Boot Stretching

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Anyone know a "home remedy" material to put on cycle boots (besides water) to help stretch them out? I need to give my toes and the ball of my foot a little more room in these new riding boots. Sidi's need to come in wider sizes!

Boy are they sweet. (And, they should be.) I can actually walk in these things right out of the box without feeling like Captain Pegleg. But oh, those toesies are a bit schmushed. Rather let a wood block and some chemicals help break em in for me rather than wear them in.

I know I can take them to a cobbler in town and get 'em stretched. Or buy a stretcher. I'm just a DIY guy. I already have a block of wood that's a little "oversized" jammed in one boot. Thought maybe I could add something besides time and force to ease it along.

Ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought SIDI Way Tepor in my size 11 and could barely get them on. Had to send them back for 11 and 1/2 and they fit well. Italian sizing!

I bought SIDI Way Tepor in my size 11 and could barely get them on.  Had to send them back for 11 and 1/2 and they fit well.  Italian sizing!
I just got my SIDI Way Tepors this morning. I have the SIDI Champion Air also (For sale by the way!). The Airs were the same as the Tepor as for being tight. I wore the Tepors all day today and they've already started to loosen up. A few more days in them and they'll be good, just like the AIR's. The Tepor's are to replace the AIR's because I just don't like the zipper/flap on the outside of the ankle. Anyone looking for like new AIR's, 6 mo. old, let me know. $90 obo. Oh yeah, size 46 euro.

The best product to put on boots, shoes, or anything leather for that matter, is LEXOL leather conditioner. It keeps them soft and pliable ( strecthable ) and excells at maintaining the proper PH factor....very important when trying to protect leather. There are a number of these type products out there but LEXOL allways tests out on top.

The best product to put on boots, shoes, or anything leather for that matter, is LEXOL leather conditioner. It keeps them soft and pliable ( strecthable ) and excells at maintaining the proper PH factor....very important when trying to protect leather. There are a number of these type products out there but LEXOL allways tests out on top.
Agreed.

https://www.catfancy.com/mcn/model_eval/pro...Part1_Jan04.pdf

https://www.catfancy.com/mcn/model_eval/pro...Part2_Jan04.pdf

https://www.catfancy.com/mcn/model_eval/pro...Part3_Jan04.pdf

https://www.catfancy.com/mcn/model_eval/pro...Part4_Jan04.pdf

May sound strange but works with combat boots (probably won't with boots w/goretex liner); wear 'em in the shower or soak them in a bucket and then wear them around until dry - may have to do it more than once. I did that with a pair of new boots I was ready to give away and I still wear the boots, they're like slippers. Just bought the Lexol cleaner and conditioner and both are great!

Lexol does work good and I use it for a lot of things.....but.....there is something better if you want to stretch the leather. Look at a shoe or boot shop for BICK 4 leather conditioner. BICK 4 is excellent for working into the leather to get it to stretch and for general leather conditioning and protection. It is unusual in that it will not discolor or darken lighter colored leather so it can be used on most anything. Just work it into the leather and stretch/wear.

https://www.sheplers.com/item.cfm?DI=069475...LTIME_MensBoots

I can personally swear by this stuff and I have no connection whatsoever with Sheplers.

BTW....be sure and liberally apply the Bick 4 (or whatever you choose...Neatsfoot oil works as well but will darken leather considerably) to the outside of the boot AND the inside in the area you want to stretch. Put some of the Bick 4 on your fingers and put your hand inside the boot and work the Bick 4 into the inner liner of the boot. This is the part of the "breaking in" process that most people overlook and it is more important to treat the inside of the boot than the outside.

BTW....be sure and liberally apply the Bick 4 (or whatever you choose...Neatsfoot oil works as well but will darken leather considerably) to the outside of the boot AND the inside in the area you want to stretch. Put some of the Bick 4 on your fingers and put your hand inside the boot and work the Bick 4 into the inner liner of the boot. This is the part of the "breaking in" process that most people overlook and it is more important to treat the inside of the boot than the outside.
Kinda tough to schmere stuff around the inside the particular boots I have. They are completely lined. That's what I want in the long run, but it does make sense that coating the material on the inside AND the outside would give better penetration and better results.

I read one site that said to simply use isopropal alchohol and water mixture. Now THAT I might be able to use through the liner, but probably wouln't try it. I guess the alchohol speeds up the fluid penetration through the leather.

1st thing one Saturday morning about 9:00 A.M. And, with the temps at least 70 or 80 degrees; put your boots in a large bucket of warm water. Empty water down inside of them to make sure that they are soaking wet and let them sit in there for about 10 minutes or so.

Now take them out, put some wet socks on then put the boots on and wear them all day to do whatever you are planning to do for that day.

By 5:00 P.M. or so they will have stretched and dryed to their new size. By about 1:00 P.M. they will feel so good that you forgot that they once were too tight!

Now send me my fifty bucks!

By 5:00 P.M. or so they will have stretched and dryed to their new size. By about 1:00 P.M. they will feel so good that you forgot that they once were too tight!
Now send me my fifty bucks!
And the skin on your feet will have rotted off :eek: or you will at least think it did!

I wore wet shoes all day several years ago an it took years before my feet didn't burn when they got a little wet :angry: . I belive it used to be called 'jungle rot' maybe still is :unsure:

Oil 'em up like jestal says,

:jester: