bluetooth testing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I have been looking for a bluetooth intercom and have decided to try the Blueant interphone. Testing cost $260

I have been using the Scala Rider ($100 Price has gone up since purchase)for several months now and have been quite happy with it, but bear in mind this test is not apples to apples. The Rider is NOT the TEAMSET - Cardo's bluetooth intercom.

The scala rider is a mono speaker and I use it to listen to music through my Garmin 2820. I do use the two speaker (there ais a one and two speaker version) version, but it is still mono, which really would not matter cause the 2820 broadcasts in mono so a stereo reciever is pointless.

As the two compare speaker wise. the interphone has the better quality speaker but it is only one speaker. The music from the garmin comes in clear. BUT, and this is a drawback for me and it may be a limitation of the Garmin, It will ony play to one interphone at a time and not at all when in intercom mode. I am under the impression that the TeamSET will play through both , but this is not confirmed.

BUELLER??

The intercom is pretty clear and have walked away from each other to about 50 feet through the walls of the house. As advertised it is supposed to be good to 490 feet for bike to bike. Small background hiss

The Rider is great for phone use on the bike. I have had conversations at 80+ and the other end had no idea I was on a bike.

I have not yet been able to pair the interphone with my Sony W300i. I have a email to their tech support to try to rectify this. Which may be a problem as MY phone is not listed on the compatability list.

I will report more when I have more to report.

I would love to find a teamset owner and swap for a while, or just compare notes

Knifemaker?

The process you are going through right now is the same one I was going to do. I would have thought there would be MANY mor ereveiws on this topic for would-be buyers. Have you been able to find any reviews of these products side by side?

The process you are going through right now is the same one I was going to do. I would have thought there would be MANY mor ereveiws on this topic for would-be buyers. Have you been able to find any reviews of these products side by side?
Yes, web bike world gives one where they give the nod to the interphone, but I searched various forums and found a lot of dissatisfied folks with the interphone.

I got a reply back from Blueant today to my pairing quary:

My Question: I am unable to pair my interphone with the phone. the phone finds the interphone (I have two, the pairing issue is with both interphones), but when it asks for the 0000 code. the pairing fails. it says incorrect code. How do I overcome this? I have succesfully paired both interphones with a Garmin 2820 (although it will only recognize 1 at a time) and with each other.

The response:Thanks for the email. When pairing the Interphone to your cell phone you have to make sure that it is not connected to any other device. Try pairing the Interphone with a different phone to see if you can duplicate the results. This way we can determine the source of the problem.

Do you think they read the thing will pair with stuff OTHER than my phone?

BTW my phone was the first thing I tried to pair it with, THEN paired with other stuff. so I GUESS I determined the source of the problem BEFORE I contacted Tech support.

And, gee, lucky for me, I just happen to have a second bluetooth phone I can try it with. :glare:

Fencer,

I am soooo interested in going 100% Bluetooth, but holding off until after the WFO trip. It has taken me too long to get most everything ironed out with the Zumo and all.

I would love to try the Interphone with my Motorola-Q phone and Zumo 550. Can we work out something that benefits us both?

Jeff

Fencer,
I am soooo interested in going 100% Bluetooth, but holding off until after the WFO trip. It has taken me too long to get most everything ironed out with the Zumo and all.

I would love to try the Interphone with my Motorola-Q phone and Zumo 550. Can we work out something that benefits us both?

Jeff
sure you can borrow the interphone and I'll try the 125 lb girlfriend for a while. I know that will benefit ME :D

sure you can borrow the interphone and I'll try the 125 lb girlfriend for a while. I know that will benefit ME :D
How about we arrange a ride together sometime very soon. I'll try pairing to the Interphone and you can try pairing to the GF. Bet MY code gets accepted. :glare: :)

I played with the interphone and Scala yest (1 on each side of the helmet). Tested with the Sony W3001 and Garmin 2820

Observations.

Voice dial. does not work on EITHER when run through the GPS.

Mounting: the nod goes to the Scala for ease of mounting and recharching. The interphone has a serial port type connection that has the potential to bend pins and more difficult to line up on a re-mount.

phone clarity: both are pretty much equal. both are great.

Speaker: both are good for voice, but for music, interphone is better. Scala offers a two speaker design interphone does not. Scala's speaker is very small an good for a tight fit helmet

The knobs on the Scala are a little easier to find with a gloved hand

I will call folks so you can hear each should you desire. PM me your #

As far as a SINGLE bluetooth device, they are both pretty much equal apart from small diffs. As far as a single/ non intercom unit goes, I would get the one you could get the best deal on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The response:Thanks for the email. When pairing the Interphone to your cell phone you have to make sure that it is not connected to any other device. Try pairing the Interphone with a different phone to see if you can duplicate the results. This way we can determine the source of the problem.
Do you think they read the thing will pair with stuff OTHER than my phone?
What they might have been referring to, is that to make sure you phone isn't paired with another bluetooth device. Many cell phones only pair with one device at a time or are very picky about pairing with more then one device. My Motorola Krzr won't pair with my laptop unless I drop the pairing with my bluetooth headse first. Yet it will pair with both my wifes headset and my own at the same time. Technology is wonderful isn't it? :rolleyes: