braided hoses......?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyb73

Reaction score
I have been wanting to replace my existing brake lines on my 55 plate as i have noticed on my last couple of runs the brakes are getting soft and not as responsive as they once were. I know its not the pads themselves as it has not long had a major service. I have looked online for prices and they are anything between £65-£100. Just wondered if anyone has any advice on what make to go for.

There are a few reputable brands, any of which should be equal in performance: Galfer, HEL, and Speigler come to mind. The only real piece of advice I have to offer is go for the 3 line front kit, not the 2 line. The 2 line front kits are nearly impossible to mount properly without the lower triple clamp causing damage to the lines.

Gunny Galfers. I have them for the clutch and dual front brake lines. Also had a set on my old Duc and Beemer. Great stuff. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the HEL braided brake lines. The look good, work well, and have been on for about 4 years with no problems. My only complaint is that they are much longer than necessary and I had to route them around things to take up the slack. My bike has no ABS so there are two lines stacked on the front master cylinder, each goes directly to one of the front calipers. The original lines had one going from the master cylinder and a T connection about half way down to split the lines off for the two calipers.

I have been wanting to replace my existing brake lines on my 55 plate as i have noticed on my last couple of runs the brakes are getting soft and not as responsive as they once were. I know its not the pads themselves as it has not long had a major service. I have looked online for prices and they are anything between £65-£100. Just wondered if anyone has any advice on what make to go for.
You mention an issue with "soft" braking, not long after major service. Is there any chance that you had the pads replaced with another brand? Some pads (organic, in particular) have a very different "feel" and may be less effective than the OEM. I have used SS lines in the past (on another bike) and found some difference (not dramatic). I guess it depends on the condition of the original lines.

Ross

You mention an issue with "soft" braking, not long after major service. Is there any chance that you had the pads replaced with another brand? Some pads (organic, in particular) have a very different "feel" and may be less effective than the OEM. I have used SS lines in the past (on another bike) and found some difference (not dramatic). I guess it depends on the condition of the original lines.

Ross
hi ross,

Thanks for the reply and advice about the pads. I think i`m gonna invest in a new set of hoses as i`ve heard they should be replaced after 4 yrs anyway. I have a feeling that they have just expanded and are just not as effective anymore. We`r heading to ireland next month for a week so going to get them done for the trip. It`ll be a good oppotunity to test the difference out. Thanks again, matt.

There are a few reputable brands, any of which should be equal in performance: Galfer, HEL, and Speigler come to mind. The only real piece of advice I have to offer is go for the 3 line front kit, not the 2 line. The 2 line front kits are nearly impossible to mount properly without the lower triple clamp causing damage to the lines.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I have heared that they can be a real hassel to fit.I think i`m gonna invest in a new set of hoses as i`ve heard they should be replaced after 4 yrs anyway. I have a feeling that they have just expanded and are just not as effective anymore. We`r heading to ireland next month for a week so going to get them done for the trip. It`ll be a good oppotunity to test the difference out. Thanks again.

Gunny Galfers. I have them for the clutch and dual front brake lines. Also had a set on my old Duc and Beemer. Great stuff. :yahoo:

Thanks for the reply and advice. I think i`m gonna invest in a new set of hoses as i`ve heard they should be replaced after 4 yrs anyway. I have a feeling that they have just expanded and are just not as effective anymore. We`r heading to ireland next month for a week :yahoo: so going to get them done for the trip. It`ll be a good oppotunity to test the difference out. Thanks again.

I have the HEL braided brake lines. The look good, work well, and have been on for about 4 years with no problems. My only complaint is that they are much longer than necessary and I had to route them around things to take up the slack. My bike has no ABS so there are two lines stacked on the front master cylinder, each goes directly to one of the front calipers. The original lines had one going from the master cylinder and a T connection about half way down to split the lines off for the two calipers.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I think i`m gonna invest in a new set of hoses as i`ve heard they should be replaced after 4 yrs anyway. I have a feeling that they have just expanded and are just not as effective anymore. We`r heading to ireland next month for a week :yahoo: so going to get them done for the trip. It`ll be a good oppotunity to test the difference out. Thanks again.

Ross

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the reply and advice about the pads. I think i`m gonna invest in a new set of hoses as i`ve heard they should be replaced after 4 yrs anyway. I have a feeling that they have just expanded and are just not as effective anymore. We`r heading to ireland next month for a week :yahoo: so going to get them done for the trip. It`ll be a good oppotunity to test the difference out. Thanks again, Matt.

I think that www.cyclebrakes.com has a Galfer kit for the FJR with ABS. I've bought brakes from them when I had my BMW R1150R and they worked well I liked them. Couldn't tell a difference really at the lever but one of my front lines had ruptured and figured I just get upgraded lines anyway.

https://www.cyclebrakes.net/search.aspx?find=fjr1300

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that www.cyclebrakes.com has a Galfer kit for the FJR with ABS. I've bought brakes from them when I had my BMW R1150R and they worked well I liked them. Couldn't tell a difference really at the lever but one of my front lines had ruptured and figured I just get upgraded lines anyway.
https://www.cyclebrakes.net/search.aspx?find=fjr1300

Thanks for the reply and advice. I`ll check out that website as well. I think i`m gonna invest in a new set of hoses as i`ve heard they should be replaced after 4 yrs anyway. I have a feeling that they have just expanded and are just not as effective anymore. We`r heading to ireland next month for a week :yahoo: so going to get them done for the trip. It`ll be a good oppotunity to test the difference out. Thanks again.

I replaced the originals with Galfer SS lines on my 98 SuperHawk (FireStorm, to you), and it was a substantial improvement. Go with any of the big names, and you should be happy.

I've seen some discussions on this forum that braided lines on the FJR really won't make that much of a difference as the current lines are supposed to be reinforced or something. I have thought about getting SS lines for the sake of looks, but is there a performance difference?

I have a complete set of galfers on my bike. I had rust on the bolts and ends of the lines. I sent in pictures and now have a new set ready to install. Customer service is great. Why did thy rust I have no clue. But hopefully the new ones will not.