Bluetooth headset?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FLHX I use ear buds no issues at all just do it man you won't regret it. Just get the adaptor for the ear buds and be done with it. I have a mate who uses ear protectors (Plug) and uses the speakers and fins if ok...I like the ear buds better with the adaptor. Personal choice.

Can you explain adapters? Never heard of that
This:

smh10_acc_3_m.jpg

or this:

smh10_acc_4_m.jpg

I use the latter one. Couldn't be happier with it. I have no experience with the G4, but when I bought the Sena the G4 was about $100 more expensive, didn't have a way to use earbuds with it, looked a lot more difficult to use(Sena only has 2 buttons, and they are big and easy to find with gloves on) and the only advantage the G4 had was FM radio, which for me I could care less about. Between the Zumo with XM, and my iPhone with MP3's and Pandora, I never run out of things to listen to.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would really be nice, would be to have all these different Bluetooth headsets talking to each other. That way you don't have to have the same unit as your ride buddy. If I understand correctly Sena only talks to Sena, Scala only talks to Scala, Chatterbox only talks to Chatterbox ect.

I have a Starcom Digital installed on the bike. I also have the new Bluetooth dongle from Starcom. I have a Sena comming in the mail next week. Starcom says it's going to work together.

My plan is to couple my iPhone, iPad (mounted between the handlebars), Kenwood 3130 GMRS 2 way radio (and/or Midland CB) with the Starcom. The Sena will be the wireless connection to it all.

We shall see.

Brodie

I was thinking of getting the SMH10 for my Nolan N-103 but am concerned about the wind noise. I have a great pair of ear buds that double as earplugs and was wondering with speakers installed in helmet can you hear music over the wind noise with any type of quality?
I use the NCOM speakers in my N103 every time I ride. They work great with music or talking on the phone... Definitely better with the shield raised a bit, though...

I totally enjoy my Scala Q2 set up with the zumo 550.

Voice directions from zumo are very clear, phone conversations are crystal clear, much

better than any car bluetooth I have owned, and callers agree...They have to ask where I am, and when

I answer riding the bike, they are surprised!

Of course I had touch pro II and now the HTC sensation...all plays well together.

Scala radio is very strong and clear in the speakers.

cons...poor sound coming from zumo mp3 player, poor sound from the mp3 which plugs directly

into the scalaQ2. Bought a ipod classic, same result....wanted to try boosteroo but haven't.

Did get earbuds for ipod and now sounds are terrific, and I still can hear the scala headphones

if a call comes through. Just touch pause on ipod and continue on.

When communicating with wife on her scalaQ2, I can converse directions

even with music still playing...never thought I could do that, but

it does work...of course, I can pause the music if need be.

The Sena SMH10 has been wonderful. Paired with a Droid X we just finished a 1700 mile ride, 2-up and they worked great.

It ran my GPS, Pandora internet, phone calls and intercom seamlessly. I use it mostly for the 60 mile daily commute and it's not uncommon for me to have a call come in from work and I have had entire con calls with that thing and no one could tell I was on it.

And, with Voice commands on the droid, you never really need to touch the phone to make calls, although the Droid kinda sucks at voice recognition so after dropping a name it will often come back with 5 or 6 "Do you want to call XXXXX?" "Yes or No"

We went to Indy a few weeks ago on seperate bikes and I didnt measure the working distance however the communication was clear at all times and we were pretty seperated at times.

Battery life has proven good too as we went pounded out almost 700 straight miles in an effort to get home during TS Lee. 11+ hrs on the bike and it was still going strong, while the phones had to be juiced up on the go.

I have the Scala G4 and did the earbud mod. I use ER6i noise isolation earbuds with the G4. It pairs with my Iphone well. A couple of companies make RF remotes for the Iphone. The waterproof remote goes on the bars and the Iphone in the tank bag. If the weather is good the Iphone just goes on the handlebars.

I really like this combo.

I am looking to buy a blue tooth headset to pair to my Iphone 4 while I ride. I would like to listen to music and be able to answer the phone while I'm riding. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one is good. I don't really need to intercom with anyone, but wouldn't mind having one just I need one in the future.
The ones mentioned here in this thread all seem to have good features but i have yet to see one that will interface with a CB radio setup. Unfortunate...

I have the Sena SMH10 dual pack. Wife uses second unit as a passenger. Works great. A friend bought a setup for when we are out dualsporting. Nice being able to communicate on the trails. But .5 of a mile depending on terrain is about it. No wires, awesome. Rocket Moto had a group buy add on ADVRIDER, best price I could find.
Looks like the group buy is still going on over there on ADVRIDER! I'm looking at picking up a dual set.

I was thinking of getting the SMH10 for my Nolan N-103 but am concerned about the wind noise. I have a great pair of ear buds that double as earplugs and was wondering with speakers installed in helmet can you hear music over the wind noise with any type of quality?
I have the same helmet and purposely did not order the optional Ncom bluetooth system because the volume was way too low for me. I tried one at the motorcycle show and it was barely adequate while in the convention center and the volume set to max. No way it would work going down the road.

So I got the Sena SMH-10 dual pack and love it. I pair it with my Zumo 660 and my wife on her bike. I wear yellow foam earplugs and can still hear the music playing while going 70mph on the freeway with the windshield down. And the communicator works great with the wife even when we've been seperated by 1/4 mile. And what is really nice is having just one big knob to deal with for volume or initiating intercom when wearing gloves.

What would really be nice, would be to have all these different Bluetooth headsets talking to each other. That way you don't have to have the same unit as your ride buddy. If I understand correctly Sena only talks to Sena, Scala only talks to Scala, Chatterbox only talks to Chatterbox ect.

I have a Starcom Digital installed on the bike. I also have the new Bluetooth dongle from Starcom. I have a Sena comming in the mail next week. Starcom says it's going to work together.

My plan is to couple my iPhone, iPad (mounted between the handlebars), Kenwood 3130 GMRS 2 way radio (and/or Midland CB) with the Starcom. The Sena will be the wireless connection to it all.

We shall see.

Brodie
Brodie,

You can put your Starcom on a selling block. Sena is coming out with a device that will allow you to plug 3 non BT devices i.e. Radar, your Kenwood radio and what not and will send it all to your Sena SMH10 unit via BT.

This unit will be ready to ship in a week or so.

sr10_pairing.jpg

With all the positive comments about the Sena, I'm going to be the party-pooper. My experience with

the SMH10 has been negative from the beginning. Paired with the Tomtom Rider, the voice instructions

are distorted, even after doing a factory reset, and reducing the volume from the GPS to minimum.

This I could live with,but on my last holiday with my wife, the intercom didn't work well; I could hear

her but she couldn't hear me,her unit switched on by itself,letting me hear a lot of wind noise. This is

after a factory reset. I sent an e-mail to [email protected] on 10 September, and I'm still

waiting for a reply. I bought the Sena from British Motorcycle Gear in California, because the price was

right.So far it's the only thing right.

that is really surprising. Their customer service is TOP of the notch, really. Have you updated software on your unit? Have you been able to contact BMG, place that sold it to you?

If all fails, PM me your info and I will make sure that someone from Sena will get a hold of you.

No,I haven't updated the firmware. I got the units in March and they were probably the last of the non-updatable

units. I contacted Sena before BMG because I thought they would respond sooner. The next step will be to contact BMG.

Thanks for the offer of help. I may be back to you.

No,I haven't updated the firmware. I got the units in March and they were probably the last of the non-updatable

units. I contacted Sena before BMG because I thought they would respond sooner. The next step will be to contact BMG.

Thanks for the offer of help. I may be back to you.
Well, yes. if you got your unit in March, then you are not able to update software. Which is even more surprising that you are having a problem as I haven' heard older units having those problems.

At this point it is probably pointless to contacting BMG, unless they have a good rep with Sena. What I can tell you is Sena is working on having a ver2 update available in Europe for those of you over there. When it will come out I do not know.

What I would like to see you try is find another BT headset. regular cell phone head set should work and see if you still have issue with instructions coming to it from your GPS.

I got a reply from Dan Kim of Sena. He suggested trying the second unit paired with the Tomtom to see if the

distortion remained. It's still there,but if I keep the volume low,there's no distortion. With this information

he advised me to contact the reseller. I'd prefer to do this in Europe to save on shipping and possible import

duties. As I wrote before,the main problem for me is the intercomm problem, which made the units unusable during

our trip to Spain.

Thanks for your interest.

:biggrinsmiley: :D Update on the SMH10

You all may remember my problems with the dual pack. Sena have replaced the units,and even though I bought

the dual pack in the US,and I live in Italy, Sena could not have been more helpful. I sent the units to

South Korea,and they sent me the replacement at their expense,without any disputes or arguments. This is

excellent customer service!

Thanks also to Cougar for his help and interest.