Brake Pad Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Don't know if I should go stock, EBC, Spiegler, or????????? What have you used, and how did they work out? Looking for actual experience, concerning braking effectiveness as well as rotor wear and pad life, if possible.

16 thou and change. Inside pad on one caliper wore twice as much as the out so replacement is a little premature. Just a little sticky piston action, no big deal. But oe pads retail for about $45, same as a lot of good aftermarket pads, and more than many others that are available, and I haven't seen anything written on what guys may be favoring, other than the Spieglers on the GB a while back. I want good action, but I don't want to be wasting the rotors in one set either. If there is something better than oe, I'd like to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
16 thou and change.  Inside pad on one caliper wore twice as much as the out so replacement is a little premature.  Just a little sticky piston action, no big deal.  But oe pads retail for about $45, same as a lot of good aftermarket pads, and more than many others that are available, and I haven't seen anything written on what guys may be favoring, other than the Spieglers on the GB a while back.  I want good action, but I don't want to be wasting the rotors in one set either.  If there is something better than oe, I'd like to know.
First, I'm hearing/seeing more of this wear deviation between the inner and outer pads. Why is this?

Second, it's 'posed to rain here all next week and I'm going to change the brake lines and pads to the Spiegler/Carbone Lorraines, I'll let you know my opinion if you give a shit and if I don't do a face plant into a canyon wall - Skooter trained me on the brake line change... :scare:

Rad, I picked up the EBC standards for <$60 at Midwest Motorcycle Supply up on 44th and Nicollet in Minneapolis. They've got them hanging on the rack.

These are the closest to OEM's....the easiest on your rotors.

Radman,

FWIW, I had installed the Carbone Lorrain pads early on. My first impression was that the rear pads are deliberately less effective to keep us Dumb Shits from locking up the rear brakes.

Since this Dumb Shit has ABS and also always has a passenger, I wanted the maximum braking in the rear as well as the front. Hitting a deer will do that to you.

I replaced the Spiegler supplied Carbone Lorrain rear pads with EBC. EBC provides the same pads for the rear as they do for the front.

What an improvement in braking! I really believe that I would have been able to stop short of hitting that damned doe if I had the EBC pads on the rear.

dobias <_<

Rears are in good shape-I just noticed a thinner inside on the left when I did the whole Wilbers/Fluid/Yearly drain thing. Even the thin one isn't near mini's, I just like everything all nice and even when starting the season out. Thanks for the input. V, I assume that was for two sets at Midwest? And did you get the sintered or Kevlars?

V, I assume that was for two sets at Midwest? And did you get the sintered or Kevlars?
Yes, that was 2 sets. Just the Kevlar ones. I've not had good luck with EBC's sintered on my wife's ZZR1200, horendous squealing.