Botched 06A Ignition Switch Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They said they can't order the part until they have the bike and it should take a week. I"m out of town for a few days so the timing works.I will ask about the tech spec and how they plan on doing it correctly.
They're fibbing on that one. They can order a kit without having the bike in their possession.....they just won't. It's a $35.71 kit.

If they won't do that for you...especially on an issue that is safety related as this one....I would reconsider using them.

Chances are they haven't done this fix yet or probably even looked at the actual bulletin.
Yep, he's right. My dealer is ordering a few of these to have around.

Would still like to know which shop you went to.Come on, let the cat out!

I'm not looking for revenge. The dealer I went to now knows exactly how to do the recall. So they're probably one of the safer choices out there. In the end they fixed it. The down side is I still have my old ECU which has had shock therapy it didn't need. And my bike came apart way beyond what was necessary. That takes a toll in itself. I wasn't there for the re-assembly so I can only hope it's right until I have time to tear it down myself. My confidence in the bike is down, legitimate or not. If the ECU fails, will it be in my driveway, or at the top of Mount Mitchell. I plan on picking it up this afternoon.

Would still like to know which shop you went to.Come on, let the cat out!

I'm not looking for revenge. The dealer I went to now knows exactly how to do the recall. So they're probably one of the safer choices out there. In the end they fixed it. The down side is I still have my old ECU which has had shock therapy it didn't need. And my bike came apart way beyond what was necessary. That takes a toll in itself. I wasn't there for the re-assembly so I can only hope it's right until I have time to tear it down myself. My confidence in the bike is down, legitimate or not. If the ECU fails, will it be in my driveway, or at the top of Mount Mitchell. I plan on picking it up this afternoon.
Just got a call about the recall from the dealer where I bought my bike in N. E. Ohio.

Just don't want to go through the same bull sh*t.

Sorry 'bout your luck with the recall.

It's not revenge to help someone avoid stepping in the pile.

Don't blame the bike for some wrench jocky's mistakes.

Hope everything works out for you in the end.

Fred.

The dealer where I bought my bike requires the bike be left there before he will even order the part. Needless to say I don't go there.

I found another dealer that would order the part with a phone call and the VIN. When it comes in I just hand him the old one and take the new one home to put it in myself. Did this with the ECU also.

No other way to do business IMO.

Got mine done today. Altus Honda ordered the part and then called me when it came in which was yesterday. Dropped off bike this morning and it was ready around three PM. I told them about the relay and the bar risers. No problems. They could not figure out what the ram ball was for and why the windshield did not retract. They did a good job!

I'm about half afraid to take mine to a dealer. I may just not mess with it since mine's an 08, and I am not "pulling" anything like heated vests, grips etc through the switch.

It's sad hearing about all these dealer problems.

I hope there are many more operating the way mine did.

He ordered 5 switches as soon as he got the recall information.

When I talked to the service mgr before taking my bike in, he sounded like he had memorized the service bulletin.

I dropped the bike off just before closing one day and picked it up the next afternoon.

Absolutely no problems!

:D

He ordered 5 switches as soon as he got the recall information.
My dealer insisted on having the bike before ordering the switches because sometimes they order a recall part and the person never shows up so they have to eat the part. They said they would overnight the part and have it in last Tuesday. Well, they did not overnight it and the bike was not done until Friday. They did their first 4 recalls this week and everyone dropped it off last Saturday. So what did I miss? Well, we set a record high this week! I could have ridden in shorts and a tee shirt (but I would not have due to my ATGATT policy).