Bought 08 finally, BIG REGRETS!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHY DIDN'T I BUY IT SOONER!!!! :yahoo:
LOL

After riding it the first 200 miles I have found out that the vibe issue I was so scared of is of little consequence.
What "vibe issue" is that?

I love the power, it comes on smoothly and linear with no surprises. I expected more but hey I have owned a couple R1s and a GSXR 1K so not much impresses me power wise anymore.
Well, that explains it then. I come from the cruiser world and the damn thing surprises me on a regular basis. :)

The bar angle does make my wrist ache a little and the helmet wind roar is loud even with plugs, I am 6 foot and expected to need a taller windshield.
Same here.

I noticed that the helmet buffeting only happened if the wind was blowing just right. Most of the time I was not a bobble head.
It was really bad for me when the shield was all the way up.

WHY DIDN'T I BUY IT SOONER!!!! :yahoo:
LOL

After riding it the first 200 miles I have found out that the vibe issue I was so scared of is of little consequence.
What "vibe issue" is that?

I love the power, it comes on smoothly and linear with no surprises. I expected more but hey I have owned a couple R1s and a GSXR 1K so not much impresses me power wise anymore.
Well, that explains it then. I come from the cruiser world and the damn thing surprises me on a regular basis. :)

The bar angle does make my wrist ache a little and the helmet wind roar is loud even with plugs, I am 6 foot and expected to need a taller windshield.
Same here.

I noticed that the helmet buffeting only happened if the wind was blowing just right. Most of the time I was not a bobble head.
It was really bad for me when the shield was all the way up.
Thanks all for welcoming me into the cult, um, I mean club.

I should clarify the "vibe issue" ----I had read all kinds of complaints about peoples hands falling asleep, yada yada, yada. I don't find this bike vibey at all. It is super smooth. It had me scared because I didnt want to buy it if it there was an annoying high frequency vibe. I guess some people are just super sensitive. They should do a 500 mile day on a 883 sporty. I bought one brand new in 97, it was my first of many motorcycles. Everything after that felt smooth and vibe free.

I put another 200 miles on today and wish I had time to put on more. What a sweet machine!!! :)

I will start reading up on some windshield choices, but I understand that is as subjective as seats. BTW so far I like the seat, I may get an Alaska Leather for long days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should clarify the "vibe issue" ----I had read all kinds of complaints about peoples hands falling asleep, yada yada, yada. I don't find this bike vibey at all.
Mine has a minor vibration in the handlebars - it's noticeable but, after riding 200 miles yesterday, it's not too bad. I thik the big grin on my face helped the "pain" though. :)

I will start reading up on some windshield choices, but I understand that is as subjective as seats.
Undoubetdly - a lot of folks recommend the Cee Bailey shields.

BTW so far I like the seat, I may get an Alaska Leather for long days.
I'd always heard that all stock seats suck but the stock FJR one isn't too bad - not cushiony at all but firm and comfortable. Glad to hear you're enjoying your ride as much as I am mine. :)

Congrats!

I'm breaking in a 2007 right now. Like you I sold a big cruiser and have no regrets. I did experience some mild lower back and wrist aches with the stock handlebar setup. A Heli triple clamp got rid of those problems (I'm 5-11, 34/35 inch sleeve).

I will start reading up on some windshield choices, but I understand that is as subjective as seats. BTW so far I like the seat, I may get an Alaska Leather for long days.
Welcome to the Forum Greb! You will not be dissappointed with your choice. As many have said, the more you ride it, the better it gets.

As far as windshields, there are a lot of choices. I ended up getting a Rifle +3 tall, +4 wide and couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the Forum Greb! You will not be dissappointed with your choice. As many have said, the more you ride it, the better it gets.

As far as windshields, there are a lot of choices. I ended up getting a Rifle +3 tall, +4 wide and couldn't be happier.
Thank you fjrbob, I'll look into the Rifle shield also

This trend of Husband has a FJR and Wife has a 650r is wierd :unsure:
My wife and I are the same

She loves her "Red" Kawi 650r :wub: - I have road it a couple of time - it's a very nice bike and lots of fun

later

I have a Versys also, I bought it because I liked her 650R so much. I wanted that engine in a frame more suited to my build. I love jumping off the FJR and getting on the Versys. It feels light as a feather and the handling is awesome. Even though the engines are quite similiar the cams profile makes the torque sooner so the Versys feels much quicker than the 650R.

I think the 650R is a great bike for anyone, but a great choice for a woman that wants to put in some high mileage days. Very smooth on the highway and good touring capability.

Still lovin the FJR :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator: