Bluetooth Helmet Headset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Motorola is cell phone only, correct? No rider-to-rider connectivity? Personally, I don't want to connect through the phone, but direct to passenger & other riders.

If you haven't read it yet, this is a decent article:WebBikeWorld Bluetooth reviews They mention the Moto unit.

I use the Scala and I'm waiting on the Q2 version. I use it with ear plugs and I am able to hear it at any speed. My wife and others can not tell whether I'm on the bike or in the truck when talking on it.

I wouldn't buy anything that is not Stereo BT.

There are a few, but I'll bet a bunch more on on the immediate horizon. Once Zumo adds A2DP, it'll be a whole new game.

-BD

I wouldn't buy anything that is not Stereo BT.
There are a few, but I'll bet a bunch more on on the immediate horizon. Once Zumo adds A2DP, it'll be a whole new game.

-BD
With the correct adapter you can make just about anything stereo BT as long as you use stereo headset. Read this post.

If your talking about new headsets on horizon I agree. This is why I'm waiting till spring.

A.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Motorola units on my helmets. I have 2 Nolan n102's for my wife and I (pre N-COM). The headsets work well at lower speeds but i found that the single speaker combined with wind noise makes it nearly impossible to hear at highway speeds. There is a volume control on each unit, but not enough amplification. They may work better with a quieter helmet.

The Bluetooth works great for the phone ( again, with the speed limitations) but I haven't found a way to easily switch from intercom to telephone while moving.

There are probably better choices for around the same money. I plan on going to the Starcom Digital this spring when I add a Zumo 550. The wires will be inconvienient but hopefully better sound plus stereo. :headphone: :headphone:

I use an autocom. I love it...

I dont like the wires at all but until they get it right (I am actually cheering everyone!! on) I aint givinem my dough. I have 6 billion blutooth thingies and I dont use a single one of them cuz they all suck IMHO

All I can say is that I've used my Cardo on my R1 and the FJR at speeds over 70. The other end of the conversation has never had a problem with noise or comprehension (and I've asked). Folks find it amazing you can carry on a phone call from a two wheeler at 70.

All I can say is that I've used my Cardo on my R1 and the FJR at speeds over 70. The other end of the conversation has never had a problem with noise or comprehension (and I've asked). Folks find it amazing you can carry on a phone call from a two wheeler at 70.
The phone sounds fine on the other end with the HS830. The problem is hearing the other person through the headset. If you have a tall windshield or a quieter helmet it would probably be acceptable.

One of the other issues I have is that it can be difficult to tell whether the units are on, off, or in standby. If you are getting a really good deal they will do the job.

If you haven't read it yet, this is a decent article:WebBikeWorld Bluetooth reviews They mention the Moto unit.

I followed your link to that article and read it all. While I have to agree that Bluetooth technology still isn't all it could be, I definately don't find it to be as bad as the author portrays it. If you have to pair two components everytime you want to use them, I think you're doing it wrong. I bought Bluetooth headsets for the wife, the kid, and myself for the holidays (they were on sale soooooo cheap), since we all have bluetooth phones now. I paired them all on the first try (wife couldn't do it) and have never had to do it since. I also bought a USB bluetooth "dongle" for my PC and my phone found it right away and always does ever since. I'm going to have to say that the writer isn't as tech savvy as he professes himself, and his expectations are in fact too high. For that reason, I consider his write-up to be (unfortunately) pretty useless. I've contemplated upgrading my GMRS Chatterbox to the Bluetooth version, but it's just not that high on my priority list right now.

I'm going to have to say that the writer isn't as tech savvy as he professes himself, and his expectations are in fact too high. For that reason, I consider his write-up to be (unfortunately) pretty useless. I've contemplated upgrading my GMRS Chatterbox to the Bluetooth version, but it's just not that high on my priority list right now.
I think your comment is pretty much spot on - the guy writing the Bluetooth reviews at WBW does seem to have an inflated opinion of his technical abilities. That said, he's right in that the solutions out there for wireless headsets still suck across the board. There's no one that makes a Bluetooth 2.0 headset (capable of pairing with multiple devices simultaneously, provides stereo output) that works the way you'd think. For instance, the Collett headset linked earlier in the thread can pair with multiple devices and it passes stereo audio from compatible Bluetooth devices with A2DP profiles - but if you want to use it as an intercom your passenger has to plug a wire into the back of your headset. J&M's offering has the same issue, and it's also ridiculously expensive. Other bluetooth headsets allow wireless communications with your passenger, but they can't pair with multiple devices simultaneously or provide crappy audio quality, etc.

Here's what I want, and what I think most other riders want, out of a Bluetooth comms setup:

1) Wireless rider-to-passenger communications w/ good audio and VOX quality

2) Stereo audio (A2DP) for music, turn-by-turn directions from GPS, etc.

3) 4+ more hours of constant use/talk time, preferably 8+, and a battery that's easily changed

4) Pairing with 6+ devices simultaneously - I want to be able to pair with my passenger's headset, a cell phone, a GPS, a bluetooth-enabled GMRS radio, an audio player of some sort, and possibly a couple of other devices ONCE and not have to go out of my way to re-pair or mash buttons to switch inputs while I'm riding

5) Reasonable cost

The technology is there for manufacturers to supply a product that meets all of those requirements, but no one's done it yet. Until they do I'm content riding with no music and having my wife tap the top of my helmet when she needs a restroom break, b/c I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the better part of four figures the intercom manufacturers want so I can string a bunch of wires all over my bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm going to have to say that the writer isn't as tech savvy as he professes himself, and his expectations are in fact too high. For that reason, I consider his write-up to be (unfortunately) pretty useless. I've contemplated upgrading my GMRS Chatterbox to the Bluetooth version, but it's just not that high on my priority list right now.
I think your comment is pretty much spot on - the guy writing the Bluetooth reviews at WBW does seem to have an inflated opinion of his technical abilities. That said, he's right in that the solutions out there for wireless headsets still suck across the board. There's no one that makes a Bluetooth 2.0 headset (capable of pairing with multiple devices simultaneously, provides stereo output) that works the way you'd think. For instance, the Collett headset linked earlier in the thread can pair with multiple devices and it passes stereo audio from compatible Bluetooth devices with A2DP profiles - but if you want to use it as an intercom your passenger has to plug a wire into the back of your headset. J&M's offering has the same issue, and it's also ridiculously expensive. Other bluetooth headsets allow wireless communications with your passenger, but they can't pair with multiple devices simultaneously or provide crappy audio quality, etc.

Here's what I want, and what I think most other riders want, out of a Bluetooth comms setup:

1) Wireless rider-to-passenger communications w/ good audio and VOX quality

2) Stereo audio (A2DP) for music, turn-by-turn directions from GPS, etc.

3) 4+ more hours of constant use/talk time, preferably 8+, and a battery that's easily changed

4) Pairing with 6+ devices simultaneously - I want to be able to pair with my passenger's headset, a cell phone, a GPS, a bluetooth-enabled GMRS radio, an audio player of some sort, and possibly a couple of other devices ONCE and not have to go out of my way to re-pair or mash buttons to switch inputs while I'm riding

5) Reasonable cost

The technology is there for manufacturers to supply a product that meets all of those requirements, but no one's done it yet. Until they do I'm content riding with no music and having my wife tap the top of my helmet when she needs a restroom break, b/c I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the better part of four figures the intercom manufacturers want so I can string a bunch of wires all over my bike.
Jazzzzz

I totaly agree with you. If nothing changes by spring I'm going to try the Collett because of the bang for the buck. Between the BT stereo headsets out there I think the Collett offers the most for the best price. Personally I don't mind having a wire from rider to pillion (when I have pillion) as much as I would mind having a wire from bike to rider all the time. But I agree and also want totally wireless & multiple pairing.

A.C.