiny BT headphones for cell phone use), would reduce the weight, there would be no requirement for any BT standard, and there would be no added loss of information (signals would be combined and send via the BT link just like they are combined and sent via the copper wires now).

This really doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to implement. In fact, the wireless link between the headset(s) and the Autocom does not really even need to be bluetooth. It could be any full-duplex wireless full-time RF protocol.

Volume and sound quality is purely a function of the headset design.

But, as stated above; they have some tremendous obstacles to overcome.
I'm assuming that you mean the "obstacles" presented by Jeff A:

far away from your head.

Almost all of these are only a problem with BT headsets if the headset device is combined with an RF device to perform the bike to bike and/or the design is such that the BT headset is expected to "pair" uniquely with each of the peripheral devices.

Suppose that the only wireless connection(s) was between your headset and the Autocom (and between your passenger's headset and the autocom). That would reduce the power requirement greatly (think of the tiny BT headphones for cell phone use), would reduce the weight, there would be no requirement for any BT standard, and there would be no added loss of information (signals would be combined and send via the BT link just like they are combined and sent via the copper wires now).

This really doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to implement. In fact, the wireless link between the headset(s) and the Autocom does not really even need to be bluetooth. It could be any full-duplex wireless full-time RF protocol.

I think Baehr makes such a system. It's called Blue Tronic Motobox Solo. Go to page 23 on this site.Don't know how much or if it's avalible in US.

A.C.

My thoughts exactly. Forget trying to Bluetooth everything to everything. Let me wire everything to the BT module and then pair that to my helmet headset.

My thoughts exactly. Forget trying to Bluetooth everything to everything. Let me wire everything to the BT module and then pair that to my helmet headset.

Precisely what I was trying say...I think :blink:

Put in a call to Autocom to see where they are regarding wireless helmet to Audio Control Unit. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from them.

Put in a call to Autocom to see where they are regarding wireless helmet to Audio Control Unit. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from them.
I called them a year ago with the exact same question. They said they were working on it. :glare:

For those of you with wired intercoms looking for a wireless "last mile" solution to connect the helmets to the system, there's one on the market:

Intaride makes the Liberty Wireless module that will connect to their brand of intercoms as well as others (they have cables for Autocoms and Starcoms). It's a transmitter dongle that connects to your intercom's outputs, along with a smallish - 'bout the size of a rubber eraser - receiver module that sticks to the helmet. Comes with two receivers and two headsets plus the dongle for $469 US, $499 with the Autocom cable, $509 with the Starcom cable, from the US/Canadian distributor.

PS, the websites absolutely suck, have fun looking around them.

I was excited about this thing for a while until they released their prices. By the time you buy an intercom ($250-500) plus pay the ridiculous costs for accessory cables for your GPS/bluetooth dongle/whatever ($40-150) and then tack on the Liberty module and adapter cable ($499), the Collett and other Bluetooth headsets start looking a lot better, faults or not.

So, we are all agreeing that the best scenario is wireless from the helmet to a central "hub" that accepts and processes signals from multiple sources. We are simply looking to cut the cord between helmet and Autocom/Starcom module.

The Baehr comments above sound like a cover-up for poor engineering or an attempt by marketing to down-talk the direction the company is not headed (despite this Blue Tronic thing that seems very concept, not orderable):

1. Charge the batteries. Well no shit. With the right size battery, and BT 2.0 technology, the battery could be a 2 - 3 Ah LiPo pack that would be very light and have good life. Frig, even if you run the damn battery down, provide a powerlet or cig adapter so you could charge on the fly!

2. Not sure what they mean about transmitting next to your head. This is a problem why?

3. Additional weight. I would say not much. And build it so it would mount to the BACK of the helmet so one of your shoulders doesn't get pumped like Ahnold.

4. No BT standard? What type of hash are they smoking and not sharing?? Helooooo? BT is a standard. And don't say there is not a good protocol to use. HSF and A2DP would be fine, considering they can both work simultaneously.

5. Possible loss of important information. Huh? Have the central unit process the priorities and normalize the volume of all the sources. Then, incorporate a volume control on the headset. One fat knob to turn on and off and manage the volume is cool with me.

6. Less volume and sound quality. Volume I can believe, but not quality. My stereo BT headphones (Motorola S9) rock the house. Once you go wireless, you never go back.

You know, come to think of it, the helmet <-> unit communication need not be BT. I personally could give a rats ass what standard, frequency, and power the link is, as long as it works. If BT is no good, fine, go with some other digital standard, just help us cut the cord and stop looking like jackasses when we try to dismount while still attached!

BTW, you see the FJR seat on the next page!?! Looks NICE!

-BD

BrunDog, I agree with you re: Baehr's FUD (Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt) comments regarding Bluetooth. They do have a couple of valid points but they're also throwing some scare tactics in there, i.e. "putting a transmitter next to your head = brain cancer!!!"

You addressed their other complaints, but my inner audio nerd has a quibble regarding the quality comment: Bluetooth headsets will never provide the same quality you can get from a good pair of wired headphones (I'm talking headphones designed for listening to music, not ones that designed to install in your helmet).

That said, they can provide quality good enough that when road/wind noise are taken into effect you'd never notice the difference 99% of the time. I have a couple sets of Bluetooth stereo headphones/headsets, and the quality they provide is just fine for use on the bike, especially if you use a model that allows you to plug in your own earbuds/phones like the Jabra BT3030. I would not use them for just sitting around the house listening to tunes, but I'm a wonk about that sort of thing.

The established intercom manufacturers have been late to market with their Bluetooth adapters, and what they are selling has very limited functionality and is still overpriced even if you take into account the lower # of units they're selling due to the limited market. If they don't get on the ball and get a decent wireless solution in place, even if it's just wireless to the helmet, companies like Cardo and Collett are going to eat their lunch when they finally produce a system that addresses the complaints about their current offerings. There's no way I'm going to spend $700+ to be wired to the bike when I could conceivably spend half that or less for a wireless system, even if I have to take a small hit on audio quality or charge a battery at the end of a ride.

Latest posts