Boots..what are YOU wearing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, don't be afraid to look at the Formas and Gaerne boots. Like the Sidi, they are super nice, and can be had for great prices, if you look around.

SIDI Armada, accept no substitute.These are waterproof and breathable Gortex, super comfortable even on a road bike and for walking around in, while still offering great protection. I always keep the plastic side stiffeners on, since they don't detract from the comfort of these awesome boots. Amazingly, these boots also seem to work well in extremely hot weather. The shin padding is good but not thick enough to prevent bike pants from easily going over them.
Agree 100%. Perfect fit, felt broken in out of the box, 100% waterproof.

I went to Revzilla's actual store to buy a pair of boots. I had made my mind up on what I wanted. I have been using the Tourmaster Solution WP boots. They are extremely comfortable but they don't have the protection I want to ride with moving forward, but they were one of the few boots that was sold in wide sizes. I rolled up into Revzilla and said what I was looking for and he immediately said "I'm happy to go get them for you to try on, but let's go over the size by brand, briefly". He then started at the narrowest brand boot and went up in width from manufacturer to manufacturer. We determined after trying several narrower boots on that I really WANTED that it left me two options. Alpinestars or Daytona boots. Those two were cut much wider than something like the Dainese or Sidi's. I went with the Alpinestars S-MX 6 WP boots and so far, I'm really happy with them. They have vast amounts more protection than the Tourmaster boots I was wearing, and they are very comfortable. They were really stiff at first but they are getting broken in and they feel great on my feet.
I think boots are a bit like helmets. You have to get the ones that fit you with the protection level you're looking for. What fits me great might not fit you at all.
What LD said - (& what he did)Wide foot, high arch, many boot brands are an impossible fit.

After 2 prs of Tourmaster Solutions, each pr replaced once under warranty for not staying waterproof, I wanted a little better protection and a lot more waterproof. 4 stores and 12 try ons later and I found Alpinestars Multiair XCR with Gore-tex. Hope they are worth the $$.

-Steve

In addition to my TCX x-Five goretex boots that I wear on the FJR, I also have a pair of Gaerne G Adventures. They are waterproof, but not GoreTex, and are higher boots with some shin protection, as you would expect and desire for an Adventure or light dual sport boot. I wear those on the Vstrom if the ride will include much off pavement riding.

They are completely watertight, which I uniquely tested the day last spring when I inadvertently inverted my 'Strom into a drainage ditch atop myself. My left side leg went underwater to above the knee and the boot filled. The right side leg was on top, so it stayed completely dry inside, even as we subsequently slogged around in the stream getting the bike extracted.

Unfortunately that watertightness held the water inside of that left boot for the 8 hour ride home from PA with a broken left foot peg (I did dump out as much water as I could before heading home) and my foot was pretty waterlogged when I got home, though that was the least of my worries st the time.

More importantly, the bike landed on my left lower leg when we went down. I'm convinced that the protection that the high boot gave is all that kept me from fracturing a bone. I did get a pretty bad bone bruise from it, and the leg swelled up quite nicely, but that is much better than broken bones.

Danner Desert Acadias, Danner Goretex Acadias, Danner Insulated Goretex Acadias, dependent upon weather. If I found a boot available in 4E, that would accommodate superhero calves, that was comfortable and didn't look like I'd mugged a power ranger for them, I'd probably try them. Haven't yet.

A plus on the TCX X5 side is that they don't have a crazy color scheme so if you commute on your bike, you can wear them and they can slip by casual meetings as a black shoe.

TCX Airtech EVO Gore-Tex for me. Second (maybe third?) pair. I have a wide, warm foot and these fit my needs perfectly. Never been wet in them and very comfortable off the bike. You might still be able to find the last generation non-EVO on closeout for less. Not a helluva lot of difference from what I can tell.

Daytona Road Star GTX, the best boots I´ve ever had
thumbsup.gif

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/daytona-road-star-gtx-boots

Last edited by a moderator:
Forma adventure lows. The first trip I wore these on was from texas around Lake Superior and back. They are awesome. Easy to put on. Comfortable enough for short hikes. I tried several budget pairs (at least four) I would have saved money if I would have just pulled the trigger right away. I did have to adjust my shift lever up - the toe box is larger than other boots I had worn in the past.

Pretty much Sidi air and Sidi Gore-Tex.

Sidi offers excellent protection.

Of course the key is to find something with good protection that also fits. So the idea of going to a place like Revzilla is really an excellent idea.

Alpinestars Web Gortex and the same boot but non-waterproof for the summer. Feet have never gotten while riding in the rain wearing the Web Gortex and stay warm.

I've got narrow feet (waterskies, if you will), and the Alpinestars brand seems to fit me better. I've been wearing the now discontinued Alpha Touring Waterproof boot for several years. My current pair is well worn (but still serviceable), however this thread prompted me to look around. On Ebay, I found a new in the box with tags pair of Alphas in my size. I made the seller a low ball offer and he accepted!!!

Thanks FJR forum!!!

Just picked up a pair of Aero Moto dry tour boots on a flash sale. First set was to small second pair fits. No hassle return comp USA. We will find out how good they are. So far I am impressed for the price. The last pair was almost $300.00. and I have had them for 5 years now but they are very comfortable.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for the Forma Adventure Low. Extremely comfortable out of the box, water proof and sturdy! I have had a near miss, and these boots saved my ankle for sure, that along with the traction control and I was able to keep riding. I also have many twelve hour days in these. In fact, I am ordering up a second set in black now, because I have been using these for my off road boots as well.

You can get them from Motostorm, delivered for around $153.