Bought A '14 A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudewado

Reaction score
After totaling my '03 at the Reuben Run in La Pine in September, I took some time to let the collarbone heal and reflect on whether to keep riding or not.

I never seriously thought I would hang up my helmet, but the logical side of my brain wanted to discuss whether I should.

I don't bounce as good as I used to, but I recalled the words of one of my best friends.

When my wife died 13 years ago, and I was responsible for raising three teenagers, I was telling him I should probably sell my bike.

He was a rider and knew how much riding meant to me and told me, "You can't stop living because you're afraid of dying".

I promptly sold my Bandit 600, bought the FJR and started taking the rides I always wanted to take.

Anyway, I've been looking at leftover models. I found two 2012's in Seattle advertised for $11,000. When i called, one was sold and the other one became $12400 after
added profit "Freight and Set-Up."

I ended up driving up to Sublimity Powersports outside of Salem, OR to look at the '13's and '14's.

They had demo models of each for $13,500 and $14,000, with no freight or set-up.

According to the salesman, Yamaha designates some bikes as display models, and they can discount them.

The other '14 A they had is listed at $15,000.

I ended up with the '14, with 1 mile on the ODO, and a Y.E.S. plan for $14,400.

I realized last night that I never even considered buying anything but an FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new bike. Sorry to here about the difficult situations you have had to face but your friend is correct. Having had some life-changing issues myself, I too made the decision to live fully instead of in fear.

Wow, you got a dang good deal. Jesse Koeller, Yamaha Field Support Mgr., Western Region told me in November about buying a dealer demo at a reduced price. I wanted an ES and waiting for a dealer demo for that model may be a long wait so I bent over and took the retail price.

Good luck on the new ride. I've ridden thru your part of OR various times and must say it is fantastic motorcycle country. McKenzie Pass, Crater Lake hard to beat!! Spent a week one night in Bend!

Congrats on the new ride.

I just bought a 2010, and realized as I was coming home that I never even considered buying any other bike. It was FJR or nothing.

Congratulations on a new bike and a great deal.

Your friend was right: "Either get busy living or get busy dying."

Enjoy!

I bought this bike March 1st, and picked it up and rode it home a week later.

Between Oregon liquid sunshine and work I've only ridden it for 275 miles, but can add my initial impressions:

- The sport/tour mode is very noticeable.

- Bike seems very smooth (compared to ten years on an "03)

- Fit and finish is excellent; Hope the (beautiful red) paint is more durable than before.

- Display is getting easier to navigate, but still getting the semi-helpful owner's manual out for reference sometimes.

- The controls are very different from before with the added functions, but my fingers are learning. I keep hitting the hazard lights instead of starter,lol.

- Digital speedometer is very large and easy for people of a certain age to see, but the numbers changing all the time can so far be distracting.

- Engine temp gauge is almost useless; numbers jump all over the place.

- I was afraid the ABS brakes feel would be spongy from all of those rubber lines, but it feels fine, and the brakes seem very linear and strong.

- After roasting my chestnuts and legs on the '03, this bike has a lot less heat hitting my legs.

- The higher position on the seat makes more difference than I thought it would; If my legs were any shorter, I would be on tip-toes.

- They changed the angle of the dangle or something on the center stand; I didn't have problems with the old one, but this one is way easier to use.

I almost ran over myself the first time I came off the stand.

- Came without mud flap in the rear, haven't checked airbox yet.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I took off the fairing decals, bag reflectors and warning sticker; Installed Motovation sliders; And have a fender extender and rear flap on the way.

Next, I will be changing the seat, probably Rick Mayer.

All in all I'm a happy owner so far, and maybe I won't miss the '03 so much after all!

081_zpsf69dd0d1.jpg

Congrats on the new bike. Glad you were able to find a good deal here in Oregon. We have lost the dealers here in So. Oregon. A bit of a hassle to get the bike that far up the road for the service items I don't want to tackle. I had my fork seals replaced last fall at Sublimity Powersports. Overall I was pleased with them. Enjoy your new ride.

Dudewado, Sublimity isn't terribly close to Roseburg. Did you try any dealers closer? For example, Ramsey Waite in Eugene? Just wondering if there's anyone you'd suggest I stay away from. Did you talk to anyone at Beaverton Honda/Yamaha? How was your experience with Power Motorsports? Thanks!

First off, congrats on the purdy new redhead. I hope you have a long and mutually beneficial relationship.

Unlike you, I am considering other bikes as replacements, but more due to my location in the rough roads of the weather ravaged northeast than any fault of the feejers. I really love my '05, but... you know... the grass is always greener.

"You can't stop living because you're afraid of dying". -- those are some powerful words, well worth considering, if not heeding.

You're going to enjoy your 2014. I know that red FJR's are the fastest FJR's. Wow you sure got a good price. Have fun!

- Digital speedometer is very large and easy for people of a certain age to see, but the numbers changing all the time can so far be distracting.

Interesting - on my '14a I don't notice either jumping around. Maybe I'm just glancing at them a bit shorter but they both seem easy to read to me. In fact, once up to operating temperature it stays pretty much within 10 degrees. Although, I would have preferred a temperature gauge/icon of some kind instead. Just using a temperature it might be easier to not notice overheating as quickly.

Dudewado, Sublimity isn't terribly close to Roseburg. Did you try any dealers closer? For example, Ramsey Waite in Eugene? Just wondering if there's anyone you'd suggest I stay away from. Did you talk to anyone at Beaverton Honda/Yamaha? How was your experience with Power Motorsports? Thanks!
Sorry for the delay; "View New Content" apparently doesn't always work. I went to check out Ramsey when I had the '03 and didn't get a great feeling. Things could be different now.

It's seems more like a lawnmower shop that sells bikes on the side.

I saw Powers prices and went there before checking anyone else. They were great to deal with, with only a little hard sell on their alternative to the Yamaha Y.E.S. plan.

When I told them I was only interested in the YES, they backed off, and when I said no to there YES price, and I could get it for $400 at another dealer, they took my offer.

They were real low-key and friendly, and have a lot of bikes.

Interesting - on my '14a I don't notice either jumping around. Maybe I'm just glancing at them a bit shorter but they both seem easy to read to me. In fact, once up to operating temperature it stays pretty much within 10 degrees. Although, I would have preferred a temperature gauge/icon of some kind instead. Just using a temperature it might be easier to not notice overheating as quickly.
I haven't noticed it anymore; now it seems to act like yours does.