BMW K1200GT broke down in Reno, Nv.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trsded my '00 R1200C in for my '07 FJR. What fails a lot (as did mine) are the transmission input splines. Mine did at 18,000 miles. It's instantaneous. I thought it slipped into neutral except for the awful sound it makes. Approx $3,000 repair, covered under warranty. Stranded on the freeway, though. Then I see that this has been happening quite a bit to C's and LT's especially for some reason. It was a disillusioning experience, because motor and drivetrain is where BMW is supposed to shine. So it sounds like the GT has got it too. That's a lot of money to pay for a bike to strand you somewhere. Love my FJR. Never going back.

Jay

Well BMW has two years to get this whole problem sorted out! Why two years? Because that's when I'm hoping to add a GS to my stable.

Well BMW has two years to get this whole problem sorted out! Why two years? Because that's when I'm hoping to add a GS to my stable.
Artie, Artie, Artie... really dude, come on out and take the DL for a spin. Think about it: By the time you get done outfitting the GS, you're looking at 25 g's - minimum. My Wabs will top out at a tick over 10,500 by the time I get done with the suspension upgrades, next year. That leaves me a spare 15 G's to go traveling with or, better yet, buy yet another toy! And the true bonus is that the Wabs is bullet proof. Oh, sure, it doesn't have the fancy-schmancy rondel and hoity-toity exorbitant service/parts cost that all the hot chicks dig, but hey, hot chicks never venture into wilderness anyway. Right? ;)

Oh what a beautifully ironic moment this is!
I've been a moderator on that board for ages and Joe (messenger13 over there) and I have had a good natured debate going on FJR vs. GT for months.

I've got me some adult beverages coming my way now! I bet him last year that his GT would leave him stranded before my FJR would and it's PAY UP TIME JOE!

HAHAHAHAHA!
That's good that you have this relationship with the other rider. When I make digs at other bikes, it's always in good spirit. I don't wish bad stuff on anyone, but it sure irks the purist nature side of the BMW owner.

It seems to me, what separates German and Japanese manufacturers are 2 different design philosophies. The German makers tend to tout their products as cutting edge in technology over all their competition, with a little more caution thrown to the wind in terms of reliability. And their owners seemingly can accept this slight trade off, so long as they feel that their product is superior in every way to someone else's. This type of brand can lead the purist type of personality in any direction it wants, because this type of consumer craves this feeling above anything else, and are prepared to pay handsomely for it as well.

On the other hand, the Japanese seem to approach their designs with a little more caution, (some may think even boring, check above) and not necessarily put themselves out on limb with regards to reliability. Even though it seems that sometimes, their technology appears to function better than other brands. The priority of this buyer may put reliability first, above bleeding edge technology, but is also happy to see that thier particular machine can also hang with, and in some cases exceed other competing products.

Does this apply to the much talked about R1200GS too?

Yep it sure does, I lost my final Drive on my 1200gs at 22,000 miles.

I will sell you mine, it has an almost new Final Dive.

I've been a moderator on that board for ages and Joe (messenger13 over there) and I have had a good natured debate going on FJR vs. GT for months.

I've got me some adult beverages coming my way now! I bet him last year that his GT would leave him stranded before my FJR would and it's PAY UP TIME JOE!

HAHAHAHAHA!
That's good that you have this relationship with the other rider. When I make digs at other bikes, it's always in good spirit. I don't wish bad stuff on anyone, but it sure irks the purist nature side of the BMW owner.
I realized that post seemed a bit harsh. You have to understand I don't wish ill luck on any rider but Joe's a special case :rolleyes: He's very BMW-uber-alles.

I will sell you mine, it has an almost new Final Dive.
Don't tempt me! :dribble:

Artie, Artie, Artie... really dude, come on out and take the DL for a spin.
I haven't had the opportunity to take a Strom out on the road, but I have taken a GS out. Let me tell you, that bike really did speak to me. It felt very comfortable, lightweight, and was fun to throw around in the twisty's. I even got to take it up to speed on the dirt and the bike was great. This bike really seemed to fit me (comfort and confidence) better than the FJR. :eek:

Unless something significant happens in the next two years, I'll probably have a good 80,000 miles on the FJR and will be looking for a replacement LD bike. For me the top consideration is the GS. I'll look at the latest version of the FJR, and probably the other sport touring bikes out there, but unless they blow me away, I'm going German and taking the final drive gamble.

I visit the GS site everyday also. I haven't seen much talk over there on final drive failures. There is a lot of high mileage riders over there and they love the GS. They all seem like really nice people from reading the posts. After spending a week on a GS 1200 last fall in the Alps, I was very impressed with that bike too. You would think engineering could easily solve this issue?

Ken

Unless something significant happens in the next two years, I'll probably have a good 80,000 miles on the FJR and will be looking for a replacement LD bike. For me the top consideration is the GS. I'll look at the latest version of the FJR, and probably the other sport touring bikes out there, but unless they blow me away, I'm going German and taking the final drive gamble.
I guess that Arizona heat has finally cause brain damage, 'bro! ;)

You are wise to wait 2 years, though... who knows, perhaps the GTR1400 will prove to be a runner, and you won't have to discover the math formula that throngs of BMW dudes have: German technology + ball bearings = eventual final drive failure :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you guys please keep it down. I have to go out to the garage and break up a fight between my FJR and my LT. The LT is cowering in the corner whinning that the FJR pointing at him snearing, your day is coming, told ya so yada yada yada............

I visit the GS site everyday also. I haven't seen much talk over there on final drive failures. There is a lot of high mileage riders over there and they love the GS. They all seem like really nice people from reading the posts. After spending a week on a GS 1200 last fall in the Alps, I was very impressed with that bike too. You would think engineering could easily solve this issue?Ken

You should just own both. Then, depending our your mood, you can chose one or the other. Both bikes have great +'s and are fun to ride.

Regarding the drive failures, I had a rear bearing fail in my '04 RT at 18,000, but it showed signs of failure beforehand (weeping) and I was able to finish a 2000+ trip before I had it replaced under warranty. No problems with the GS yet, I would just always suggest checking/lubing splines as a preventative measure.

Bikes001.jpg

I guess that Arizona heat has finally cause brain damage, 'bro! ;)
You are wise to wait 2 years, though... who knows, perhaps the GTR1400 will prove to be a runner, and you won't have to discover the math formula that throngs of BMW dudes have: German technology + ball bearings = eventual final drive failure :lol:

Well, it has gotten a bit warm around here lately... :focus:

I'm not going to jump ship anytime soon, but right now the GS is the strongest contender for me. I'll look at others when the time comes, but like I said, that's 2 years from now. Alot will change in the M/C industry in that time. The GTR1400 may become the next big thing, BMW may solve their problem, Honda may come out with a new Blackbird, the new ST1300 could become stable at speeds. We just don't know.

BWAH! That is rich! Perhaps they install the French bearings backwards so they run better, fooling them into thinking they are in full retreat..... :lol:
Dam you beat me to it! I had that same thought. I guess the french bearings surrender to wear and tear sooner

HAHAHAHAHA!
HAHAHA...nice!

iirc, this is the same model that gave up and died on last years almost winning ibr ride??