Boost Your Luggage Capacity With Frame Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cajone

Reaction score
Since I bought my new ’07 FJR in April last year, I’ve racked up about 18,000 km, most of it on long trips. I typically spend about 4 or 5 nights camping for every night I spend in a motel so I travel with a full set of camping gear plus food, water, clothes and a laptop. This pretty much stretches my luggage capacity to the limit. I also like to use a small tank bag that doesn’t get in the way when riding and that I can quickly detach and take with me when I go into a store etc.

So I was trying to think of a way to add a bit of extra carrying capacity without stacking higher or hanging anything farther off the back end of the bike. Since I do a bit of self-powered cycling (less and less since I bought the FJR) and I’m familiar with the gear, I came up with the idea of using a bicycle frame bag to create some additional space. Here’s what my rig looks like in traveling mode:

FJRLuggage.jpg

I have a frame bag on each side with a total capacity of about 12 litres. In the frame bags I carry mostly stuff that is needed for the bike itself, such as; a mickey of engine oil, a plywood disk I throw down on soft ground to set the kickstand on, a fuel bottle, clean and dirty rags, microfibre cloths and a can of Sprayway to clean the windscreen, visor and headlights.

(By the way, both the Cortech Tail Bag and the MotoFizz Bag are excellent pieces of luggage. The MotoFizz, made in Japan, is very cleverly designed with lots of great features.)

You can make up a set of frame bags for about C$45 (US$37) including the cost of the bag and the bungie cords. Here is a close-up showing the attachment points:

FrameBag.jpg

The bags sit below the seat and behind the rider’s calf so they are completely out of the way when riding. They also have the advantage of carrying the extra weight low-down and in toward the centre of the bike which I like.

So I was trying to think of a way to add a bit of extra carrying capacity
I see you have the medium Motofizz bag, get the large and it fits perfectly. I have a medium and a large and the large will also hold a 2.5Gal plastic gas tank. The large will hold MUCH more than the medium. :rolleyes:

That is so cool! :good:

Since you are riding solo that is unused space that you are making use of. Have you any pictures with you on the bike showing how much room you still have for your feet?

Looks like a trip to the bicycle shop is in order.

Brodie

That is a good idea. I have seen some dual sport tank panniers that would also work great. You also might try a 4" square metal electrical cover instead of a piece of plywood for a kickstand support, could save a little space.

Bill

Uh... A year ago I would have ordered these in a heartbeat.

But I use those passenger pegs from time to time to stretch out. I'm also trying to learn to pack much less shit than I do now. I learned first hand last summer how much shit I don't need to take.

Great idea, but would suggest some 3M paint protection film on those side panels. :glare:

That is a good idea. I have seen some dual sport tank panniers that would also work great. You also might try a 4" square metal electrical cover instead of a piece of plywood for a kickstand support, could save a little space.Bill
+1 on the junction box cover. The one I use has a hole in it for a screw and I tied about 40" of thin nylon cord to it. I looped the other end and now once the cover is under the kickstand I loop the end of the cord around the left grip. Then when I'm on the bike and ready to go I can take the j-box cover and reel it in w/o bending over. I think I got that idea on this forum so props to whoever thought of it first.

Lee

That is a good idea. I have seen some dual sport tank panniers that would also work great. You also might try a 4" square metal electrical cover instead of a piece of plywood for a kickstand support, could save a little space.Bill
Good idea, Bill. I'm going to try it.

Good idea, 650cent. I'm going to try it.

Nice work!

Looking at the Motofizz Medium, it appears to be huge! I don't think I'd want to carry anything larger on the back seat.

Anyone have a pic of the MF Large fully stuffed on the bike?

Here are 2 shots from my large Motofizz. Keep in mind there is additional 5 inches you can get my unzipping each side. When the sides are zipped closed you can get in the side bags but when they are opened as far as they can go it is very hard to get into the side bags. I love having the bag as a backrest and I use the side to put my Camelbak so I can have water while I am riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that... it doesn't look as bad/big as I thought. Now I know where I can stow my midget. :)

Seems like it can hold tent, bed roll, and sleeping bag etc with room to spare.

That is what I would use it for...leave it packed with camping gear so I can just load it and go on Fri night after work and be goooone.

Thanks for posting that... it doesn't look as bad/big as I thought. Now I know where I can stow my midget. :)
Seems like it can hold tent, bed roll, and sleeping bag etc with room to spare.

That is what I would use it for...leave it packed with camping gear so I can just load it and go on Fri night after work and be goooone.
It will hold a 2.5Gal tank of gas perfectly and nice and snug for those longer rides where you may not see a gas station for a while. The only way to get more room would be to get the Givi 52 rather than the Yamaha top case.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the MotoFizz medium opened up on each end with the extension zips, I can just get the saddlebag lids open. In the medium bag I carry my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tarp, stove, plates and utensils and a bunch of other odds and ends. I looked at the large bag but it was a bit overwhelming for what I wanted. The good news is that you have a choice and you can pick the one that's right for you. There is also a small bag you can consider. Either way, the MotoFizz design and quality is really superb.

As far as I know, Aerostich is the only North American distributor.

Here is a review of the medium bag on Aerostich's web site:

https://www.aerostich.com/files/reviews/Moto_Fizz/

I really like the look of the large motofizz bag on top of the passenger seat. I used a cortech bag on my last trip to Colorado and I could have used a little more room. Another option that you may want to investigate is adding dual water jugs on the passenger pegs. I wrote a report with more detailed pics on my setup somewhere on this forum. The water jugs can be used for water or just extra storage. Here is a pic of my setup near Pagosa Sprngs Colorado during September 2008:

DSC00541.jpg