BMW F650 CS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well everyone thank you all for your input. I have got a lot to think about. Like all bikes (except the FJR of course.. :) ) there are strengths and weaknesses. We will have to give it more thought. Since it is Canada and January we have time to do that before riding season is upon us.

Thanks

gypsy

Last edited by a moderator:
"As for the styling it is certainly different. Of course that is why Adva likes it. I will keep in mind what you said about bargaining. I am crap at this and usually just pay the price. I must admit I wouldn't mind having a 650 in the driveway too. Then when folks who ride come to visit us (we get a lot of company) we can head out for a jaunt."

Okay, buy the bike and I'll come visit . :p

Canadian FJR

Mike & Mark,
I looked on the the Kawi site but couldn't find out anything about the EX500 and ABS. For my wife the ABS is a must have so limits the choices a lot.

As for the styling it is certainly different. Of course that is why Adva likes it. I will keep in mind what you said about bargaining. I am crap at this and usually just pay the price. I must admit I wouldn't mind having a 650 in the driveway too. Then when folks who ride come to visit us (we get a lot of company) we can head out for a jaunt.

Thanks

gypsy
Just tell them you are comparing it to some other bike that is much cheaper, and need something to tip the scales, like a significant discount.

markjenn  Posted on Jan 4 2006, 07:45 PMQUOTE

markjenn 

2. At least get your facts straight.<snip>

The 2nd generation BMW-built F650 is for all practical purposes a completely new design. It's a four-valve rather than two-valve motor,

From https://faq.f650.com/FAQs/F650HistoryDifferences.htm ...
Thanks, markjenn. But, I'm not sure about the 2-valve part? I think all Rotax 4-stroke singles have been, at least, 4-valve (even going back to the ATK, MZ Silver Star, Wood/Rotax, air-cooled singles)? But, I'm willing to learn....Thanks, too, for the link to the BMW site for the (typically detailed) info that includes the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'd recommend it to the person who started this thread before he "jumps in".

I have posted a few things on ABS before and it is not the end all of stopping everything.

Some systems like fuel injection are better than others.

The FJR happens to have one of the top notch fuel injection systems and ABS.

I don't know anything about the BMW ABS system on the F650 but just because it says ABS doesn't mean it is as good as others.

Also an ABS system can actually slow down your stopping distance.

Experienced riders who can take advantage of pulsating brakes so they can manuever and brake at the same time this is an advantage. But for someone who is not so experienced and isn't going to dodge a obstical but is just trying to stop as quickly as possible non-ABS can sometimes be better.

I hope this doesn't start a flame war as this really isn't opinion it is support by many websites and testing and is meant to only point out that as a new rider ABS may not be a needed requirement for a first bike.

IMHO.

Also I will add that many on this forum will start to point out about ABS and gravel, being leaned over, and many other reasons why ABS is good.

Well, every reason I have seen to have ABS also points to bad riding form.

First you are not suppose to brake when leaned over. Many proponents of ABS will say if leaned over and in gravel without ABS it will lock you will go down, with ABS it will pulse and you might regain control. Still bad form of riding and ABS a bandaid.

Gravel and braking are like speed limits and icy conditions. Ever had an accident when it was raining or icy and the cop give you a ticket for failing to control your speed.

On gravel you shouldn't be going as fast and increase your stopping distance.

My point, everything I have ever read pro-ABS points to wrong moves on the part of the pilot. Go to any motorcycle safety course and they will teach proper technique on how to stop and even a straight up locked brake slid and the bike stays up and straight.

Going around a turn the course will teach to bring the bike straight before braking.

Now the one place I have seen ABS better is in wet conditions but again rider behavior in wet conditions should slow down anyway for the conditions not rely on a braking system.

ABS is a band-aid and people should learn to ride correctly.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by a moderator:
This ABS vs. non-ABS issue has been beat to death all over the net for years now. Let's not do it again here.

- Mark

This ABS vs. non-ABS issue has been beat to death all over the net for years now. Let's not do it again here.
- Mark
True and my only point was that I don't think it should be the #1 priority of a first bike...

Again thanks for all the pros and cons ya'll have given. After more thought on what you lads wrote, some more research, and a chat with an instructor from the Motorcycle Safety course my wife decided that ABS is not a 'must have'. Also I contacted a couple local people who ride the BMW650 around here and they said they would be more likely to buy a V-Strom if they were replacing it.

So in the past couple days we have explored the Buell Blast and the Suzuki GS500. They are essentially the same price. In fact we could buy both for the price of the BMW650. After talking to sales people and friends who have only taken up riding during the past few years we are leaning towards the GS. I like the fact that it is 2 cyl and an not a thumper and the F-model has a fairing. It can get chilly and damp in the parts fast.

Once again thanks for your help.

gypsy

Thew V-strom is a might top heavy for a first bike.

Let us know when the final decision has been made, then get the MSF course finished and go riding!