BMW sport grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Can any of you confirm the length of the BMW sport grips? As you know, the FJR needs 135mm length. I have been given BMW part #32 72 1 458 395 left grip and #396 right grip. Are they the right length and has anyone used them? Are they much better than stock? Tks, Art

The BMW sport grips are shorter than the stock Yamaha grips. Most people won't notice an issue with this. If looks are all important to you, you will notice a gap. Of course, if you fill the gap with a throttle lock like the Vista Cruise or NEP, it's a useful gap.

The fact that you're concerned about the length of the grips at all raises questions. ;)

The ribs and palm swell of the BMW grips make them much more comfortable than the stock skinny flat grips, for many people. Some prefer larger grips still, and opt for foam or Grip Puppies.

The BMW sport grips currently installed, (my second set in 115k or so), measure 130 mm with the throttle side slightly shorter.

FYI - The FJR might use 135 mm grips, but it doesn't "need" them. It's far more likely that Yamaha just had lots of them left over from the sport bikes. The grips were one of the first things to come off of every Yamaha I've owned. Stockers suck!

Have a set installed, and they are a huge improvement over stock. There is a small gap on the clutch side, and I have a Vista cruise...so the length on the throttle side worked out well. The part numbers you cite are correct.

--G

As others have stated, the BMW grips are only slightly too short and you can stretch the grips to cover the difference if you like. Or use "grip donuts" - little donuts of foam rubber commonly sold for dirt bikes that take up the space and add a little cushioning for your thumb and forefinger.

GripsVolts.JPG

- Mark