Bluetooth Helmet Headset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an autocom. I love it...
I dont like the wires at all but until they get it right (I am actually cheering everyone!! on) I aint givinem my dough. I have 6 billion blutooth thingies and I dont use a single one of them cuz they all suck IMHO
My client's bluetooth keyboard stops working when he puts his iPhone near it.

I use the Motorola BT headset along with an iPhone and a Scorpion 700 helmet but I probably use it differently than most others who use a cell phone while riding. I don't want or need the distraction so when it rings I pull over to a safe area at the side of the road and talk. No wind noise, no problem hearing and the person on the other side (usually it's 'She who must be obeyed') can hear me clearly too.

my $.02

Rufus T

I've been shopping BT comm's units for a couple of months now and I'm currently in wait mode on J&M. They've got their 2nd gen unit coming out that will reportedly do multi-pairing (it already features stereo and AD2P) to allow rider to rider or rider to passenger BT.

Otherwise the most feature packed unit that works seems to be the Collet. But I don't know how useful a snow groomer beacon warning is on a bike... then again, it IS snowing again up here.

I'm torn between the Interphone (wireless bike-to-bike or bike-to-passenger) is attractive, but no stereo and the J&M Unit (which is corded to the passenger and no bike-to-bike). Still have at least 2 more months of the great white up here to see how things play out.

I agree with much of the commentary here and have been patiently waiting for a great BT unit that has A2DP (stereo) for music.

I personally do NOT care about passenger to passenger, but I do care about bike to bike. I currently have an Autocomm Active 7 that works flawlessly. It always has, and it plugs into my 2 way FRS/GMRS radio for bike to bike communications. The only benefit to going BT is to cut the cord, which personally is not that big of a deal, but I still would like to. I also realize that BT technology can be moody - some times it links, sometimes not, and sometimes the link drops for no reason at all. PITA!

My question is: where is the Bluetooth 2-way radio (FRS/GMRS) that everyone keeps mentioning? I googled it and had no luck. Anybody know of any that actually exist for purchase?

-BD

My question is: where is the Bluetooth 2-way radio (FRS/GMRS) that everyone keeps mentioning? I googled it and had no luck. Anybody know of any that actually exist for purchase?
The only one I've heard of is the Midland 445BT, which is only available in the UK and Europe as far as I can tell. Hopefully they'll have something similar available on this side of the pond within the year.

Chatterbox just released a Bluetooth-enabled model that uses GMRS for bike-to-bike, the GMRS X1. Doesn't do a hell of a lot for those of us looking to tie a GMRS radio into a separate comms system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a pair of BlueAnt Interphone sets that I've used chiefly for its passenger intercom feature. The audio (mono) works okay, but my main gripe is that the battery life is too short. It peters out after only 5 hours, which leaves you with no intercom for the last half of the day.

Contrast this with the little bluetooth headset device that came with my TomTom Rider. It would go about 10 hours on a charge. So maintaining a full-time intercom channel is a much bigger drain than an intermittent connect that only announces GPS voice cues.

IMHO, bluetooth will truly come of age only as battery technology improves.

I've been shopping BT comm's units for a couple of months now and I'm currently in wait mode on J&M. They've got their 2nd gen unit coming out that will reportedly do multi-pairing (it already features stereo and AD2P) to allow rider to rider or rider to passenger BT.
Otherwise the most feature packed unit that works seems to be the Collet. But I don't know how useful a snow groomer beacon warning is on a bike... then again, it IS snowing again up here.

I'm torn between the Interphone (wireless bike-to-bike or bike-to-passenger) is attractive, but no stereo and the J&M Unit (which is corded to the passenger and no bike-to-bike). Still have at least 2 more months of the great white up here to see how things play out.
First of all I must say I have nothing to do with Collett or any other I'm just comparing.

I don't know about rider to rider using BT because of limited distance. The best I've seen is 1600 feet. The Collett uses 900 MHz which they claim will go 2 miles (without the BT issues) and no extra radio. How far does the GMRS radios go ? Also @ 900 MHz there is not as much other stuff bleeding in like on other radios, it's cleaner communication. The Collett is also a stereo headset.

The groomer warning wouldn't help or hurt. That shows you the range of the Collett and the ability to comm with others. What is nice about Collett is it has 3 channels. Channel 1 is like a public channel, it comms with any other Collett headset within 2 miles and this channel has the groomer warning. Channel 2 is like a semi private channel. This one is for a custom frequency so certain groups can comm privately, or it can be another public channel. Channel 3 is private. This one is for private rider to passenger comm, and when you get a phone call the headset automatically goes to this channel so you have a private conversation.

From what I see the Collett does the most.

Collett PROS:

*Stereo BT music.

*Rider to rider comm with like headsets for up to 2 miles, on 2 channels.(don't need another radio)

*Rider to pass comm on private channel, and private phone conversation.

*Cleaner airways because of 900 MHz.

*No BT issues with rider to pass comm because of wired connection.

*Will pair to GPS & phone.

*No wires to bike.

*10-12 hours talk time (has a better belt mounted battery)

*3 year warranty

*Rider & pass headset for $370.00

Collett CONS:

*Wire between rider & pass

*Will only pair to 2 BT items.

*Will only comm with other Collette's.

*Belt mounted battery

How much are you going to spend for 2 different headsets and FRS radio? Then you have a PTT button to comm. and another radio to install.

I think the problem with the Collett is that it will only comm with other Colletts. Although for 370.00 to do it all we may save money. In the snowmobile world these are very common so it's a no brainer, you by a Collett, have the #2 channel set to your club frequency and now you can comm to anyone in your club and any other rider on channel 1. I think if a lot of bike riders had them it would also be a no brainer.

As you can see I'm leaning toward the Collet, but I'm trying to get my friends to get them also so we can comm.

just my $.02

A.C.

Roadrunner,

I agree with you on the choice of the Collett. It's a good, proven unit. However, it just looks clunky (nevermind that is truly water resistant). I'm still leaning toward the J&M however as I've used their equipment on a friends Wing. VERY good quality and sound.

Of course, you've hit the nail on the head with the compatibility issues. Around these parts, CB is the defacto standard. So if you want to get to talking, thats the way to go. Personally, the most important features for me are rider-passenger and rider-rider. I don't care to much about yacking on the cell. Though AD2P with tunes on my phone is attractive.

<sigh>

I'll echo the sentiments of wBW, the market truly needs a do it all unit that won't break the bank. I would think the market is certianly big enough to warrant the R&D time.

-Steve

Steve

I agree with all you said especially the compatibility issue. That is why I have not bought a set yet. I'm really on the fence between Collett & J&M. I'm only leaning toward Collett because I don't want to buy & install another radio and PTT button. But if no one else buys a Collett I may have to go with J&M & another radio.

Art

Art,

So were in the same boat. I'll wait till March/April for J&M to unleash their new unit and see what its capable of. Otherwise I'll make a decision on something else that I probably won't be entirely happy with. The J&M stuff is pricey though. You can buy new units off of Ebay for considerably less than full retail though.

Imagine spending all this cash just to here my gf complain that her ass is sore. > :)

I sold my Colletts because of the separate battery pack. Here we are talking about trying to eliminate wires, why buy a setup with a belt-clip battery pack??

I saw in the new issue of Motorcyclist that Chatterbox is coming out with a new system called the XBi. According to their website, it will be released this spring. No other info on the website. But in the M/C ad, it says "Wireless full duplex intercom, Bluetooth cell phone (HFP, HSP), Stereo Bluetooth audio (A2DP, AVRCP)". It's positively [SIZE=8pt]tiny[/SIZE]! The only part that worries me is the Li-Po battery. I think that technology has even further to go than Bluetooth, and I'm not keen on having a little hand grenade on the side of my helmet. It sure looks interesting though. It may not address the issue some of you have with wanting your GPS and radar detectors in the conversation though. But again, product info is pretty sparse. Did I mention it's [SIZE=8pt]tiny[/SIZE]? Looks about the size of a Hot-wheels car. I'm gonna keep my eyes on this one since I don't carry a radar detector, and don't need my GPS interrupting the music. ;)

All these new systems with added functionality are great and eventually I am sure that we will get to a unit that will be truly useful in all areas, not just 2 or 3 out of five. Personally, I already have a system that works beautifully in all areas, but has one (or two for passenger) wire too many. I am using an autocomm system with everything connected by wire, except for cell phone to Zumo 550. I think the thing that would be most useful, is a "simple" stereo bluetooth device to replace my (and my passenger's) wire between the autocomm and the helmet. It should be able to work with any installed comm system, so people don't have to replace their whole installed system. I would guess that it would be much less expensive than an all in one device that can connect to many BT devices and navigate through all the priorities, etc. Oh, and it must have a very healthy battery life, or easy battery swap. As soon as that is available, I will be the first to purchase!!!! Keep it simple! Just my 2c.

I think the thing that would be most useful, is a "simple" stereo bluetooth device to replace my (and my passenger's) wire between the autocomm and the helmet. It should be able to work with any installed comm system, so people don't have to replace their whole installed system. I would guess that it would be much less expensive than an all in one device that can connect to many BT devices and navigate through all the priorities, etc. Oh, and it must have a very healthy battery life, or easy battery swap. As soon as that is available, I will be the first to purchase!!!! Keep it simple! Just my 2c.
Intaride, based in the UK, makes a wired, bluetooth-capable intercom with an add-on wireless headset module. The transmitter for the headsets is connected to the intercom, and the receivers (look to be about the size of a "fun size" candy bar like you give out at Halloween) are stuck to the helmets with two-sided adhesive. It looks pretty slick and has gotten good reviews in the UK, but their distributor here in the US doesn't have any of the wireless modules in stock, and the whole rig will set you back almost a thousand bucks. I'm sure the fall of the dollar isn't helping the price any.

It looks like the wireless module for the helmets is a plug-and-play affair that can be ordered with leads to attach it to Autocom, Starcom, and other makes of intercoms if you already own one, which makes it much more affordable.

https://www.intaride.com/liberty%20main.html - this is the system (horrible website, be forewarned)

https://www.wirelessbiker.com is their US distributor