BMW F650 CS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsy

667 - Neighbour of the Beast
Reaction score
Hi folks,

My wife is thinking of buying a F650CS (they are not being sold for 2006 but the dealer still has some 05s around). For 2006 BMW are only offering the GS in the 650 - https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machine/mode...sp?model=f650gs

I am wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of these machines? The Mrs. wants ABS and as far as I know this is the only mid-size which offers ABS. You know of any others?

Thanks

gypsy

All the BMW 650's are nice-enough bikes. Versatile, easy to live with, okay power and handling. The CS sold very poorly because of its weird styling and colors, but if your wife likes it, it is a solid bike. Drive a HARD bargain and don't expect to get much resale if you sell in a short time.

Yes, this is probably the smallest/cheapest bike out there which will have ABS. She'll like the heated grips too, if it has them.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike & Mark,

I looked on the the Kawi site but couldn't find out anything about the EX500 and ABS. For my wife the ABS is a must have so limits the choices a lot.

As for the styling it is certainly different. Of course that is why Adva likes it. I will keep in mind what you said about bargaining. I am crap at this and usually just pay the price. I must admit I wouldn't mind having a 650 in the driveway too. Then when folks who ride come to visit us (we get a lot of company) we can head out for a jaunt.

Thanks

gypsy

No EX500 is going to have ABS. Kawaski is replacing it with the new 650 twin which would be a nice choice, but it doesn't have ABS either. For a small, lightweight bike with ABS, I think the BMW is the only game in town.

I recall that BMW has been running some very good incentives on the F650's now that the F800 is in the pipe. You might want to log into www.f650.com and get some idea what the going rate is on the CS right now.

- Mark

Kawaski is replacing it with the new 650 twin which would be a nice choice, but it doesn't have ABS either.
Only the ER-6n version for Europe will offer abs as an option.

You probably will see this and I don't know where you're located, but someone on here is selling what sounds like a nice 2003 650 CS.

- Mark

Gypsy, I'm trying to help, and I don't want to offend fans of it, but I don't like the F650CS at all.

It's a horrid little thing that seems at best to me to be intended for Very Light Use. The Bombardier/Rotax single cylinder engine is lifeless, delivering no sense of power whatsoever. It is also way, way more prone to failures than even the other over-regarded BMWs. As well, far from being "A BMW", the entire design came from Rotax, and is even more "innovative and different" (Read, Quicky) than "real" BMWs. Everything about it is clunky in operation, many levels below the integrated quality of common motorcycles - even those costing $5000 new. It is not a design that leads to even as long life as we'd expect from a Japanese sport bike.

I find the entire product so objectionable that after three trips on them, I now refuse the use of one as a dealer loaner. I'd rather walk the mile to the bus stop and take two extra hours to get home.

A friend did ride one on a ride (Too straight line to be called a Tour) across most of the US - one way. It droned alone at 65 mph just fine, and the accommodations didn't bother him any more that the same trip on one of his RxxxxGS bikes. But he sold it right after the trip.

There are numerous better choices, simply from the standpoint of Being A Real Motorcycle. So much so that I'd never let someone's desire for ABS to override having a decent and safe Motorcycle (as in reliable, with standard handling and operating qualities). ABS or not, an SV650 is a far "safer" bike to be riding. And one that will still be functioning fabulously... next year as well.

Beside my FJR I ride a 2005 VFR800. It is a smaller package, very, very managable by smaller people, that is an astoundingly competent Motorcycyle. It Handling, Usable Power, Ergonomincs, Reliability, Servicability, and Value are outstanding, as is its adaptability to even 90th percentile Sport Touring, and it would have a far lower cost of ownership than the F650. And, the 5th and 6th Generation models come with ABS.

It's not the styling and colors that brought about the demise of the F650. It's that it was barely a real motorcycle, and that folks found much better value - in all facets of owning a bike - in other brands and models. I'm ceratin owners can find justifyingly nice things to say about it. But that doesn't change the fact that overall, it's still just barely a motorcycle.

Best wishes with your choice.

