BMW on Li Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Riders,

For those who subscribe to BMW Motorcycle Magazine I draw your attention to page 66 of the Summer 2012 issue. For those who do not, the article is an interview with the Head of Electronics at BMW Motorrad. His position: current Li offerings are insufficient for drop-in use in BMW motorcycles except in limited situations like racing. Cold start amperage is insufficient, operating temperature range is too narrow, and standard charging system output too high to make current Li offerings a viable replacement for AGM/gel batteries. I guess those of you still using SLA batteries are w a y behind the tech curve!

So bottom line, read all the fine print before installing a Lithium-ion battery in your motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riders,

For those who subscribe to BMW Motorcycle Magazine I draw your attention to page 66 of the Summer 2012 issue. For those who do not, the article is an interview with the Head of Electronics at BMW Motorrad. His position: current Li offerings are insufficient for drop-in use in BMW motorcycles except in limited situations like racing. Cold start amperage is insufficient, operating temperature range is too narrow, and standard charging system output too high to make current Li offerings a viable replacement for AGM/gel batteries. I guess those of you still using SLA batteries are w a y behind the tech curve!

So bottom line, read all the fine print before installing a Lithium-ion battery in your motorcycle.
Lithium ion or lithium iron? The Shorai batteries are lithium iron IIRC. Would that make a difference to BMW?

Riders,

You shouldn't be reading a BMW magazine