Bought new lightbulbs for my headlights...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried a set of H4 HIDs and was not terribly impressed. Low beam was OK with good brightness and reasonable beam pattern, but the shroud was going to have to get dremeled for a decent high beam. The shroud appears to be restricting the beam so that it doesn't get reflected properly. So right now I'm just running some SilverStars and they're pretty good. I do a lot of night riding (pre-dawn usually) and want to get as much light as possible. I also use high beams in the daytime to be more visible. I'd love to get some decent super-bright LED H4s, but will probably add some auxiliary lights to get the lighting that I want
In the end, messing with the stock lights brings only marginal improvements. That will be all some riders want, but if you are serious about riding in the dark then nothing will even come close to decent auxiliary lights.

First picture is stock Low Beam, second is High Beams with auxiliaries:

IMG_1621-L.jpg

IMG_1622-L.jpg

In both cases the camera exposure settings were the same. Those faint reflections you can see in the second picture at the left edge of the road, are markers for a 90 degree bend a measured half-mile away.

All depends on what bulb and type u have. Lumens don't lie, but theres a lot of the Chinese crap out there that does lie.

Whenever i see a pod which is one of the cheap ways to make a hi/low bulb in both HID and LED. Don't bother! Seriously, it will be a waste of time. Last fall I recall watching a 2014 FJR LED headlight replacement. As I watched, n watched... Mainly b/c the video is lame and slow, I think he spends a whole minute on telling u to put your old halogens in a Baggie.... Yikes! Anyways as I watched and saw the pod version, I could not fathom how this could actually be good. It wasn't, but it was fun seeing the posters enthusiasm prior to his comparison disappointment. Entertaining I guess, YouTube it.

When I flipped on the H7s, there are no pods or hi/low w the H7... I see a HUGE difference. Can't wait to see it project down a road.

I'm contemplating getting a set of those new LED from Justin. They seem to be getting some nice feedback on them..

Tried a set of H4 HIDs and was not terribly impressed. Low beam was OK with good brightness and reasonable beam pattern, but the shroud was going to have to get dremeled for a decent high beam. The shroud appears to be restricting the beam so that it doesn't get reflected properly. So right now I'm just running some SilverStars and they're pretty good. I do a lot of night riding (pre-dawn usually) and want to get as much light as possible. I also use high beams in the daytime to be more visible. I'd love to get some decent super-bright LED H4s, but will probably add some auxiliary lights to get the lighting that I want
In the end, messing with the stock lights brings only marginal improvements. That will be all some riders want, but if you are serious about riding in the dark then nothing will even come close to decent auxiliary lights.

First picture is stock Low Beam, second is High Beams with auxiliaries:

IMG_1621-L.jpg

IMG_1622-L.jpg

In both cases the camera exposure settings were the same. Those faint reflections you can see in the second picture at the left edge of the road, are markers for a 90 degree bend a measured half-mile away.
LED Aux lights are truely amazing. First time I used them during a midnight country ride, and had to dim for oncoming traffic, I thought for a moment my low beams had both failed...
omg2.gif