My neighbor has a F650GS, I think he may want to sell it, He's been talking about wanting another bike if by chance you may be interested I will put him in touch w/you. He has farkled it up a bit, Dont know how many farkles he wants to keep or sell, it has new tires, after market exhaust, powerlet strip, couple windscreens short and tall, gps xm radio. Lemeno if you are interested I'll put him in touch. He is located in MS

Gypsy, I'm trying to help, and I don't want to offend fans of it, but I don't like the F650CS at all.....
Two comments:

1. This sort of advice reminds me of folks who discourage people from buying scooters because they're not "real motorcycles". I got news for you: some people don't want a big, powerful, sporty, motorcycle - they want a safe, convenient, easy-to-ride motorcycle. To recommend to someone to get a VFR800 rather than a F650CS is like recommending someone get a BMW M3 rather than a Honda Civic because it's performs so much better. Sure it does, but that's not the point.

2. At least get your facts straight. The first generation F650 used the Rotax motor, but the 2001 and beyond bikes were new designs completely built by BMW. Not that it matters, many think the original Rotax motors were in some ways better. I have a friend who has a 1st generation F650 that he uses for adventure touring - he has 30K on this bike and it runs like a top. For the intended purpose, it's a great bike.

- Mark

My wife rides a CS and is just happy with it. :p it's really an easy-to-ride bike due to its very low gravity center. For paved roads it looks to be a better choice than a GS. Also a GS has a different handling, more special I'd say.

Of course it is not so powerful as the Japs' 600ccm 4-in-row but for pleasure rides it is a perfect bike. ABS and heated grips are cool things! The only weak point till now is the lack of technical documentation for do-it-yourself maintenance.

Among other ABS 600 there is HONDA CBF600S but I did not like it's handling. And it is heavier than CS. My wife is not so tall and does not like weight-lifting sports.

Check another forum : k-bikes.com and f650.com about CS and other BMW bikes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
....There are numerous better choices, simply from the standpoint of Being A Real Motorcycle...
...It's not the styling and colors that brought about the demise of the F650. It's that it was barely a real motorcycle...
Boy! I thought I went off the deep end sometimes....

Listen, tell us how your really feel.....

That motorcycle's never been my cup of tea but I could certainly see myself on a Pegaso.....

markjenn  2. At least get your facts straight. The first generation F650 used the Rotax motor, but the 2001 and beyond bikes were new designs completely built by BMW.
In a similar move: the late Scorpion Snowmobile Co. used JLO engines from Germany and then decided to build them in-house. The new "Cuyuna" engines were still, for all intents and purposes, JLOs. I, for one, would like to know the differences (if any?) between the BMW 650, Rotax 650, and old (other than the head) 'Priller Pegaso. btw, a friend bought an F650GS/PD and has had a considerable amount of niusance problems. He's a long-time motorcyclist and has ridden many bikes -- (due to the "issues") this may be his last of this genre?

markjenn   2. At least get your facts straight. The first generation F650 used the Rotax motor, but the 2001 and beyond bikes were new designs completely built by BMW.
In a similar move: the late Scorpion Snowmobile Co. used JLO engines from Germany and then decided to build them in-house. The new "Cuyuna" engines were still, for all intents and purposes, JLOs. I, for one, would like to know the differences (if any?) between the BMW 650, Rotax 650, and old (other than the head) 'Priller Pegaso. btw, a friend bought an F650GS/PD and has had a considerable amount of niusance problems. He's a long-time motorcyclist and has ridden many bikes -- (due to the "issues") this may be his last of this genre?
The 2nd generation BMW-built F650 is for all practical purposes a completely new design. It's a four-valve rather than two-valve motor, fuel-injected rather than carb'd, completely new fuel system, etc. BMW is just now releasing a new F800 twin in standard and touring versions and it is unclear at this point where the F650 will be revised, superceded, downsized, etc.

From https://faq.f650.com/FAQs/F650HistoryDifferences.htm ...

For the 2001 model year, starting manufacture in mid-late 2000, BMW took the bike in-house. They revamped the design of the bike, almost entirely. The new bikes benefit from fuel injection and the gas tank residing under the seat, with a faux tank cover... someone who owns one can say what. ABS became available. The motor now has four valves and one spark plug....

- Mark

Gypsy, I'm trying to help, and I don't want to offend fans of it, but I don't like the F650CS at all.....
Two comments:

1. This sort of advice reminds me of folks who discourage people from buying scooters because they're not "real motorcycles". I got news for you: some people don't want a big, powerful, sporty, motorcycle - they want a safe, convenient, easy-to-ride motorcycle. To recommend to someone to get a VFR800 rather than a F650CS is like recommending someone get a BMW M3 rather than a Honda Civic because it's performs so much better. Sure it does, but that's not the point.

2. At least get your facts straight. The first generation F650 used the Rotax motor, but the 2001 and beyond bikes were new designs completely built by BMW. Not that it matters, many think the original Rotax motors were in some ways better. I have a friend who has a 1st generation F650 that he uses for adventure touring - he has 30K on this bike and it runs like a top. For the intended purpose, it's a great bike.

- Mark
Well, Mark, apparently you can't take criticism of the F650 well. You are welcome to your opinion, which you formed by how much experience using one, eh?

You are correct, BMW did dig in and change things about the original model. That's good because that was even worse at doing motorcycle things than what resulted. Only so much could be done to the basic package though.

The cyclinder head and attachments were changed not just to enhance the original pathetic performance, but rather to meet world emisssion standards. The drivability is still poor. Change doesn't automatically mean better, nor much better. And what not changed about the drive components is still as poor as it was. And now there's an expensive drive belt to change out there rather than a chain.

How did the changes really work out? Well, sales dropped and the model was discontinued.

And, I did not recommend a VFR -- no words in there that do that at all. Rather, I pointed out there were much better packages, and that one like the VFR package contains suplatives across the entire range of motorcycle things. And all at a low, and probably lower cost of ownership than an F650.

As far as scooters go, I'm a great fan, and ride them every chance I get. They suit a large number of missions, doing well at them. But, they are not motorcycles. Motorcycles do address scooter missions though ofen not as well. And behond that, motocycles address missions well beyond those that scooters can do a good job at.

What missions are an F650 really good at? And of those, is there better address by other motorcycles? The answer to the latter is, "Definitely."

My point, and my desire to help the otriginal poster lays in the fact I wouldn't want my wife, girlfriend, or in fact any person, riding an F650 when they are going to be cared for much better by something eles. Unless they fully understood the liabilities.

Go ride an F650, Mark, and then tell if you'd rather have your loved on riding one, or instead, a more competent and complete motocycle package.

Best wishes.

Two comments:

- Mark
Well, Mark, apparently you can't take criticism of the F650 well. You are welcome to your opinion, which you formed by how much experience using one, eh?
Oh, c'mon now, let's not be having the pot calling the kettle black. If you are going to call a bike "horrid" and "not a real motorcycle" then I'm going to defend the bike because, as the factual mistakes in your posts show clearly, you don't know what you're talking about.

The F650 is not one one of my personal favorite bikes (I have a KTM 640 Adv for the big dual-sport role), but if someone says they want a ABS, heated grips, factory-bagged, low-seat height, easy-to-ride, non-intimidating, bike to toddle around on, exactly what other bike fills the bill? Apparently you feel that it is better to tell someone that their requirements are not valid and they should get a VFR or SV650. In a nutshell, you're rejecting their requirements because you have a set template about what you think a "real motorcycle" is. This is not good advice. If you had said "consider a KLR" or "wait for the new F800" then we could have a discussion about the merits of different bikes that might be suitable, but you just want to dismiss the bike as a toy and unsuitable for anyone. This is hogwash.

And as to my knowledge base vs. yours, I have put several thousand miles on a current F650 and several hundred on a "classic" F650. And not just as dealer loaners as it appears all your experience is from. While I have never owned one, I have lots of friends how do, including one right now who uses it all the time. Along with his K1200R, and KTM 625SXC. He's a guy that understands different missions suit different motorcycles.

- Mark