Brake light flasher

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joker

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I have these on both of my bikes:

https://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml

On my Hondapotamus I mounted them on the license frame. On the FJR I mounted them up higher - on the trailing edge of the Givi rack.

The install is a breeze, the instructions clear, and the lights really are as bright as they appear on the website.

(And the "conspicuity flicker" is amazing - especially so at night.)

HTH

I have these on both of my bikes:
https://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml

On my Hondapotamus I mounted them on the license frame. On the FJR I mounted them up higher - on the trailing edge of the Givi rack.

The install is a breeze, the instructions clear, and the lights really are as bright as they appear on the website.

(And the "conspicuity flicker" is amazing - especially so at night.)

HTH
Thanks, these are nice lights.

...want to avoid splicing the wire. I was thinking it should be possible by adding the same connectors as are on the bike already and making it plug-and-play. Am I wrong?
First you have a '13 so I dunno the actual wiring scheme. Second, you have a '13 so I don't have to ask if you plan to install a cruise control
wink.png
And finally, speaking of a Gen II, you would like to contact someplace like Eastern Beaver and get a 2 row 6 pin connector pair (M & F) and cobble in at the rear sub frame harness. This will be plug 'n play because you can splice in the flasher at the little section of harness you would be adding with the 6 pin connector pair.

...want to avoid splicing the wire. I was thinking it should be possible by adding the same connectors as are on the bike already and making it plug-and-play. Am I wrong?
First you have a '13 so I dunno the actual wiring scheme. Second, you have a '13 so I don't have to ask if you plan to install a cruise control
wink.png
And finally, speaking of a Gen II, you would like to contact someplace like Eastern Beaver and get a 2 row 6 pin connector pair (M & F) and cobble in at the rear sub frame harness. This will be plug 'n play because you can splice in the flasher at the little section of harness you would be adding with the 6 pin connector pair.
Thanks. I've seen it done with other bikes, but never on the FJR.

Maybe it's an overkill. Just seems like a cleaner install and if something goes wrong with the flasher, you can take it off, reconnect and go.

wink.png
I believe this is what you need "6 Position 090 HM Connector" from Eastern Beaver, plus a crimp tool if you don't already have one..............

If you don't feel like making one yourself, you could always try the Admore extender (although I seem to remember they don't sell the extender without the light kit)! Anyway it will give you some idea of what you are looking for.

...Just seems like a cleaner install and if something goes wrong with the flasher, you can take it off, reconnect and go.
For the same reason, this is a drawing I made to Tee at the coil for my AVCC install.

CoilTee.jpg

I've had mods that flashed the OEM brake lights on some other bikes. The FJR has so little light back there to begin with, I didn't like the idea of them being off part of the time when the brakes were on. I went with the Hyper-Lites because I'd ridden behind a friend in rural GA who had them and there was no missing them.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/hyper/hyper.html

In that, I show how I extracted the proper pins from the multi-gang connector so I could tap into the power without compromising the insulation of the harness.

I've had mods that flashed the OEM brake lights on some other bikes. The FJR has so little light back there to begin with, I didn't like the idea of them being off part of the time when the brakes were on. I went with the Hyper-Lites because I'd ridden behind a friend in rural GA who had them and there was no missing them.
https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/hyper/hyper.html

In that, I show how I extracted the proper pins from the multi-gang connector so I could tap into the power without compromising the insulation of the harness.
Where is the multi-gang connector that you taped into? I have a GenII and there isn't one under the seat that I can find. The only one that I can see is under the left side panel. It's a 6 pin connector... is this the correct connector for GENII (2007 in my case)?

I've been using the brake light flasher unit from Signal Dynamics on a couple bikes for 8-9 years and they've been bulletproof. They provide two outputs which offer different flash patterns. The documentation was silent on the subject but for 8 years I have used both outputs. The first to the existing brake light and the second to a Signal Dynamics license plate frame with LED bar. The second is illuminated only by brakes (no running light function). So it is much like the center light in your car and is very noticeable. Because I have two different flash patterns for the first few seconds after applying brakes there is a regular light show back there. The LED bar continues flashing as long as the brakes are activated. Works for me.