Bluetooth Headphones?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalaxyBlue

Reaction score
I was searching for a bluetooth headset to work with the Garmin 2820, And i came across These

Does anyone think that this will work inside a helmet AND with the 2820 AND cell phones?

If not, What are some options?

I was searching for a bluetooth headset to work with the Garmin 2820, And i came across TheseDoes anyone think that this will work inside a helmet AND with the 2820 AND cell phones?

From Garmin:

The StreetPilot 2820 integrates wireless technology with a microphone and speaker that lets you make hands-free calls on a compatible Bluetooth phone. Motorcyclists can connect a Bluetooth-enabled headset or helmet* simultaneously with a Bluetooth phone to the StreetPilot 2820 to talk hands-free on the road or receive wireless navigation audio prompts to their destination.
Cool, huh? I think it will work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool indeed!

Now i need to find the best price and place to buy the 2820... And not get raped! :unsure:

I see them going for $600-$1000. THe Garmin Warranty thing makes me a bit of a skeptic

I was searching for a bluetooth headset to work with the Garmin 2820, And i came across TheseDoes anyone think that this will work inside a helmet AND with the 2820 AND cell phones?

I have the Tom Tom rider, it is Bluetooth and work with my RAZR cell phone from Motorola.

Tom Tom supply one speaker with the kit. Can not ear it when i am over 120 km per hour.

I installed the speaker in my Shoei RF-1000 helmet.

But under 120, does a great job, now want to add stereo music and I do not know what to do. :unsure:

Just got back from testing out the Cardo Teamset headphones/intercom.

https://tinyurl.com/y8wakh

Paired with my Zumo, and phone, I can hear calls, instructions, and MP3 music fine at all speeds. The intercom however, not as well. My wife can hear me all speeds, but sometimes I can't hear her unless going under 60mph...part of the problem seems her voice is faint to start with, and her microphone kept dropping out of her helmet. At one point we had no problems hearing each other at 85 mph, so am guessing with a bit of tweaking (and getting her to talk LOUDLY) the whole set-up should work fine.

The Teanset comes with duel speakers per headset, so you have a better chance of hearing to start with. Although the MP3's do play through the set falrly well, the signal is not true stereo.

The phone and voice instructions are clear as a bell. The regualar Scala Rider has gotten good reviews, so if you have no passenger, that would be the way to go...

Unless you wanted the FM radio option. but both of these only have one speaker. The Teamset does not require the passengers unit to be on to work, so although more pricey, you can at least get the extra speaker even if you have no plans for a passenger.

KM

Looks pretty nifty - googled a bit to answer a couple questions -

Q. What about full-face helmets? None are shown in the pictures on the page in-law linked to in his post

Company website and at least one review say that it will fit a full-face helmet

Q. What about stereo

Not stereo yet, but someone on the Beemer forum says he was told by the company to watch for future product announcements (4th post down)

Sounds like a winner, once the stereo comes out :D

Does anyone know of any other sets with similar features?

I plug everything into a mix-it2 and then output the amp into a GlobalSat Bluetooth xmitter (stereo) and receive into their BTH unit. I can use my Etymotic ear xducers for pretty good sound. I am not hooked to the bike with any wires (I likey). I'm working on using an external power source for them though to extend life from 5 hours. Using an Ipod gen 1 battery should get usage up over 30 hours or so before recharge. I have not paired with a phone at the same time, or even used the mic function. Here's a review of the GlobalSat units. I Don't think they make them anymore.

Blutooth Xmtr/Rcvr

Jim

Cool indeed!
Now i need to find the best price and place to buy the 2820... And not get raped! :unsure:

I see them going for $600-$1000. THe Garmin Warranty thing makes me a bit of a skeptic
I just bought one two weeks ago from these guys. I paid $654 +$24 for the motorcycle mount + next day ship = $728 tot. I registered with garmin, got the unlock code and updates no problem. They look like the have gone up $30 in the last few weeks though.

Warning. I did find a few sites cheaper (all ended up being the same company) with a $30-40 price diff. But I checked into these companies with the BBB and they had lots o bad service and complaints. Even blogs on them. Just for kicks I was calling them to see if their unit was a refirb and they hung up on me.

The bluetooth is not all I had hoped it would be. It gives great voice command and the audio books would prob do well. but the MP3 BT, for lack of a better word, sucks. I have the Scala Rider and it works great for phone. I also have the Scala 700 BT headset and the Motorola H700 BT headset. The voice is great in all 3 headsets, but I don't know if the 2820 does not broadcast MP3 well, or if the speakers in the receives are not made for music. I had hopes just like you for the no wires thing, but I am still gonna use ear speakers, until something better comes along.

I would be interested if you bought the heaphones you listed, in a review. But they look pretty thick for inside a helmet.

Looks pretty nifty - googled a bit to answer a couple questions -
Q. What about full-face helmets? None are shown in the pictures on the page in-law linked to in his post

Company website and at least one review say that it will fit a full-face helmet

Q. What about stereo

Not stereo yet, but someone on the Beemer forum says he was told by the company to watch for future product announcements (4th post down)

Sounds like a winner, once the stereo comes out :D

Does anyone know of any other sets with similar features?

I also heard Chatterbox will be coming out with a Stereo BT headset. I must point out here, that even if you have a true stereo Bluetooth headset, there is nothing I have read that says the signal coming out of either of the Garmins is 'broadcast' in stereo. You would need a device that sends out a stereo signal ,with stereo inputs wired to it. The line out on the Zumo is a stereo out,, and your MP3's and XM are stereo coming out of that. The Bluetooth signal that carries voice commmands, telephone, and also plays the MP3's is NOT stereo.

KM

Cool indeed!

I still don't get this entire "Garmin warranty thingie"....as I've posted earlier, I bought a used 2610 off of ebay, used it for months, had the screen go bad, and Garmin sent me a RMA number, and I sent it off for replacement. No problem. Now I have the replaced unit as a "spare" since I now have the Zumo 550 mounted on my trusty FJR. Some people insist on making things more difficult than they need be ;)

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

This got my attention... It says that they are testing the J&M Bluetooth FRS... I would like that alot!Thanks for the link! :)
You did notice some products mentioned were limited to certain countries (ie Canada and Europe) didn't you?
A lot of those look MONO, too. And no jack/adapter for those of us looking to use our own in the ear headsets.

I finally gave up looking and decided to go tethered. I just ordered an Autocom, without any bluetooth (theirs is woefully not what I was looking for). Now I have to find a place to jack in where the cord isn't flailing out in the wind. At least it won't be going to the bars.

Sure enough, soon as I get the Autocom installed, you KNOW someone will finally come up with a wireless helmet headset that's right for my needs. Technology is soooooo close.

Galaxy Blue, next time me, you and Smitty go riding, we'll be going 2 way!! Wait a minute. That didn't sound right, did it?!? :blink:

A lot of those look MONO, too. And no jack/adapter for those of us looking to use our own in the ear headsets.
The new scala rider Teamset has two speakers to go in the helmet. I will be eyeing that one!

Edit**** I just got off the phone with Cardo and they said the teamset is still mono, even though it has 2 speakers. I orderd the two speaker set to go with my rider (1 speaker) to test it out any way. only $25 if you already have the Rider.*****

Since I have been asked or seen this question asked a few times I wrote cardio systems and here is their reply.

> question:

> Can the Scala Rider (not teamset) be paired with another Scala Rider

> (not teamset) to have intercom abilities? Could it be paired directly

> or through a third party device IE phone or GPS etc?

Thank you for contacting the Cardo Systems Support Center regarding our

products. The Cardo team takes great pride in maintaining a "working"

relationship with many of our customers, and a significant part of our

product design has come about as a result of our ongoing dialogue with

customers such as yourself. We therefore welcome your query and

encourage you to continue talking to us in the future.

The Scala rider cannot be paired to another Scala rider or third party

device to function as an intercom set.

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist with any other questions.

Ph: 1-800-488-0363 Ext 1, Fax: 412-788-0270

E-mail: [email protected]

Online Store: https://www.cardowireless.com/buy/storeframe.php

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist with any other questions.

Best regards,

Cardo Systems Support

1-800-488-0363

You did notice some products mentioned were limited to certain countries (ie Canada and Europe) didn't you?
Hmm, i missed that... Damn technology! :angry2: And certain availability in other countries, And not ours.. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: Oh Matt, You kinky guy! I am afraid i will have to pass on the "going 2way", But will communicate via 2way if the techno geeks get their collective asses busy and make my damn headset like i want! :p

Galaxy Blue, next time me, you and Smitty go riding, we'll be going 2 way!! Wait a minute. That didn't sound right, did it?!? :blink:

"Can the Scala Rider (not teamset) be paired with another Scala Rider ?..............."

You can however simply use another phone. I was going to get two Scala Riders, and give one to my wife to use with her phone. As we have a "family plan" with our cells, it costs nothing to talk to one another. This would have made a fairly nice intercom system, but alas, her phone was not bluetooth capable.

I saw the Teamset advertised at Cardos site, and we are using this instead. As mentioned, the duel speakers are not true stereo, but do make hearing alot easier. The intercom works fairly well, but audio quality is not as good as the units sound via the zumo or cell phone. My wife can hear me fine , but I have on and off problems hearing her. Not faulting the unit yet, as she tends to talk softly, and keeps here visor cracked open a bit. I plan on testing it later, but for now , the system works just fine for what I need it for.

KM